Re: [Genealogy Research Club] RE:New Here

  • Lora Hall
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 2, 2010
      LOL, well, it's bitten HARD! My sister and I are bouncing off the walls!
      Our brains are mush at the end of the day and it is just the best feeling.
      We went from 'nothing but stories' to finding actual facts about our
      family. Incredible, just incredible!

      On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 5:49 PM, Tina Paxton <Frecs@...> wrote:

      > Lora commented: but we did find a little bit of info. Just
      >
      > enough to say I am beyond hooked now. Thanks again everyone! I sure
      > appreciate the help!
      >
      > My response: Oh, dear! You have contracted the genealogical virus! There is
      > no cure, I'm afraid.
      >
      > Tina Paxton
      >
      > Surnames: Paxton, Ent, Porter, Ryals..and others..

      Lora
      Helping Humanity
      http://fortheloveofhumanity.webs.com
      Zibbet! Zibbet!
      http://www.zibbet.com/SimmonsCreek
      Simmons Creek Trading Post
      http://simmonscreek.artfire.com

    • Ann
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 5, 2012
        I'd like to thank you for letting me join your group. I hope that you can help me with my brickwalls. My name is Ann Courtney. I have been doing genealogy for about 10 years now. I'm researching many lines and these are the main ones that I have been working on:

        Riggin/Riggins--Ireland, Virginia, Kentucky, Illinois, Wisconsin

        Sandberg--Norway, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin

        Fielman--Germany, Wisconsin

        Prevo/Prevost--France, Canada, Michigan

        Courtney--Ireland, Wisconsin

        Liptow--Michigan, Canada, Wisconsin

        Chrazanowski--Poland, Michigan

        At the moment, I have 4 brickwalls that I really could have some help with. I don't have full access to any of the pay sites.

        1) William Riggin b-abt 1688, Lancaster, Virginia d-unk
        married to Elizabeth Bridget abt 1713, Virginia
        Children:
        Elizabeth,John, William Powell,Kizziah, Bridget and Winniford.
        NOTE:
        My problem with this family, I can't find anything on William and Elizabeth.

        2) Ivar K Sandberg b-7/22/1882, Meloy, Helgeland, Norway d-1973, Minnesota
        married to Marion Berrum on Oct 4, 1917, Wisconsin
        They had 2 daughters and 3 sons.
        His parents are Anton P Kruger/Anton Pareli Glad Pederson/Anton Parelie and Anne/Ane Isaacson.
        NOTE:
        I'm trying to find any paper trail of Ivar between 1882-1902 and I would like to find anything regarding his parents. I know that Ivar had a sister, Pedra Antondatter. Ivar was also known as Iver Sandberg Antonsen.

        3) Edmond Courtney b-1832, County Kerry, Ireland d-12/19/1911, Janesville, Rock, Wisconsin, USA
        married Mary Madigan before 1850, New Hampshire (according to his obit)
        They had 6 children.
        NOTE:
        I can't find anything on him before 1860. He and his family, 3 children, were living in Afton, Rock, Wisconsin in 1860. According to this Census Record, the 2 oldest children were born in New York and the 3rd was born in Wisconsin. According to his obit, they moved to Afton in 1850 but there's no Census Record of them living there.

        4) Mieczyalas "John" Chrazanowski b-6/14/1888, German Poland d-9/28/1932, Alpena, Alpena, Michigan
        married Catherine Przeslawski, 10/18/1909, Alpena, Alpena, Michigan
        b-10/31/1891, Alpena, Alpena, Michigan
        d-6/4/1975, Alpena, Alpena, Michigan
        They had 6 children.
        NOTE:
        I can't find anything on Mieczyalas before 1909. I also can't find out who his parents are. I did contact the cemetery and they haven't gotten back to me!
      • Gene Bremer
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 6, 2012
          Welcome Ann! Good luck with everything

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 7, 2012
            On 3/5/2012 10:52 PM, Ann wrote:
            > 2) Ivar K Sandberg b-7/22/1882, Meloy, Helgeland, Norway d-1973,
            > Minnesota married to Marion Berrum on Oct 4, 1917, Wisconsin They had
            > 2 daughters and 3 sons. His parents are Anton P Kruger/Anton Pareli
            > Glad Pederson/Anton Parelie and Anne/Ane Isaacson.

