Re: Road Block

  • SharonG
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 9, 2010
      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Pamela Gray <trachforwiggles@...> wrote:

      > George Lenard Allen and Lucy Louise Hart were married on 25 April 1916 and George Franklin Allen was born 23 December 1916.  Both transpired in Josephine County, Oregon. George Lenard and Lucy Louise divorced shortly after his birth.  >
      > For some unknown reason George Franklin Allen changed his middle name to Francis and his birth date to 20 December 1915.  His death certificate and military records show this different information.  His birth certificate and the 1920 and 1930 census verify the correct information.
      >
      > Here is the information I am looking for:
      >
      > 1.  Why/when did George F. Allen change his middle name from Franklin to Francis and what documentations do I need to substantiate this change?
      >
      > 2.  Why/when did George F. Allen change his birth date from 23 Dec 1916 to 20 Dec 1915 and what documentations do I need to substantiate this change?
      >
      > 3.  Where should I go to find this information?

      Perhaps the name "Francis" is the middle name of his maternal grandfather? and he changed it to show respect for the male in his life before his mother remarried??? He may have changed the year and date of his birth in order to enlist in the military if he was underage at the time of enlistment! Both are my theories, as this has happened in our family also, but we now have NO ABSOLUTE PROOF of it, only family stories and conjecture.

      Happy ancestor hunnting!
    • Joy Weaver
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 10, 2010
        I'm not sure there's any way to prove the name change, but I wonder
        whether he was known as Frank and kept having people assume his middle
        name was Francis because Frank is the common nickname for Francis. He
        could have changed it to "go with the flow" and avoid having to
        constantly correct people. It would avoid problems with his bank or
        lawyer's paperwork, for example.

        Joy Weaver

      • joyce hambright
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 10, 2010
          He probably changed his birthdate to go into the service a lot of guys did that.

          To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
          From: trachforwiggles@...
          Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 15:00:42 -0800
          Subject: [Genealogy Research Club] Road Block

          George Lenard Allen and Lucy Louise Hart were married on 25 April 1916 and George Franklin Allen was born 23 December 1916. Both transpired in Josephine County, Oregon. George Lenard and Lucy Louise divorced shortly after his birth. I have a few theories of what happened, but will not go into to that now.

          Lucy Louise Hart Allen (going by Louise L Allen) and George F. Allen lived with her father, Charles F. Hart, in 1920 according to the census until she married Herbert J. Woodbury in November 1920. George F. Allen is the step son of Herbert J. Woodbury according to the 1930 census. In the 1920 census George F. Allen was 3 years and 1 month old. In the 1930 census he was 13. This coinsides with the birth date of December 1916.

          For some unknown reason George Franklin Allen changed his middle name to Francis and his birth date to 20 December 1915. His death certificate and military records show this different information. His birth certificate and the 1920 and 1930 census verify the correct information.

          Here is the information I am looking for:

          1. Why/when did George F. Allen change his middle name from Franklin to Francis and what documentations do I need to substantiate this change?

          2. Why/when did George F. Allen change his birth date from 23 Dec 1916 to 20 Dec 1915 and what documentations do I need to substantiate this change?

          3. Where should I go to find this information?

          Any assistance would be appreciated.

          Pamela Gray