Re: I wish I could get hooked.. but I haven't got far..

  • Judy Ardine
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 3, 2010
      First off, you can NOT rely on information you find on the internet. Use
      the information you find as CLUES, but you need to document and verify that
      information, those CLUES, for yourself. The best way to do that is w/actual
      birth certificates, marriage certificates and death certificates. Church
      records, tax records, land records, wills, estate papers are other good
      sources. Census records can be a big help.

      http://www.familysearch.com is a good starting source. Make use of the
      nearest LDS family history center. Many wills, estates, deeds, etc. are
      available via microfilm rental thru the FHCs.

      http://www.rootsweb.com is another good source to connect w/others
      researching your line. They have mailing lists and forums for countries,
      states, counties, surnames, etc.

      You also need to allow for variable spellings. The further back in our
      ancestry we go the less reliable the surname spellings become.
    • Robert Bonney
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 3, 2010
        I would buy the least expensive one and you can always update later. The Church of Laterday Saints is a good place and it is free some times the information isn't as correct as one would like but it gives you a starting point..

        Regards
        Bob Bonney

        ________________________________
        From: Robert Bonney
        Date: 01/02/10 23:18:28
        To: genealogyresearchcl ub@yahoogroups. com
        Subject: Re: [Genealogy Research Club] I wish I could get hooked.. But I
        haven't got far..

        I see lots of Wragg people on Ancestry.com you might try here.

        Name:Fredrick Wragg
        Arrival Date:24 May 1913
        Age:22
        Birth Date:ABT 1891
        Birth Country:England
        Gender:Male
        Race/Nationality: English

        Port of Arrival:Port Huron, Michigan, USA

        ____________ _________ _________ __
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 4, 2010
          1891 St Mary Stoke, Suffolk, England
          Wragg, Frederick/56, Martha/47, Francis I?/26, Edwin V/23,
          (), Bertram/21, Gertrude/18, Walter I/16, Albert E/14, Alfred E/12,
          (), Percy P/8, Eveline/6, Cecil R/3
          NOTE: Frederick born "Sheffield, Yorkshire"; Martha born ditto

          1881 Ipswich St Mary Stoke, Suffolk, England
          Wragg, Frederick/46, Martha/37, Francis Joseph/16, Edwin Vernon/13,
          (), Bertram Victor/11, Gertrude/8, Walter Irvin/6,
          (), Albert Earnest/4, Alfred Erskine/2, Dora/??
          NOTE: Frederick born "Sheffield, Yorkshire"; Martha born ditto

          1871 Ipswich St Mary Stoke, Suffolk, England
          Wragg, Frederick/36, Martha/27, Francis J/6,
          (), Frederick C/4, Edwin V/3, Bertram V/1
          NOTE: Frederick born "Sheffield, Yorkshire"; Martha born ditto

          A possibility:
          1851 Sheffield, Yorkshire, England
          Wragg, Ann/54, Samuel/24, Mary Ann/21, Frederick/15
          NOTE: Frederick born "Sheffield, Yorkshire"

          Two possibilities -
          1841 Sheffield, Yorkshire, England
          Wragg, Joseph/35, Ann/40, Samuel/13, Mary/11, Frederick/5, Sampson/15
          and an alternative -
          1841 Sheffield, Yorkshire, England
          Wragg, Sephmus/30, Harriot/30, Harriot/9, Fredrick/7

          Ancestry.com has multiple Public Member Trees that have
          Frederick Wragg
          Birth: Abt 1835-1836 Sheffield, Yorkshire
          Spouse: Martha Crookes (or Crooks)
          Most of those Trees list Joseph and Ann Wragg as the parents of Frederick.

