Re: [Genealogy Research Club] I wish I could get hooked.. but I haven't got far..

  • Robert Bonney
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 2, 2010
      I see lots of Wragg people on Ancestry.com you might try here.

      Name:Fredrick Wragg
      Arrival Date:24 May 1913
      Age:22
      Birth Date:abt 1891
      Birth Country:England
      Gender:Male
      Race/Nationality:English

      Port of Arrival:Port Huron, Michigan, USA

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 2, 2010
        http://awtc.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=:2843291&id=I568141660&ti=5538

        Not sure if these people might be related to your family.

        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 3, 2010
          Many thanks Robert, What do you think would be the most reasonable package
          to buy to search on Ancestry.com? I only want to search for my family.
          Paul..

          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 3, 2010
            First off, you can NOT rely on information you find on the internet. Use
            the information you find as CLUES, but you need to document and verify that
            information, those CLUES, for yourself. The best way to do that is w/actual
            birth certificates, marriage certificates and death certificates. Church
            records, tax records, land records, wills, estate papers are other good
            sources. Census records can be a big help.

            http://www.familysearch.com is a good starting source. Make use of the
            nearest LDS family history center. Many wills, estates, deeds, etc. are
            available via microfilm rental thru the FHCs.

            http://www.rootsweb.com is another good source to connect w/others
            researching your line. They have mailing lists and forums for countries,
            states, counties, surnames, etc.

            You also need to allow for variable spellings. The further back in our
            ancestry we go the less reliable the surname spellings become.
          • Robert Bonney
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 3, 2010
              I would buy the least expensive one and you can always update later. The Church of Laterday Saints is a good place and it is free some times the information isn't as correct as one would like but it gives you a starting point..

              Regards
              Bob Bonney

              ________________________________

              ____________ _________ _________ __
              I seem to have fallen at the first hurdle with my searches.
              I found my granddad, Percy Wragg who was born in Ipswich UK in 1883,
              And found his parents, Frederick Wragg,a Poultry Breeder born 1835, & his
              wife, Martha Wragg born 1844.
              Apart from finding my granddads brothers & sisters, I have been unable to go
              back any further or find out any other information.
              I have been doing my searches at: Findmypast.co. UK. Do you know if there
              are any other sites that might be able to help?
              Many thanks
              Paul..
              UK

            • Bloodhound; Kermit
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 4, 2010
                1891 St Mary Stoke, Suffolk, England
                Wragg, Frederick/56, Martha/47, Francis I?/26, Edwin V/23,
                (), Bertram/21, Gertrude/18, Walter I/16, Albert E/14, Alfred E/12,
                (), Percy P/8, Eveline/6, Cecil R/3
                NOTE: Frederick born "Sheffield, Yorkshire"; Martha born ditto

                1881 Ipswich St Mary Stoke, Suffolk, England
                Wragg, Frederick/46, Martha/37, Francis Joseph/16, Edwin Vernon/13,
                (), Bertram Victor/11, Gertrude/8, Walter Irvin/6,
                (), Albert Earnest/4, Alfred Erskine/2, Dora/??
                NOTE: Frederick born "Sheffield, Yorkshire"; Martha born ditto

                1871 Ipswich St Mary Stoke, Suffolk, England
                Wragg, Frederick/36, Martha/27, Francis J/6,
                (), Frederick C/4, Edwin V/3, Bertram V/1
                NOTE: Frederick born "Sheffield, Yorkshire"; Martha born ditto

                A possibility:
                1851 Sheffield, Yorkshire, England
                Wragg, Ann/54, Samuel/24, Mary Ann/21, Frederick/15
                NOTE: Frederick born "Sheffield, Yorkshire"

                Two possibilities -
                1841 Sheffield, Yorkshire, England
                Wragg, Joseph/35, Ann/40, Samuel/13, Mary/11, Frederick/5, Sampson/15
                and an alternative -
                1841 Sheffield, Yorkshire, England
                Wragg, Sephmus/30, Harriot/30, Harriot/9, Fredrick/7

                Ancestry.com has multiple Public Member Trees that have
                Frederick Wragg
                Birth: Abt 1835-1836 Sheffield, Yorkshire
                Spouse: Martha Crookes (or Crooks)
                Most of those Trees list Joseph and Ann Wragg as the parents of Frederick.

