Wall

  • Ruben Ayala
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 12 1:04 PM
      Hello all -

      I've been researching my wife's genealogy line for a few years and have made progress, but of course, have encountered several brick walls. This is one that has me stumped. I wonder if there is someone that can help me with this one. I am looking for any information on a John Shippy (Shippey). I know he was married to a Martha Jane Cronk (born ca. 1834 in NY) and they had these children:

      Caroline (Carrie) b: 1856 (married Thomas Gough and lived in Boone County, Illinois - this is my wife's ggrandmother)
      Harriet Emma b:1857 (married Josiah Barlow and settled in Minnesota)
      Elmer R b: ca. 1861 (married Louise *** and settled in Boone County, Illinois)
      George W b: 1864 (unmarried and appears he lived with sister Harriet Emma in Minnesota)
      Asahel b: ca 1868 (unmarried and lived in Illinois)

      I found Martha Jane in the household of her parents Asahel and Mary (Polly) Cronk in 1860 and 1870 in Walworth County, Wisconsin. No John Shippy is listed there in the household for these 2 censuses. I see from several of the censuses under the children listing that their father (John) was born either in Canada (Eng) or Canada (French) as it was listed several ways. In 1873 I have found that Mrs. Martha J. Shippy marries a Parkhill Sherman in Boone County, Illinois. I presume she is a widow at this point.

      So basically I have John Shippy, who I know was the husband, but I have no idea where he was during those censuses of 1860 and 1870. It seems that in the 1860 census, several of the children are listed and in 1870 all of them are listed. So he either traveled around and was back to father the children or they were not all his children. In the1880 Illinois census, Asahel Shippy is listed as Asahel Sherman. He could have been adopted or maybe he just took the Sherman name. However, at this point any info or suggestions would be appreciated as I'm not certain where to turn.

      Thanks for your help

      -----ruben