Re: WRAGG: I wish I could get hooked.. but I haven't got far..

  • Bloodhound; Kermit
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 4, 2010
      1891 St Mary Stoke, Suffolk, England
      Wragg, Frederick/56, Martha/47, Francis I?/26, Edwin V/23,
      (), Bertram/21, Gertrude/18, Walter I/16, Albert E/14, Alfred E/12,
      (), Percy P/8, Eveline/6, Cecil R/3
      NOTE: Frederick born "Sheffield, Yorkshire"; Martha born ditto

      1881 Ipswich St Mary Stoke, Suffolk, England
      Wragg, Frederick/46, Martha/37, Francis Joseph/16, Edwin Vernon/13,
      (), Bertram Victor/11, Gertrude/8, Walter Irvin/6,
      (), Albert Earnest/4, Alfred Erskine/2, Dora/??
      NOTE: Frederick born "Sheffield, Yorkshire"; Martha born ditto

      1871 Ipswich St Mary Stoke, Suffolk, England
      Wragg, Frederick/36, Martha/27, Francis J/6,
      (), Frederick C/4, Edwin V/3, Bertram V/1
      NOTE: Frederick born "Sheffield, Yorkshire"; Martha born ditto

      A possibility:
      1851 Sheffield, Yorkshire, England
      Wragg, Ann/54, Samuel/24, Mary Ann/21, Frederick/15
      NOTE: Frederick born "Sheffield, Yorkshire"

      Two possibilities -
      1841 Sheffield, Yorkshire, England
      Wragg, Joseph/35, Ann/40, Samuel/13, Mary/11, Frederick/5, Sampson/15
      and an alternative -
      1841 Sheffield, Yorkshire, England
      Wragg, Sephmus/30, Harriot/30, Harriot/9, Fredrick/7

      Ancestry.com has multiple Public Member Trees that have
      Frederick Wragg
      Birth: Abt 1835-1836 Sheffield, Yorkshire
      Spouse: Martha Crookes (or Crooks)
      Most of those Trees list Joseph and Ann Wragg as the parents of Frederick.

      - Tom Knox

      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "P. R." <blighty_fellow@...> wrote:

      > I seem to have fallen at the first hurdle with my searches.
      > I found my granddad, Percy Wragg who was born in Ipswich UK in 1883,
      > and found his parents, Frederick Wragg,a Poultry Breeder born 1835, & his wife, Martha Wragg born 1844.
      > Apart from finding my granddads brothers & sisters, I have been unable to go back any further or find out any other information.
      > I have been doing my searches at: Findmypast.co.uk. Do you know if there are any other sites that might be able to help?
      > many thanks
      > Paul..
      > UK

    • P R Garwood
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 6, 2010
        Dear Tom, thank you so much for all this information, this will give me
        something to work on. I'm still not sure which site to go on? I have signed
        up to Ancestry.com but not convinced this is the best. I don't like their
        family tree builder as you cannot do very much with it, I think I would
        prefer a standalone program so I can print out what I have found, do you
        know of one that I could download?
        Regards
        Paul..
        UK

        wrote:

        > I seem to have fallen at the first hurdle with my searches.
        > I found my granddad, Percy Wragg who was born in Ipswich UK in 1883,
        > and found his parents, Frederick Wragg,a Poultry Breeder born 1835, & his
        wife, Martha Wragg born 1844.
        > Apart from finding my granddads brothers & sisters, I have been unable to
        > I have been doing my searches at: Findmypast.co.uk. Do you know if there
        are any other sites that might be able to help?
        > many thanks
        > Paul..
        > UK

      • Robert Bonney
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 7, 2010
          I have found the Roots Magic program to be friendly and very easy to work with. The total cost is about $30.00 and they have a good search feature.
          Hope this helps
          Bob Bonney

          ________________________________

          wrote:

          > I seem to have fallen at the first hurdle with my searches.
          > I found my granddad, Percy Wragg who was born in Ipswich UK in 1883,
          > and found his parents, Frederick Wragg,a Poultry Breeder born 1835, & his
          wife, Martha Wragg born 1844.
          > Apart from finding my granddads brothers & sisters, I have been unable to
          > I have been doing my searches at: Findmypast.co. uk. Do you know if there
          are any other sites that might be able to help?
          > many thanks
          > Paul..
          > UK

        • SharonG
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 7, 2010
            --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "P R Garwood" <blighty_fellow@...> wrote:

            > I think I would
            > prefer a standalone program so I can print out what I have found, do you
            > know of one that I could download?
            > Regards
            > Paul..
            > UK

            Have you tried the free version of rootsmagic?it can be found at http://www.rootsmagic.com They also have a more extensive prograsm for purchase.

            I personally have purchased a couple of different software programs. You just need to find the one that suits your needs.

            Good luck & good hunting,
            Sharon
          • Mark Rabideau
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 7, 2010
              I think every genealogy program I have used allows printing.

              Also it is worth noting that all of them also may be run as standalone
              (even the web-based ones) if you are so inclined.

              Pax Vobiscum,
              ...mark (Mark Rabideau)

              Visit us at: http://many-roads.com

              > prefer a standalone program so I can print out what I have found, do
              you
              > know of one that I could download?
              > Regards
              > Paul..
              > UK

              Have you tried the free version of rootsmagic?it can be found at
              http://www.rootsmagic.com They also have a more extensive prograsm for
              purchase.

              I personally have purchased a couple of different software programs. You
              just need to find the one that suits your needs.

              Good luck & good hunting,
              Sharon

            • Dawn Bennink
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 7, 2010
                Jumping in the conversation here - I have used ancestry.com for a little
                over a year now. I actually like the family tree builder as I've been able
                to attach records and build on the hints, carefully of course. I got Family
                Tree Maker 2010 as they work together well, and am RELATIVELY pleased with
                it. It is an improvement over the previous version as it downloads photos
                and such along with the tree from ancestry.com.

                I've tried lots of other standalone programs but haven't been comfortable
                with the interfaces. Honestly, I wish FTM was more like the ancestry.com
                interface. With nearly 8000 people in my tree, I've become quite
                comfortable working with it.

                Just my two cents.

                Dawn
                totally hooked
              • Dawn Bennink
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 7, 2010
                  BTW - regarding printing: if you are already using ancestry.com, you can
                  use their "Publish" tab at the top of the screen and create printable
                  documents, not just products they print for you. I made a beautiful history
                  book for my mother with census pages, ship manifests, photos, and a family
                  tree, all printed from there.

                  Dawn