Translation from French to English? (cross posting)

  • george burnash
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 31, 2010
      Much of my family on my father's side is originally from French Quebec,
      some of which I've actually traced back to some of the original
      settlers. That means I've been dealing with a lot of French documents.
      Unfortunately, I don't speak a bit of French, and my Spanish often
      isn't helpful.

      One of the documents I've been given is a 40 page genealogy, illustrated
      and apparently well written. But it's all in French. I've tried Google
      docs, and it appears to translate it, but for some reason I've found it
      impossible to save the translation. I haven't even been able to find an
      option. And other services I've looked at are just to far outside of my
      price range to even think about.

      Does anyone know of a good translation service that is cheap that would
      be able to work on this for me? Or does anyone know of someone that
      enjoys doing things like this just out of the kindness of their hearts?
      (yeah, I know, that's probably stretching a bit, but one can always hope)

      Thanks much for any input and assistance.

      George Burnash

      --
      ------------------------------------
      With God, life is one thrill ride you'll never want to get off of.
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 2010
        Why not upload the document to the Group/Files folder and see what may
        come of it.

        Bob
        Cdn
        --

        http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hiflyte/*
        Interested in Ireland Genealogy, visit the IGP Archives.*

      • george burnash
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 1, 2010
          Thanks for the idea. I mentioned to my cousin what I was doing and he
          sent along a second document to go along with it! Ack! So I've
          uploaded both of them to the files section of the group. One is a 24
          page document, the other is a 42 page one. There are pictures and other
          illustrations in them. You can find them at:

          And look for the 2 pdf files title "genealogie bernatchez"

          Thanks so much for anyone willing to help. Hopefully some others will
          also get some good info from them.

          George

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 3, 2010
            Google translation will convert the file to English with some mistakes
            but the jest of the article can be interpreted . I am having trouble
            saving the translation but when one hi-lights a portion then cut and
            paste it to Word/or such it appears to work. Now this saving bit has
            got my attention and I will have to see if there is some method of
            beating the Goolge restrictions of saving the whole doc. or maybe it is
            just the method used in approaching the task.

            Go to Google:
            http://translate.google.ca/?hl=en&oe=UTF-8&ned=ca&tab=nT#
            Use the "upload a document" in blue to load the doc
            It works fine for me other than the saving bit.
            You have to be signed into Google I believe (my acct is on auto sign-in)

            Bob
            Cdn.