New and looking for help

  • neimo82
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 9, 2010
      Hi everyone. I would very much like to work on some genealogy for my family to pass along to my children. But don't really know where to start. Could you all give me some tips and hints and things to get me started in the right direction? I would appreciate it so much.
      Thanks!
      Brooke
    • davidbswayze
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 11, 2010
        Hi Brooke

        The best first step is to talk to all of your relatives and gather their knowledge. Get any documents you can get your hands on(birth, death and marriage) Set up a pedigree chart so you know you are in the family tree at a glance. Work backwards using one generation to point you to the previous. Information online can be incorrect, but it can lead you in the right direction. Check with other people working your family lines also. On Ancestry . com it will link you to others who seem to be in the same family as you. I have met several people working other branches of my family. Don't forget to check out family bibles and scrapbooks. Scan pictures and send unidentified ones to family members for identification.
        Don't wait too long as I did. I only have a few relatives older than me to work with. You might find others as you go.

        Dave Swayze