Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Heinrich Boos (e)

  • Walter Palmer
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 15, 2010
      Thank you - this is genealogy - everything is a long shot.

      I dead end with him, but the name was either 'Boose' or 'Boos' from him on, so I doubt that he changed it that much. He is listed as being Swiss - from Basel - where even today a very large percentage of the population is either a Boos or a Boose. I think this is true, because my relatives (including my brother, mother and myself. As were mom's brothers.) are taller than average. Ceasar said that the Helveti are tall. Also, there were character traits that you might expect of the Swiss evident in the family. I know that this may be a stereotype, but stereotypes don't get to be stereotypes without a large grain of truth.

      For example, my mother thought that all genealogy could be done by writing Vital Statistics. Everything is recorded and recorded properly, isn't it? I didn't have the heart to explain to her...

      I expect that there are short, messy Swiss, but that they are a minority.

      I am resigned to making a trip to Manchester, MD and trying to find what the baptismal records for his son Peter show. I am descended from his other son, John. We know about him because I have a digital copy of the land grant he got "from Andy Jackson" for fighting in the War of 1812. This is near Rockville IN. My mother had living family there, so that is nailed down.

      Back to Heinrich: he is supposed to have been born in 1760, which would have made him young for the Revolution, but there is no record of how or when he reached these shores. I can't even be sure that the 1760 dare is right.

      My wife retires in June and a trip out that way may be our first long trip.

      On Mar 15, 2010, at 12:24 PM, bigred1442 wrote:

      > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Walter Palmer <walterpalmer@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> Thanks!
      >>

      >> On Mar 13, 2010, at 2:03 PM, Scott wrote:
      >>
      >>> Walter, I've found the DAR website to be quite helpful, and free!
      >>>
      >>> http://216.36.105.133/DAR_Research/Search/default.cfm?myaction=acknowledge
      >>>
      >>> I did a quick search, and found a "Henry Booser"...not sure if this is your ancestor, but here is his DAR page:
      >>>
      >>> http://216.36.105.133/DAR_Research/search_adb/?action=full&p_id=A012152
      >>>
      >>> Hope that helps,
      >>> Scott Leonard

      > Walter, I have a book "Pennsylvania Vital Records from the Pennsylvania Genealogical Magazine and the Pennsylvania Magazine of History and Biography, Volume I".
      > It shows two listings for BOOS.
      > One is a Rev. Joh. Wm. Boos who is shown as baptizing children the years of 1771 to 1805 for the Heidelberg Ref. cong.
      > The other is Wm. Boos who is listed at the baptismal of William Hemsinger, 16July1796. Perhaps he was the godfather.
      > The church was in Berks County.
      >
      > Maybe these are relatives of your Boos.
      > Don't know if this helps. Might just be a long shot.
      > Good luck, Diane

    • everything.relative
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 16, 2010
        Found this on the LDS site, you may already have it:

        http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp

        Heinrich Boose
        Birth: 30 Oct 1760 - Basel, Switzerland
        Death: 7 Aug 1834 - Rockville, Parke, Indiana, USA
        Marriage: 1785 - Pennsylvania, United States
        Spouse: Dorothy Baumgartner

        Here is a link that may give you some additional information on how to go about finding Military information on your relative:

        http://www.genealogy.com/24_myra.html

        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Walter" <walterpalmer@...> wrote:

        > was reputed to have lived in Lancaster Co., PA at the time of the Revolution. I find him and his wife (Dorotea Baumgarterin) baptizing on of my g g g g g uncles across the state line in Maryland.
        >
        > I am trying to find out:
        >
        > Did he serve in the Revolution? (He was Swiss, but not Amish, the ceremony mentioned earlier took place in a Lutheran Church)
        >
        > If so, did he do so from PA or MD?
        >
        > Google searches don't do much for me. That was how I discovered the Maryland connection, but there is no mention of Revolutionary service. He spelled his name Boose or Boos, seemingly, as the spirit of the moment moved him. (This seems to be common with the holders of that surname, and they are not unknown in Switzerland, Germany and England)
        >
        > Are there free lists of Revolutionary soldiers? I might be willing to pay for a one time search or very limited subscription, but I don't want any entanglements.
        >
        > Thanks

      • Walter Palmer
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 16, 2010
          Thanks! I have that through other sources, but a confirmation of accuracy important! I guess one of my relatives is a Mormon!