need help with lookups

  • dhartomine
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 9, 2010
      Hi everyone!! Can anyone do a couple of lookups for me?

      The first is 1930 Census record for a Stanley Zukoski. His spouse was Victori Kmeic. His dob approx. 1872 I believe in Poland. He resided in 1930 was Lackawanna county pennsylvania but unsure of city. These are my grt. grt. grandparents and I really don't have much info from relatives who are still alive. I also need advice on how to look up when the immigrated to this country.

      Second, I was looking for military records for a Steve Zukoski for ww1.

      I have really hit a dead end for Stanley and Victori I have been trying to find the dates and places of death but come up with nothing!\

      Any help any one can offer me would be greatly appreciated!
    • Pamela Gray
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 9, 2010
        Based on the 1930 Census, he arrived in 1880 or 1890 Can't read it very well.  Victoria arrived in 1900.

        Using the spelling of the last name, neither one arrived through Ellis Island.  You might try different spellings.  That's what I had to do on my Polish ancestors.

        http://www.ellisisland.org/search/passSearch.asp

        The Census takers did not always spell the names correctly. It took me three years to find my great grandparents whom emmegrated from Poland.  Actually, the Austrian Partition of Galicia, what is now Poland.

        Here is the website for the LDS Search.  You can try there too.

        http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#start

        I found many variations in the spelling of the name.  Also, their first names may have been changed or they changed them to be more Americanized.  That was the case with  my ancestors.  It was difficult to find actual names.  Just keep trying.

        Sorry I'm not much help, but hope some of this works.

        Pam
        Hi everyone!! Can anyone do a couple of lookups for me?

        The first is 1930 Census record for a Stanley Zukoski. His spouse was Victori Kmeic. His dob approx. 1872 I believe in Poland. He resided in 1930 was Lackawanna county pennsylvania but unsure of city. These are my grt. grt. grandparents and I really don't have much info from relatives who are still alive. I also need advice on how to look up when the immigrated to this country.

        Second, I was looking for military records for a Steve Zukoski for ww1.

        I have really hit a dead end for Stanley and Victori I have been trying to find the dates and places of death but come up with nothing!\

        Any help any one can offer me would be greatly appreciated!

      • Bloodhound; Kermit
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 9, 2010
          1930 Old Forge, Lackawanna, Pennsylvania
          Zukoski, Stanley, head 55 married at age 20 born Poland
          - immigration 1890; miner, coal mine
          (), Victoria, wife 54 married at age 19 born Poland
          - immigration 1900 (all children born Pennsylvania )
          (), Della/20, Francis/18, Felix/15, Stella/11, Margaret/2+10m

          1920 Old Forge Ward 2, Lackawanna, Pennsylvania
          Zoskoskie, Stanley/48:Russia/imm:1885, Victoria/42:Austria/imm:1899,
          (), Steph/25:PA/widowed, Tellie/16/dau, Della/14, Vanda/12,
          (), Francis/7, Falex/5, Stella/2, Mary/3/granddaughter

          1910 Old Forge Ward 2, Lackawanna, Pennsylvania
          Zucosky, Stankj, head 38 married.1 15 yrs born Russia imm.1890
          (), Victoria, wife 34 married.1 15 yrs born Russia imm.1894
          - 10 children 6 living
          (), Stephen/14:PA, Edward/13, Sophie/7, Tillie/5, Adella/3, Vanda/2

          I didn't find an appropriate household in 1900.
          (It could be that the lastname is seriously mangled.)

          For emigration - large numbers of emigrants came through Ellis Island
          http://www.ellisisland.org/
          and before Ellis Island was Castle Garden (NY)
          http://www.castlegarden.org/
          but many came through Boston & Philadelphia & Baltimore as well.
          There are also the Naturalization Records for Stan and Victoria -
          the problem is in locating which court has them.

          - Tom Knox

          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "dhartomine" <dhartomine@...> wrote:

          > Hi everyone!! Can anyone do a couple of lookups for me?
          >
          > The first is 1930 Census record for a Stanley Zukoski. His spouse was Victori Kmeic. His dob approx. 1872 I believe in Poland. He resided in 1930 was Lackawanna county pennsylvania but unsure of city. These are my grt. grt. grandparents and I really don't have much info from relatives who are still alive. I also need advice on how to look up when the immigrated to this country.
          >
          > Second, I was looking for military records for a Steve Zukoski for ww1.
          >
          > I have really hit a dead end for Stanley and Victori I have been trying to find the dates and places of death but come up with nothing!\
          >
          > Any help any one can offer me would be greatly appreciated!

        • barbara erickson
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 9, 2010
            Hi, I found Stanley, Age 75 living with his daughter and family, Anna M Age 32. If this is him I can email you the census. Will keep looking for the others. Barb

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 9, 2010
              I just found Starley ( Stanley ) Zaezycki. He was with Victoria in Detroit, Mich. I can send this if you want also. The image is not very clear so the spelling can be off. Barb

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 9, 2010
                Do you have any kind of b-date on Steve. The last name has all kinds of spellings so it would help to have more information. Barb

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 9, 2010
                  You will need to try varations of the last name ....

                  --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "dhartomine" <dhartomine@...> wrote:

                  > Hi everyone!! Can anyone do a couple of lookups for me?
                  >
                  > The first is 1930 Census record for a Stanley Zukoski. His spouse was Victori Kmeic. His dob approx. 1872 I believe in Poland. He resided in 1930 was Lackawanna county pennsylvania but unsure of city. These are my grt. grt. grandparents and I really don't have much info from relatives who are still alive. I also need advice on how to look up when the immigrated to this country.
                  >
                  > Second, I was looking for military records for a Steve Zukoski for ww1.
                  >
                  > I have really hit a dead end for Stanley and Victori I have been trying to find the dates and places of death but come up with nothing!\
                  >
                  > Any help any one can offer me would be greatly appreciated!

                • tomknox2001
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 10, 2010
                    in 1910 and 1920, I would expect him to be in Lackawanna County
                    in 1917/8 for the Draft Registration - -
                    and here he is - - -

                    Name: Steve Zakoski
                    Address: 167 Casper Taylor, Pa
                    County: Lackawanna, Pennsylvania
                    Birthplace: Malby, (county?), Pennsylvania
                    Birth Date: 24 Mar 1895
                    Race: Caucasian (White)
                    FHL Roll Number: 1893477
                    Occupation: Laborer, Coal Co, Old Forge
                    Married, Wife & Child
                    Registration: Old Forge, PA, June 5, 1917

                    - Tom Knox

                    --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "dhartomine" <dhartomine@...> wrote:

                    > Hi everyone!! Can anyone do a couple of lookups for me?
                    >
                    > The first is 1930 Census record for a Stanley Zukoski. His spouse was Victori Kmeic. His dob approx. 1872 I believe in Poland. He resided in 1930 was Lackawanna county pennsylvania but unsure of city. These are my grt. grt. grandparents and I really don't have much info from relatives who are still alive. I also need advice on how to look up when the immigrated to this country.
                    >
                    > Second, I was looking for military records for a Steve Zukoski for ww1.
                    >
                    > I have really hit a dead end for Stanley and Victori I have been trying to find the dates and places of death but come up with nothing!\
                    >
                    > Any help any one can offer me would be greatly appreciated!

                  • Dawne Hartman
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 10, 2010
                      I want to thank all of you that have helped me.  The biggest problem I have know is that
                      I am addicted!!! LOL  The more information I find the more I want to find!!!  Again, Thank you!!!