                - Tom Knox

                --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "P. R." <blighty_fellow@...> wrote:

                > I seem to have fallen at the first hurdle with my searches.
                > I found my granddad, Percy Wragg who was born in Ipswich UK in 1883,
                > and found his parents, Frederick Wragg,a Poultry Breeder born 1835, & his wife, Martha Wragg born 1844.
                > Apart from finding my granddads brothers & sisters, I have been unable to go back any further or find out any other information.
                > I have been doing my searches at: Findmypast.co.uk. Do you know if there are any other sites that might be able to help?
                > many thanks
                > Paul..
                > UK

              • P R Garwood
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 6, 2010
                  Dear Tom, thank you so much for all this information, this will give me
                  something to work on. I'm still not sure which site to go on? I have signed
                  up to Ancestry.com but not convinced this is the best. I don't like their
                  family tree builder as you cannot do very much with it, I think I would
                  prefer a standalone program so I can print out what I have found, do you
                  know of one that I could download?
                  Regards
                  Paul..
                  UK

                  wrote:

                  > I seem to have fallen at the first hurdle with my searches.
                  > I found my granddad, Percy Wragg who was born in Ipswich UK in 1883,
                  > and found his parents, Frederick Wragg,a Poultry Breeder born 1835, & his
                  wife, Martha Wragg born 1844.
                  > Apart from finding my granddads brothers & sisters, I have been unable to
                  > I have been doing my searches at: Findmypast.co.uk. Do you know if there
                  are any other sites that might be able to help?
                  > many thanks
                  > Paul..
                  > UK

                • Robert Bonney
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 7, 2010
                    I have found the Roots Magic program to be friendly and very easy to work with. The total cost is about $30.00 and they have a good search feature.
                    Hope this helps
                    Bob Bonney

                    ________________________________

                    wrote:

                    > I seem to have fallen at the first hurdle with my searches.
                    > I found my granddad, Percy Wragg who was born in Ipswich UK in 1883,
                    > and found his parents, Frederick Wragg,a Poultry Breeder born 1835, & his
                    wife, Martha Wragg born 1844.
                    > Apart from finding my granddads brothers & sisters, I have been unable to
                    > I have been doing my searches at: Findmypast.co. uk. Do you know if there
                    are any other sites that might be able to help?
                    > many thanks
                    > Paul..
                    > UK

                  • SharonG
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 7, 2010
                      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "P R Garwood" <blighty_fellow@...> wrote:

                      > I think I would
                      > prefer a standalone program so I can print out what I have found, do you
                      > know of one that I could download?
                      > Regards
                      > Paul..
                      > UK

                      Have you tried the free version of rootsmagic?it can be found at http://www.rootsmagic.com They also have a more extensive prograsm for purchase.

                      I personally have purchased a couple of different software programs. You just need to find the one that suits your needs.

                      Good luck & good hunting,
                      Sharon
                    • Mark Rabideau
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 7, 2010
                        I think every genealogy program I have used allows printing.

                        Also it is worth noting that all of them also may be run as standalone
                        (even the web-based ones) if you are so inclined.

                        Pax Vobiscum,
                        ...mark (Mark Rabideau)

                        Visit us at: http://many-roads.com

                        > prefer a standalone program so I can print out what I have found, do
                        you
                        > know of one that I could download?
                        > Regards
                        > Paul..
                        > UK

                        Have you tried the free version of rootsmagic?it can be found at
                        http://www.rootsmagic.com They also have a more extensive prograsm for
                        purchase.

                        I personally have purchased a couple of different software programs. You
                        just need to find the one that suits your needs.

                        Good luck & good hunting,
                        Sharon

                      • Dawn Bennink
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 7, 2010
                          Jumping in the conversation here - I have used ancestry.com for a little
                          over a year now. I actually like the family tree builder as I've been able
                          to attach records and build on the hints, carefully of course. I got Family
                          Tree Maker 2010 as they work together well, and am RELATIVELY pleased with
                          it. It is an improvement over the previous version as it downloads photos
                          and such along with the tree from ancestry.com.

                          I've tried lots of other standalone programs but haven't been comfortable
                          with the interfaces. Honestly, I wish FTM was more like the ancestry.com
                          interface. With nearly 8000 people in my tree, I've become quite
                          comfortable working with it.

                          Just my two cents.

                          Dawn
                          totally hooked
                        • Dawn Bennink
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 7, 2010
                            BTW - regarding printing: if you are already using ancestry.com, you can
                            use their "Publish" tab at the top of the screen and create printable
                            documents, not just products they print for you. I made a beautiful history
                            book for my mother with census pages, ship manifests, photos, and a family
                            tree, all printed from there.

                            Dawn