Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Family

  • TinaS
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 1, 2010
      I personally use Legacy and really like the program. There is a free version and a paid version.

      As for the information CD's that you can get with certain FTM programs. In the past, I had gotten the more expensive one so that I could have the CD's. While they do have info on them, I did not have the right ones with info on my family. Also I have seen some of them online at ancestry now and also in other locations online.

      Look closely at the CD's to see if they are the right location and the right timeline for your ancestors. I would also check and see if you can get that info online at ancestry. I would also google it because many books have been placed online.

      Happy Hunting.
      Tina

      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Rachel <rachel.sibiosanchez@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > least another generation on a significant part of my family. It didn't
      > strike home for me on how much some of this information can mean to other
      > members of my family. Late last year, I had printed out some information on
      > a man I had found, and was visiting my grandparents and asked my Grandpa
      > about this man, who was his Grandfather. He was floored and was really happy
      > that I had found that info. He looked at the printouts I had brought with
      > for about two hours just re-reading what was there.
      >
      > What I would like to be able to do for both him and my Grandmother, is make
      > sure that for both sides of their families that the data is cleaned up,
      > verified as much as possible and in a presentation format for them. My
      > thoughts are that the best way to do this is a mix of an online resource and
      > a program that can work together to avoid any more human error data entry
      > issues.
      >
      > Ironically, I would say that our biggest brick wall is our original GEDCOM
      > file. As my family file had information from quite a few sources over quite
      > a few generations. There is a fair amount of duplications, missing info and
      > errors/typos in it which need to be fixed and a significant amount of the
      > individuals who provided the oral history are no longer with us.
      > Additionally there is a second major brick wall on my Dad's side of the
      > family. The Sibio's can be lumped into two groups. The PA Sibio's and All
      > the others (that started in NY)... We all trace back to one of those two
      > groups. The suspicion is that we are related somehow. We just haven't been
      > able to get far enough back in time/back to Italy to prove or disprove it.
      > Which requires access to international databases. As well as it being
      > important for me to be able to export chunks of the file to pass along to
      > the others. They are not necessarily interested in my cousin's distant
      > relatives, etc...
      >
      > Nancy - looking back at my originally email, it the only links I see are
      > ones that my email seemed to process funny as I was replying to someone
      > else's post. I think they are just the basic ones we get at the bottom of
      > each email for the Yahoo Group.
      >
      > As for the brick walls. I was really beginning to doubt the existence of my
      > Great Grandparents on my Dad's paternal line because of lack of records
      > (finally got a marriage certificate # as proof that they at least got
      > married). I would just say keep trying to chip away at it.
      >
      > George - Which program are you using as you mentioned several?
      >
      > Rachel
      >
      > I will not drink Greek Coffee at 9PM -- me
      > "Everything about my family is strange." -- Miss. Parker
      > How Much Trouble Could I Get Into.... - Me
      > "This is my life Jackie, it's not fun, it's not smart, it's just standing up
      > and make a decision because no one else will" – The 9th Doctor
      > "It is like Godzilla vs Bambi and we are Bambi" - Unknown person

    • Bloodhound; Kermit
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 1, 2010
        Rachel -

        It's been many years since I bought my copy of FTM (with some CDs),
        and I would say that most of the CDs were not of any great use to me
        (at least, not on my own ancestry). HOWEVER - you sometimes find
        the one CD that is the proverbial goldmine of ancestral information. And I've found that some of those older "bonus material" CDs are now available on the Internet (possibly not in identical format, however).
        AND -
        the most useful CD I ever purchased was *not* from the FTM people.

        So, I suggest that you -
        1) check out what CDs are included in the packages, and see if you really want those CDs, see if they would be useful to you.
        2) buy the cheapest package - that is, the package that has the most software but the least "bonus material".
        3) If you really want one or more of the CDs, you can buy them separately (after determining that the material is not already available on the Internet).

        - Tom Knox

        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Rachel <rachel.sibiosanchez@...> wrote:

        > Bit of background on me and why I am interested in finding some sort of program in addition to online, but why I am specifically looking at FTM compared to other options. And then a response to a question someone else asked and a question of my own at the bottom. :)
        >
        > I have tried the free programs and trial versions of paid programs out there and have not been happy with them. (that being said, I don't know that I have tried all of them) I did get a chance to test run Family Tree Maker, and that is the one that I like best out of the group. I have an Ancestry.com account, and part of the appeal of FTM is that you can connect it to your account. My original questions was if anyone had any input on the different versions (which is a resource CD with different levels of materials on them) as I haven't decided that this is the right path for me yet. There are three options, and the bonus material with each is resource CDs that contains some books, not anything specifically to do with the program itself. I am just wondering if anyone else had any reviews on the resource CD part of the different versions.

      • george burnash
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 1, 2010
          On 4/1/2010 1:33 PM, Rachel wrote:

          > George - Which program are you using as you mentioned several?

          I'm using Rootsmagic 4, which I absolutely love. This was after trying
          several of the free versions and trials out there. I like the program
          so much that I upgraded to the fully paid version, and I haven't been
          sorry in the least. It's an absolutely wonderful program.

          I do also have a copy of Legacy on my computer as my cousin who also
          does some work on the tree uses an older copy of that. When he updates
          his file he will sometimes send me a copy of it, and I'll use that and
          compare it to what I've got so far.

          I know a lot of people like FTM for it's interaction with Ancestry, but
          I just find I can do so much more, get more information, and it's so
          much easier finding problems and correcting them. It was shocking to me
          the first time I did an error and problem search on Rootsmagic, and how
          many more issues it turned up than the others- ones that Ancestry never
          found at all, and many that even FTM overlooked. That was all I needed
          to convince me. :)

          George

          --
          With God, life is one thrill ride you'll never want to get off of.