Re: [Genealogy Research Club] need help with lookups

  • Pamela Gray
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 9, 2010
      Based on the 1930 Census, he arrived in 1880 or 1890 Can't read it very well.  Victoria arrived in 1900.

      Using the spelling of the last name, neither one arrived through Ellis Island.  You might try different spellings.  That's what I had to do on my Polish ancestors.

      http://www.ellisisland.org/search/passSearch.asp

      The Census takers did not always spell the names correctly. It took me three years to find my great grandparents whom emmegrated from Poland.  Actually, the Austrian Partition of Galicia, what is now Poland.

      Here is the website for the LDS Search.  You can try there too.

      http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#start

      I found many variations in the spelling of the name.  Also, their first names may have been changed or they changed them to be more Americanized.  That was the case with  my ancestors.  It was difficult to find actual names.  Just keep trying.

      Sorry I'm not much help, but hope some of this works.

      Pam
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 9, 2010
        1930 Old Forge, Lackawanna, Pennsylvania
        Zukoski, Stanley, head 55 married at age 20 born Poland
        - immigration 1890; miner, coal mine
        (), Victoria, wife 54 married at age 19 born Poland
        - immigration 1900 (all children born Pennsylvania )
        (), Della/20, Francis/18, Felix/15, Stella/11, Margaret/2+10m

        1920 Old Forge Ward 2, Lackawanna, Pennsylvania
        Zoskoskie, Stanley/48:Russia/imm:1885, Victoria/42:Austria/imm:1899,
        (), Steph/25:PA/widowed, Tellie/16/dau, Della/14, Vanda/12,
        (), Francis/7, Falex/5, Stella/2, Mary/3/granddaughter

        1910 Old Forge Ward 2, Lackawanna, Pennsylvania
        Zucosky, Stankj, head 38 married.1 15 yrs born Russia imm.1890
        (), Victoria, wife 34 married.1 15 yrs born Russia imm.1894
        - 10 children 6 living
        (), Stephen/14:PA, Edward/13, Sophie/7, Tillie/5, Adella/3, Vanda/2

        I didn't find an appropriate household in 1900.
        (It could be that the lastname is seriously mangled.)

        For emigration - large numbers of emigrants came through Ellis Island
        http://www.ellisisland.org/
        and before Ellis Island was Castle Garden (NY)
        http://www.castlegarden.org/
        but many came through Boston & Philadelphia & Baltimore as well.
        There are also the Naturalization Records for Stan and Victoria -
        the problem is in locating which court has them.

        - Tom Knox

        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "dhartomine" <dhartomine@...> wrote:

        > Hi everyone!! Can anyone do a couple of lookups for me?
        >
        > The first is 1930 Census record for a Stanley Zukoski. His spouse was Victori Kmeic. His dob approx. 1872 I believe in Poland. He resided in 1930 was Lackawanna county pennsylvania but unsure of city. These are my grt. grt. grandparents and I really don't have much info from relatives who are still alive. I also need advice on how to look up when the immigrated to this country.
        >
        > Second, I was looking for military records for a Steve Zukoski for ww1.
        >
        > I have really hit a dead end for Stanley and Victori I have been trying to find the dates and places of death but come up with nothing!\
        >
        > Any help any one can offer me would be greatly appreciated!

      • barbara erickson
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 9, 2010
          Hi, I found Stanley, Age 75 living with his daughter and family, Anna M Age 32. If this is him I can email you the census. Will keep looking for the others. Barb

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 9, 2010
            I just found Starley ( Stanley ) Zaezycki. He was with Victoria in Detroit, Mich. I can send this if you want also. The image is not very clear so the spelling can be off. Barb

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 9, 2010
              Do you have any kind of b-date on Steve. The last name has all kinds of spellings so it would help to have more information. Barb

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 9, 2010
                You will need to try varations of the last name ....

                --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "dhartomine" <dhartomine@...> wrote:

                > Hi everyone!! Can anyone do a couple of lookups for me?
                >
                > The first is 1930 Census record for a Stanley Zukoski. His spouse was Victori Kmeic. His dob approx. 1872 I believe in Poland. He resided in 1930 was Lackawanna county pennsylvania but unsure of city. These are my grt. grt. grandparents and I really don't have much info from relatives who are still alive. I also need advice on how to look up when the immigrated to this country.
                >
                > Second, I was looking for military records for a Steve Zukoski for ww1.
                >
                > I have really hit a dead end for Stanley and Victori I have been trying to find the dates and places of death but come up with nothing!\
                >
                > Any help any one can offer me would be greatly appreciated!

              • tomknox2001
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 10, 2010
                  in 1910 and 1920, I would expect him to be in Lackawanna County
                  in 1917/8 for the Draft Registration - -
                  and here he is - - -

                  Name: Steve Zakoski
                  Address: 167 Casper Taylor, Pa
                  County: Lackawanna, Pennsylvania
                  Birthplace: Malby, (county?), Pennsylvania
                  Birth Date: 24 Mar 1895
                  Race: Caucasian (White)
                  FHL Roll Number: 1893477
                  Occupation: Laborer, Coal Co, Old Forge
                  Married, Wife & Child
                  Registration: Old Forge, PA, June 5, 1917

                  - Tom Knox

                  --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "dhartomine" <dhartomine@...> wrote:

                  > Hi everyone!! Can anyone do a couple of lookups for me?
                  >
                  > The first is 1930 Census record for a Stanley Zukoski. His spouse was Victori Kmeic. His dob approx. 1872 I believe in Poland. He resided in 1930 was Lackawanna county pennsylvania but unsure of city. These are my grt. grt. grandparents and I really don't have much info from relatives who are still alive. I also need advice on how to look up when the immigrated to this country.
                  >
                  > Second, I was looking for military records for a Steve Zukoski for ww1.
                  >
                  > I have really hit a dead end for Stanley and Victori I have been trying to find the dates and places of death but come up with nothing!\
                  >
                  > Any help any one can offer me would be greatly appreciated!

                • Dawne Hartman
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 10, 2010
                    I want to thank all of you that have helped me.  The biggest problem I have know is that
                    I am addicted!!! LOL  The more information I find the more I want to find!!!  Again, Thank you!!!