Intorduction and Software question

  • Jim Forshey
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 7, 2010
      Hi

      I am new to researching my Genealogy. The first thing I need to do is find
      out what the best software is to store and graph out the information found.
      I have brought some Genealogy related magazines hoping I might find some
      software for sale in it, but did not.

      I would like to start researching back from daughter. I have a lot of
      linkage to the UK, so I have been able to find some linkage to some of my
      relatives. My wife is from Hong Kong, so I have not had much luck with hers.

      Thank you for your time help and suggestions.

      Jim Forshey

      Placerville, California

      ´¯'·.¸¸..><((((º>.·´¯'·.¸¸.·´¯'·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯'·.¸. ,.

      ´¯'·.¸¸..><((((º>.·´¯'·.¸¸.·´¯'·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯'·.¸. ,.

    • Pamela Gray
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 7, 2010
        Hello,

        My Name is Pamela Gray.  I am new to the group.  I have been researching and documenting my ancestry for about 4 years now.  I have found many connections and many hidden documents.  I get excited when I find new information.

        I use two different genealogy programs.  One is Family Tree builder by myheritage.com.  This one is free.  I also use (just recently) Family Tree Maker by ancestry.com.  This one cost me $29.99.  I like them both, but most of my stuff is stored in ancestry.com for now.  I am waiting for a little more information before I download it.

        Anyway, I love looking and researching and the most fun is verifying connections.  Part of my family I have been able to trace back to England in the 1500's and the Mayflower.  Another part I have only been able to trace to 1913 when my maternal great grandparents arrived from Galicia, Austria (current day Poland).

        I have several problems with people changing between middle and first names and one individual (my paternal grandfather) who changed is birthdate.  It is frustating to say the least.  I will post some specific questions about this later and hopefully someone will have an idea on what to do about that.

        I am also in the process of applying for the Daughter's of the American Revolution.  I have several ancestors that fought in the war.

        I look forward to brainstorming with everyone and help where I can.

        Pam Gray

      • Mary Wirth
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 7, 2010
          Here is the link for familysearch that is from the Mormons.
          You can enter family information and other stuff in this program.
          This is the best I have found so far.Easy to use and easy to navigate,
          Best part: It's fee

          http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp

          Free PAF Family History Software

          Personal Ancestral File (PAF) is a free genealogy and family

          Mary

        • Lisa Hill
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 8, 2010
            Hi Pam!

            Sounds like we have a lot in common. I also have Mayflower members, Austrian ancestors and Revolutionary soldiers. I've run into a similar problem with the 'Americanization' of names. For instance, one family surname changed from Blasser, to Blaser, to Blazer. It can send you on some big-time goose chases! :) It's nice to meet you!

            Lisa in Richmond, TX

            To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 8, 2010
              Hi Jim, one thing to do is to talk to the oldest living family member and take Lots of notes. I never throw any of them away because you never know when they all fit together like a puzzle. Did you ever live in the L.A. area? Seems I remember your name for some reason. Happy digging, Barb

              ________________________________

            • paulmetzger33@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 8, 2010
                There's a comparative review at;
                http://genealogy-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

                Something that is not immediately obvious from that comparison chart is
                that there are free versions of Legacy and Roots Magic, plus a free
                edition of Family Tree Maker 5.0. The Roots
                Magic one is called "Essentials" and the Legacy free one is called
                "Standard Edition." They can both be obtained from the corresponding link for
                those 2 programs. The FTM 5.0 one is called "Starter Edition". I can't find
                the link right now. If nothing else, I could email you the file.

                Here's a guide to what to consider when choosing a genealogy program, a list of the more popular ones, with some user reviews: http://genealogy.about.com/od/911/u/software_guide.htm

                Here's some other, older reviews (before the latest versions and/or the free ones):
                http://www.gensoftreviews.com/index.php?s=&sel=1&new=&lic=all&pla=win&type=all&sort=mrev
                http://genealogy.about.com/od/software_windows/Genealogy_Software_Windows.htm
                http://genealogy.about.com/cs/genealogysoftware/a/software_2.htm
                http://www.consumersearch.com/genealogy-software
                http://blog.taragana.com/index.php/archive/top-10-genealogy-software/

                Paul

                I am new to researching my Genealogy. The first thing I need to do is find
                out what the best software is to store and graph out the information found.
                I have brought some Genealogy related magazines hoping I might find some
                software for sale in it, but did not.

                I would
                like to start researching back from daughter. I have a lot of
                linkage to the UK, so I have been able to find some linkage to some of my
                relatives. My wife is from Hong Kong, so I have not had much luck with hers.

                Thank you for your time help and suggestions.

                Jim Forshey

                Placerville, California

                ´¯'·.¸¸..><((((º>.·´¯'·.¸¸.·´¯'·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯'·.¸. ,.

                ´¯'·.¸¸..><((((º>.·´¯'·.¸¸.·´¯'·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯'·.¸. ,.

                ------------------------------------

                Yahoo! Groups
                Links

              • Pamela Gray
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 8, 2010
                  George Lenard Allen and Lucy Louise Hart were married on 25 April 1916 and George Franklin Allen was born 23 December 1916.  Both transpired in Josephine County, Oregon. George Lenard and Lucy Louise divorced shortly after his birth.  I have a few theories of what happened, but will not go into to that now.

