Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Family

  • george burnash
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 31, 2010
      There are a lot of things that almost any genealogy software program can
      do that Ancestry can't.

      In keeping track of your tree, they can often display more of the tree
      at a time than ancestry, show more detail, provide more information, and
      provide more options for how to present that. But that's not their
      strengths.

      Error correction and problem searches- something that ancestry doesn't
      have at all- is a huge plus. It's amazing how many people you find on
      ancestry born before their parents, born before their parents marriages,
      duplicated people, people having kids at 6 years old, people living to
      be 150 years old, etc. You'll never find them on ancestry unless you're
      very very nitpicky, and even then you'll miss a lot. Software programs
      like FTM, Rootsmagic, Legacy and others all have the capability to find
      those for you, point them out to you, and help you correct them.

      Duplicate people on Ancestry is another major issue. There is no simple
      way to merge someone that occurs more than once on your tree. You have
      to manually add in all the information to one person, delete duplicates
      one at a time, and then re-add the already existing people. It's a
      major pain in the neck. With software it's a simple search, compare,
      and merge and you're done.

      Want to make a printed report? Ancestry's are very limited, and
      anything nice will cost you more $$. Not with software which can
      provide a wealth of other options.

      Want to make a family DVD presentation? Publish a book for family
      members with the info? Put up your own website to make it easier to
      find you? And many other options? All done with software and not on
      ancestry.

      And there's much more more. I color code my trees so when I'm looking
      at someone I know exactly who they are an ancestor or descendant of and
      not wondering how they're related. I can look at two people and the
      program will tell me how they're related. I can use a free add in that
      will recommend paths for me to research and look next- places that
      ancestry doesn't offer. The list goes on.

      Ancestry is a GREAT resource, but there is so much that it lacks
      compared to programs like Rootsmagic.

      George

      --
      ------------------------------------
      With God, life is one thrill ride you'll never want to get off of.
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 31, 2010
        Hi Rachel,
        I tried the URL that you have in your message regarding the great help at
        ancestry. After I clicked on it , it came up in my browser bar and did not
        open. I tried it in both places in your messages. Am I doing something
        wrong? Does someone in Ancestry help with brick walls?
        Thank you for your time and help.
        Nancy

        On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 3:58 PM, Rachel <rachel.sibiosanchez@...>wrote:

        > For me, my interest is in the reports that it can do.
        >
        > Rachel
        >
        > I will not drink Greek Coffee at 9PM -- me
        > "Everything about my family is strange." -- Miss. Parker
        > How Much Trouble Could I Get Into.... - Me
        > "This is my life Jackie, it�s not fun, it�s not smart, it�s just standing
        > up
        > and make a decision because no one else will� � The 9th Doctor
        > "It is like Godzilla vs Bambi and we are Bambi" - Unknown person
        >

        > On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 4:23 PM, Linda Pellett <lspellett@...>
        > wrote:
        >
        > > Why would you need/want FTM when you have Ancestry.com? I'm just curious
        > > if it's something I should be checking out. I'm about as far as I can go
        > on
        > > Ancestry.com. I've hit some walls and when I search, nothing comes up.

      • Rachel
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 1, 2010
          Bit of background on me and why I am interested in finding some sort of
          program in addition to online, but why I am specifically looking at FTM
          compared to other options. And then a response to a question someone else
          asked and a question of my own at the bottom. :)

          I have tried the free programs and trial versions of paid programs out there
          and have not been happy with them. (that being said, I don't know that I
          have tried all of them) I did get a chance to test run Family Tree Maker,
          and that is the one that I like best out of the group. I have an
          Ancestry.com account, and part of the appeal of FTM is that you can connect
          it to your account. My original questions was if anyone had any input on the
          different versions (which is a resource CD with different levels of
          materials on them) as I haven't decided that this is the right path for me
          yet. There are three options, and the bonus material with each is resource
          CDs that contains some books, not anything specifically to do with the
          program itself. I am just wondering if anyone else had any reviews on the
          resource CD part of the different versions.

          I resisted paying for any resources for the last decade, as technically the
          information a lot of paid resources help you access are documents/data that
          is open to everyone in various formats but require (in my experience) a lot
          more digging and requests to the government or libraries which often have
          fees. That being said, I wished i'd kicked my self in the bum awhile ago
          and done it a few years back. I have been able to do more in the last few
          months then we had been able to do in the last few years as we were at a
          point that required some access to international data. I was able to add at
          least another generation on a significant part of my family. It didn't
          strike home for me on how much some of this information can mean to other
          members of my family. Late last year, I had printed out some information on
          a man I had found, and was visiting my grandparents and asked my Grandpa
          about this man, who was his Grandfather. He was floored and was really happy
          that I had found that info. He looked at the printouts I had brought with
          for about two hours just re-reading what was there.

          What I would like to be able to do for both him and my Grandmother, is make
          sure that for both sides of their families that the data is cleaned up,
          verified as much as possible and in a presentation format for them. My
          thoughts are that the best way to do this is a mix of an online resource and
          a program that can work together to avoid any more human error data entry
          issues.

