Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Marriage Records for William Leon Caston and Audrey Garnet Kepler

  • Melva Maguire
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 8, 2010
      Have you looked in old newspaper archives - I found some birth records of my relations in Denmark in that way, after searching and searching through church and census records to no avail. Worth a try if you haven't already done so.

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 8, 2010
        Lora -

        Gee, they certainly moved around!!

        1930 Jerome, Yavapai, Arizona
        Caston, William L/44:MS:MS:MS, Audrey S/38:OH:OH:OH, married 12 yrs
        (), William A/10:CO, Warren G/8:CO, Betty R/5:NM

        1920 Trinidad, Las Animas, Colorado
        Address: 100 N. Third(?) St
        Caston, William L/34:MS/barber, Audrey/27:OH, William J/4m:CO

        Name: William Leon Caston
        Address: 308 W. 4th St, Wo*d***?, Las Animas, Colorado
        Birth Date: 15 May 1885
        Race: White
        FHL Roll Number: 1561835
        Registered: 12 Sept 1918
        Occupation: Barber
        Nearest Relative: wife Lillian Caston
        NOTE: Card gives an address for "wife Lillian" that looks like
        "Fm N. Memol. Bor****? Vicksburg(?) Warren Miss"

        How interesting!!
        First - I find it unlikely that there were TWO "William Leon Caston" that were barbers in Las Animas, Colorado - therefore, the Draft Card and the 1920 census are most-likely the same guy.
        Second - a question: is "wife Lillian" the same as wife Audrey?
        or is that a different wife?
        Third - hypotheses: if Lillian is Audrey, then they were married before 12 Sept 1918; if Lillian is a different wife, then William married Audrey *after* 12 Sept 1918, possibly in Las Animas, Colorado.

        Q: Do you have death info or obits on either one of them?

        1900 Beat 3, Amite, Mississippi
        Van Norman, Sam T/62, Curtis P/18, Annie/16, Myrtle/13
        Caston, Willie/10:MS:MS:MS/grandson/b:May1885, Sam C/13, Amanda/11

        - Tom Knox

        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Lora Hall <lorah@...> wrote:

        > I have been searching and searching and cannot find any marriage records for
        > William Leon Caston and Audrey Garnet Kepler. These are my paternal
        > grandparents. William was born in 1885 in Mississippi and Audrey in 1892 in
        > Ohio. I don't have any idea where they might have been married. Any help
        > would be most appreciated.
        > --
        > Lora
        > Helping Humanity
        > http://fortheloveofhumanity.webs.com
        > Zibbet! Zibbet!
        > http://www.zibbet.com/SimmonsCreek
        > Simmons Creek Trading Post
        > http://simmonscreek.artfire.com

      • Lora Hall
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 9, 2010
          Hi Melva,
          No we haven't tried that yet. It's on our list of things to do! Thanks so
          much!

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 9, 2010
            Hi Tom!
            LOL, yeah they moved around quite a bit! I have death info on both William
            and Audrey. William died Dec. 29, 1961 in Tarrant Co. TX. Audrey died Nov.
            22, 1981 in Tarrant Co. TX. Lillian is a first wife, we believe. We have
            no other information on her except what is on the Draft card. I notice in
            the 1930 census it says they were married 12 years. Must have missed
            that! My sister and I have been having alot of fun with this. We were
            told some major 'untruths' about our dads side of the family. Until now, we
            knew absolutely nothing about his side. Thanks for responding! I'm really
            enjoying this group and getting a 'peek' at everyones searching! The only
            site I am a paid member of right now is Ancestry. Are there any other
            'free' sites to search on?

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 9, 2010
              > ... I notice in
              > the 1930 census it says they were married 12 years.
              > Must have missed that!

              No, you didn't miss the "married 12 years" part.
              I made a conclusion from what the census said,
              one that I probably shouldn't have (now that I think about it).

              > 1930 Jerome, Yavapai, Arizona
              > Caston, William L/44:MS:MS:MS, Audrey S/38:OH:OH:OH, married 12 yrs
              > (), William A/10:CO, Warren G/8:CO, Betty R/5:NM

              The 1930 census actually specifies:
              Caston, William L, head 44 married at age 32
              (), Audrey S, wife 38 married at age 26

              Since both head and wife were married at an age 12 years previous,
              I made the conclusion that they were married for 12 years -
              logical, and takes up less space in my "shorthand transcripts",
              but not actually what the census said.

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 9, 2010
                LOL, no problem Tom! I've come to multiple conclusions that were just
                wrong. LOL Thanks for the help though!

                http://eclecticnana.blogspot.com