                  Lucy Louise Hart Allen (going by Louise L Allen) and George F. Allen lived with her father, Charles F. Hart, in 1920 according to the census until she married Herbert J. Woodbury in November 1920.  George F. Allen is the step son of Herbert J. Woodbury according to the 1930 census.  In the 1920 census George F. Allen was 3 years and 1 month old.  In the 1930 census he was 13.  This coinsides with the birth date of December 1916.

                  For some unknown reason George Franklin Allen changed his middle name to Francis and his birth date to 20 December 1915.  His death certificate and military records show this different information.  His birth certificate and the 1920 and 1930 census verify the correct information.

                  Here is the information I am looking for:

                  1.  Why/when did George F. Allen change his middle name from Franklin to Francis and what documentations do I need to substantiate this change?

                  2.  Why/when did George F. Allen change his birth date from 23 Dec 1916 to 20 Dec 1915 and what documentations do I need to substantiate this change?

                  3.  Where should I go to find this information?

                  Any assistance would be appreciated.

                  Pamela Gray

                • Joy Weaver
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 9, 2010
                    I, too, have similar ancestry to research. My husband has Mayflower
                    passengers Edward Fuller and his wife, as well has every kind of
                    Revolutionary War category: Patriots, Loyalists, Quaker objectors.
                    Meanwhile, I am the child of first-generation Eastern European Jews who
                    went back and forth from New York to Montreal and Toronto.

                    It's really a fascinating jumble of history, with each part having its
                    own challenges.

                    As to software, I've been using Family Tree Maker for about as long as
                    I've used a computer, currently updated to FTM 2009. It isn't always
                    the easiest program to navigate, but keeping the 4000+ member tree
                    private and only posting those sections I'm comfortable sharing to
                    online sites has it's advantages.

                    Joy Weaver

                  • Charles
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 9, 2010
                      Hello Jim,

                      If you want to post your data online, you might look at www.tribalpages.com. I used this site until I set up my current surname websites.

                      Charlie Vines
                      charlies.genealogy@...
                      County Host for Dallas County, Texas Genealogy Trails (http://genealogytrails.com/tex/prairieslakes/dallas/)
                      County Host for Hunt County, Texas Genealogy Trails (http://genealogytrails.com/tex/prairieslakes/hunt/)
                      The Lloyd Family Research Center (http://lloydfrc.ancestryhost.org)
                      The Shoemaker Family Research Center (http://shoemakerfrc.ancestryhost.org)
                      The Vaden Family Research Center (http://vadenfrc.ancestryhost.org)
                      The Vines Family Research Center (http://vinesfrc.ancestryhost.org)

                      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Forshey" <jim@...> wrote:

                      > Hi
                      >

                      > I am new to researching my Genealogy. The first thing I need to do is find
                      > out what the best software is to store and graph out the information found.
                      > I have brought some Genealogy related magazines hoping I might find some
                      > software for sale in it, but did not.
                      >
                      > I would like to start researching back from daughter. I have a lot of
                      > linkage to the UK, so I have been able to find some linkage to some of my
                      > relatives. My wife is from Hong Kong, so I have not had much luck with hers.
                      >

                      > Thank you for your time help and suggestions.
                      >

                      > Jim Forshey
                      >
                      > Placerville, California
                      >
                      > ´¯'·.¸¸..><((((º>.·´¯'·.¸¸.·´¯'·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯'·.¸. ,.
                      >
                      > ´¯'·.¸¸..><((((º>.·´¯'·.¸¸.·´¯'·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯'·.¸. ,.

                    • SharonG
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 9, 2010
                        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Pamela Gray <trachforwiggles@...> wrote:

                        > George Lenard Allen and Lucy Louise Hart were married on 25 April 1916 and George Franklin Allen was born 23 December 1916.  Both transpired in Josephine County, Oregon. George Lenard and Lucy Louise divorced shortly after his birth.  >
                        > For some unknown reason George Franklin Allen changed his middle name to Francis and his birth date to 20 December 1915.  His death certificate and military records show this different information.  His birth certificate and the 1920 and 1930 census verify the correct information.
                        >
                        > Here is the information I am looking for:
                        >
                        > 1.  Why/when did George F. Allen change his middle name from Franklin to Francis and what documentations do I need to substantiate this change?
                        >
                        > 2.  Why/when did George F. Allen change his birth date from 23 Dec 1916 to 20 Dec 1915 and what documentations do I need to substantiate this change?
                        >
                        > 3.  Where should I go to find this information?

                        Perhaps the name "Francis" is the middle name of his maternal grandfather? and he changed it to show respect for the male in his life before his mother remarried??? He may have changed the year and date of his birth in order to enlist in the military if he was underage at the time of enlistment! Both are my theories, as this has happened in our family also, but we now have NO ABSOLUTE PROOF of it, only family stories and conjecture.

                        Happy ancestor hunnting!
                      • Joy Weaver
                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 10, 2010
                          I'm not sure there's any way to prove the name change, but I wonder
                          whether he was known as Frank and kept having people assume his middle
                          name was Francis because Frank is the common nickname for Francis. He
                          could have changed it to "go with the flow" and avoid having to
                          constantly correct people. It would avoid problems with his bank or
                          lawyer's paperwork, for example.

                          Joy Weaver

                        • joyce hambright
                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 10, 2010
                            He probably changed his birthdate to go into the service a lot of guys did that.

                            To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com