          Ironically, I would say that our biggest brick wall is our original GEDCOM
          file. As my family file had information from quite a few sources over quite
          a few generations. There is a fair amount of duplications, missing info and
          errors/typos in it which need to be fixed and a significant amount of the
          individuals who provided the oral history are no longer with us.
          Additionally there is a second major brick wall on my Dad's side of the
          family. The Sibio's can be lumped into two groups. The PA Sibio's and All
          the others (that started in NY)... We all trace back to one of those two
          groups. The suspicion is that we are related somehow. We just haven't been
          able to get far enough back in time/back to Italy to prove or disprove it.
          Which requires access to international databases. As well as it being
          important for me to be able to export chunks of the file to pass along to
          the others. They are not necessarily interested in my cousin's distant
          relatives, etc...

          Nancy - looking back at my originally email, it the only links I see are
          ones that my email seemed to process funny as I was replying to someone
          else's post. I think they are just the basic ones we get at the bottom of
          each email for the Yahoo Group.

          As for the brick walls. I was really beginning to doubt the existence of my
          Great Grandparents on my Dad's paternal line because of lack of records
          (finally got a marriage certificate # as proof that they at least got
          married). I would just say keep trying to chip away at it.

          George - Which program are you using as you mentioned several?

          Rachel

          I will not drink Greek Coffee at 9PM -- me
          "Everything about my family is strange." -- Miss. Parker
          How Much Trouble Could I Get Into.... - Me
          "This is my life Jackie, it�s not fun, it�s not smart, it�s just standing up
          and make a decision because no one else will� � The 9th Doctor
          "It is like Godzilla vs Bambi and we are Bambi" - Unknown person

        • TinaS
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 1, 2010
            I personally use Legacy and really like the program. There is a free version and a paid version.

            As for the information CD's that you can get with certain FTM programs. In the past, I had gotten the more expensive one so that I could have the CD's. While they do have info on them, I did not have the right ones with info on my family. Also I have seen some of them online at ancestry now and also in other locations online.

            Look closely at the CD's to see if they are the right location and the right timeline for your ancestors. I would also check and see if you can get that info online at ancestry. I would also google it because many books have been placed online.

            Happy Hunting.
            Tina

            --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Rachel <rachel.sibiosanchez@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > else's post. I think they are just the basic ones we get at the bottom of
            > each email for the Yahoo Group.
            >
            > As for the brick walls. I was really beginning to doubt the existence of my
            > Great Grandparents on my Dad's paternal line because of lack of records
            > (finally got a marriage certificate # as proof that they at least got
            > married). I would just say keep trying to chip away at it.
            >
            > George - Which program are you using as you mentioned several?
            >
            > Rachel
            >
            > I will not drink Greek Coffee at 9PM -- me
            > "Everything about my family is strange." -- Miss. Parker
            > How Much Trouble Could I Get Into.... - Me
            > "This is my life Jackie, it's not fun, it's not smart, it's just standing up
            > and make a decision because no one else will" – The 9th Doctor
            > "It is like Godzilla vs Bambi and we are Bambi" - Unknown person

          • Bloodhound; Kermit
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 1, 2010
              Rachel -

              It's been many years since I bought my copy of FTM (with some CDs),
              and I would say that most of the CDs were not of any great use to me
              (at least, not on my own ancestry). HOWEVER - you sometimes find
              the one CD that is the proverbial goldmine of ancestral information. And I've found that some of those older "bonus material" CDs are now available on the Internet (possibly not in identical format, however).
              AND -
              the most useful CD I ever purchased was *not* from the FTM people.

              So, I suggest that you -
              1) check out what CDs are included in the packages, and see if you really want those CDs, see if they would be useful to you.
              2) buy the cheapest package - that is, the package that has the most software but the least "bonus material".
              3) If you really want one or more of the CDs, you can buy them separately (after determining that the material is not already available on the Internet).

              - Tom Knox

              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 1, 2010
                On 4/1/2010 1:33 PM, Rachel wrote:

                > George - Which program are you using as you mentioned several?

                I'm using Rootsmagic 4, which I absolutely love. This was after trying
                several of the free versions and trials out there. I like the program
                so much that I upgraded to the fully paid version, and I haven't been
                sorry in the least. It's an absolutely wonderful program.

                I do also have a copy of Legacy on my computer as my cousin who also
                does some work on the tree uses an older copy of that. When he updates
                his file he will sometimes send me a copy of it, and I'll use that and
                compare it to what I've got so far.

                I know a lot of people like FTM for it's interaction with Ancestry, but
                I just find I can do so much more, get more information, and it's so
                much easier finding problems and correcting them. It was shocking to me
                the first time I did an error and problem search on Rootsmagic, and how
                many more issues it turned up than the others- ones that Ancestry never
                found at all, and many that even FTM overlooked. That was all I needed
                to convince me. :)

                George

                --
                With God, life is one thrill ride you'll never want to get off of.