Re: [Genealogy Research Club] guidance needed with German research

  • Mark Rabideau
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2010
      Hi Cindy,

      Few German graves remain for much longer than 40 years unless the family
      continues to pay rent for the plot. So unless your relative was famous
      you may have limited success in finding a grave. As for being RC... the
      name is a dead give away. He was.

      Pax Vobiscum,
      ...mark (Mark Rabideau)

      Visit us at: http://many-roads.com
      Snail mail at:
      711 Nob Hill Trail
      Franktown,CO USA 80116-8717

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2010
        I would suggest you to call the cemetery (Friedhof) in Eller and asked them
        if they have your ancestor there or any one with the same last name. I went
        through the same experience, I called a cemetery in a remote town in Spain
        and what I found was priceless.Address:

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1, 2010
          Cindy: It is highly usual to find a old grave in Europe. Their burial customs are different from ours. They normally only use a grave for 40-50 years and then the land is reused for another grave. On burial the family just pays for the rent for the set period. Occasionally future descendents may pay for another period but usually the space would be reused for other family members. But you may be able to find his church and home area.
          Before you go you should search the LDS Family History Library microfilm for the churches in the area and try to find him listed. Many of the old German church records are microfilmed and can be sent to your local Family History Library for viewing for a small fee.

          Good Luck
          Clark

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 3, 2010
            --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "vickivinyl@..." <vickivinyl@...> wrote:

            > In Nov. 2010, we'll be visiting for the first time, in Germany, . We think the family may have been Roman Catholic, but are not sure. How can I narrow down my search?
            > Cindy Allen

            Cindy,

            you might also want to check to see if they were of the Lutheran faith. Many Germans became disenchanted with the Catholic church and became Lutherans.
          • Walter Palmer
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 3, 2010

              > you might also want to check to see if they were of the Lutheran faith. Many Germans became disenchanted with the Catholic church and became Lutherans.

              Starting in 1520, I believe. ;-)

              Seriously, Northern Germans and Scandinavians (and the odd Englishman) tend to be Lutheran. Bavarians and Austrians tend to be Catholic.