Re: WRAGG: I wish I could get hooked.. but I haven't got far..

  • SharonG
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 7, 2010
      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "P R Garwood" <blighty_fellow@...> wrote:

      > I think I would
      > prefer a standalone program so I can print out what I have found, do you
      > know of one that I could download?
      > Regards
      > Paul..
      > UK

      Have you tried the free version of rootsmagic?it can be found at http://www.rootsmagic.com They also have a more extensive prograsm for purchase.

      I personally have purchased a couple of different software programs. You just need to find the one that suits your needs.

      Good luck & good hunting,
      Sharon
    • Mark Rabideau
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 7, 2010
        I think every genealogy program I have used allows printing.

        Also it is worth noting that all of them also may be run as standalone
        (even the web-based ones) if you are so inclined.

        Pax Vobiscum,
        ...mark (Mark Rabideau)

        Visit us at: http://many-roads.com

        > prefer a standalone program so I can print out what I have found, do
        you
        > know of one that I could download?
        > Regards
        > Paul..
        > UK

        Have you tried the free version of rootsmagic?it can be found at
        http://www.rootsmagic.com They also have a more extensive prograsm for
        purchase.

        I personally have purchased a couple of different software programs. You
        just need to find the one that suits your needs.

        Good luck & good hunting,
        Sharon

      • Dawn Bennink
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 7, 2010
          Jumping in the conversation here - I have used ancestry.com for a little
          over a year now. I actually like the family tree builder as I've been able
          to attach records and build on the hints, carefully of course. I got Family
          Tree Maker 2010 as they work together well, and am RELATIVELY pleased with
          it. It is an improvement over the previous version as it downloads photos
          and such along with the tree from ancestry.com.

          I've tried lots of other standalone programs but haven't been comfortable
          with the interfaces. Honestly, I wish FTM was more like the ancestry.com
          interface. With nearly 8000 people in my tree, I've become quite
          comfortable working with it.

          Just my two cents.

          Dawn
          totally hooked
        • Dawn Bennink
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 7, 2010
            BTW - regarding printing: if you are already using ancestry.com, you can
            use their "Publish" tab at the top of the screen and create printable
            documents, not just products they print for you. I made a beautiful history
            book for my mother with census pages, ship manifests, photos, and a family
            tree, all printed from there.

            Dawn