          - Tom Knox

          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "P. R." <blighty_fellow@...> wrote:

          > I seem to have fallen at the first hurdle with my searches.
          > I found my granddad, Percy Wragg who was born in Ipswich UK in 1883,
          > and found his parents, Frederick Wragg,a Poultry Breeder born 1835, & his wife, Martha Wragg born 1844.
          > Apart from finding my granddads brothers & sisters, I have been unable to go back any further or find out any other information.
          > I have been doing my searches at: Findmypast.co.uk. Do you know if there are any other sites that might be able to help?
          > many thanks
          > Paul..
          > UK

        • P R Garwood
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 6, 2010
            Dear Tom, thank you so much for all this information, this will give me
            something to work on. I'm still not sure which site to go on? I have signed
            up to Ancestry.com but not convinced this is the best. I don't like their
            family tree builder as you cannot do very much with it, I think I would
            prefer a standalone program so I can print out what I have found, do you
            know of one that I could download?
            Regards
            Paul..
            UK

            wrote:

            > I seem to have fallen at the first hurdle with my searches.
            > I found my granddad, Percy Wragg who was born in Ipswich UK in 1883,
            > and found his parents, Frederick Wragg,a Poultry Breeder born 1835, & his
            wife, Martha Wragg born 1844.
            > Apart from finding my granddads brothers & sisters, I have been unable to
            > I have been doing my searches at: Findmypast.co.uk. Do you know if there
            are any other sites that might be able to help?
            > many thanks
            > Paul..
            > UK

          • Robert Bonney
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 7, 2010
              I have found the Roots Magic program to be friendly and very easy to work with. The total cost is about $30.00 and they have a good search feature.
              Hope this helps
              Bob Bonney

              ________________________________

              wrote:

              > I seem to have fallen at the first hurdle with my searches.
              > I found my granddad, Percy Wragg who was born in Ipswich UK in 1883,
              > and found his parents, Frederick Wragg,a Poultry Breeder born 1835, & his
              wife, Martha Wragg born 1844.
              > Apart from finding my granddads brothers & sisters, I have been unable to
              > I have been doing my searches at: Findmypast.co. uk. Do you know if there
              are any other sites that might be able to help?
              > many thanks
              > Paul..
              > UK

            • SharonG
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 7, 2010
                --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "P R Garwood" <blighty_fellow@...> wrote:

                > I think I would
                > prefer a standalone program so I can print out what I have found, do you
                > know of one that I could download?
                > Regards
                > Paul..
                > UK

                Have you tried the free version of rootsmagic?it can be found at http://www.rootsmagic.com They also have a more extensive prograsm for purchase.

                I personally have purchased a couple of different software programs. You just need to find the one that suits your needs.

                Good luck & good hunting,
                Sharon
              • Mark Rabideau
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 7, 2010
                  I think every genealogy program I have used allows printing.

                  Also it is worth noting that all of them also may be run as standalone
                  (even the web-based ones) if you are so inclined.

                  Pax Vobiscum,
                  ...mark (Mark Rabideau)

                  Visit us at: http://many-roads.com

                  > prefer a standalone program so I can print out what I have found, do
                  you
                  > know of one that I could download?
                  > Regards
                  > Paul..
                  > UK

                  Have you tried the free version of rootsmagic?it can be found at
                  http://www.rootsmagic.com They also have a more extensive prograsm for
                  purchase.

                  I personally have purchased a couple of different software programs. You
                  just need to find the one that suits your needs.

                  Good luck & good hunting,
                  Sharon

                • Dawn Bennink
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 7, 2010
                    Jumping in the conversation here - I have used ancestry.com for a little
                    over a year now. I actually like the family tree builder as I've been able
                    to attach records and build on the hints, carefully of course. I got Family
                    Tree Maker 2010 as they work together well, and am RELATIVELY pleased with
                    it. It is an improvement over the previous version as it downloads photos
                    and such along with the tree from ancestry.com.

                    I've tried lots of other standalone programs but haven't been comfortable
                    with the interfaces. Honestly, I wish FTM was more like the ancestry.com
                    interface. With nearly 8000 people in my tree, I've become quite
                    comfortable working with it.

                    Just my two cents.

                    Dawn
                    totally hooked
                  • Dawn Bennink
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 7, 2010
                      BTW - regarding printing: if you are already using ancestry.com, you can
                      use their "Publish" tab at the top of the screen and create printable
                      documents, not just products they print for you. I made a beautiful history
                      book for my mother with census pages, ship manifests, photos, and a family
                      tree, all printed from there.

                      Dawn