            NOTE: I'm trying
            > to find any paper trail of Ivar between 1882-1902 and I would like to
            > find anything regarding his parents. I know that Ivar had a sister,
            > Pedra Antondatter. Ivar was also known as Iver Sandberg Antonsen.

            What are the sources for your information?

            When making an inquiry give all the applicable info you know like where
            they were married, Town and County.

            From Familysearch.org this may be he:

            New York Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island), 1892-1924 f
            Surname: Sandberg
            Last Place of Residence: New York, America
            Date of Arrival: 08 Apr 1914
            Age at Arrival: 24y
            Ethnicity: Sweden
            Port of Departure: Christiania
            Port of Arrival: New York
            Gender: Male
            Marital Status: S
            US Citizen:
            Ship of Travel: Frederik VIII

            The more I look the less I think that the above is your Ivor; he could
            have entered the USA though another port besides NY; Boston,
            Philadelphia and Baltimore are probabilities; or even through Canada.

            However FS does not show an Ivor Sandb* in the 1900 or 1910 Census in
            NY that matches the PAR.

            You can also look for his arrival in the Ellis island Data base through
            http://www.stevemorse.org/ and look at the manifest image.
            I looked for Ivar arriving in 1914 Norwegian

            He and Marion and daughter Anna are in the 1920 Census:

            United States Census, 1920 for
            Name: Marion Sandberg
            Residence: , Grant, Minnesota
            Estimated Birth Year: 1888
            Age: 32
            Birthplace: Minnesota
            Relationship to Head of Household: Wife
            Gender: Female
            Race: White
            Marital Status: Married
            Father's Birthplace:
            Mother's Birthplace:
            Film Number: 1820826
            Digital Folder Number: 4312174
            Image Number: 00956
            Sheet Number: 7
            Household Gender Age
            Spouse Ivar Sandberg M 35y
            Marion Sandberg F 32y
            Child Anna E Sandberg F 7m

            and in 1930

            bob gillis
          • Trish
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 8, 2012
              if you know the name of the cemetery and you type it in to google you might could pull up the cemetery listing of names who is buried there if that helps i think cyndis list also has cemetery listing's on her page

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 11, 2012
                My sources of information are a photo copy of Church Records for Ivar's birth and confirmation in Norway, Luther College in Iowa and a photo copy of some kind of imargration which Ivar came to America on 5/30/1900. The photo copies are all in Noregen (sp?). I personally talked to people at Lurther College to get information from them. He started at Luther College in 1904. I also know that he went to Farmer's College in Mpls, Minnesota before he went to Lurther College, according to his obit. I can't find anything on him between 1897-1900 (in Norway) and 1900 to 1904 (in America) other than the photo copy of immagration. I think that I can read on the photo copy of imagration  that he might of gone to Belegrade, Minnesota. I have never heard of that town. I'm not even sure if he went there or not.
                As for his parents and sister, I can't find them any where elce other than what is listed above and a 1875 Census of Rodoy, Norway, which lists his parents and his sister.

                Ann

                > 2) Ivar K Sandberg b-7/22/1882, Meloy, Helgeland, Norway d-1973,
                > Minnesota married to Marion Berrum on Oct 4, 1917, Wisconsin They had
                > 2 daughters and 3 sons. His parents are Anton P Kruger/Anton Pareli
                > Glad Pederson/Anton Parelie and Anne/Ane Isaacson.

                NOTE: I'm trying
                > to find any paper trail of Ivar between 1882-1902 and I would like to
                > find anything regarding his parents. I know that Ivar had a sister,
                > Pedra Antondatter. Ivar was also known as Iver Sandberg Antonsen.

                What are the sources for your information?

                When making an inquiry give all the applicable info you know like where
                they were married, Town and County.

                From Familysearch.org this may be he:

                New York Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island), 1892-1924 f
                Surname: Sandberg
                Last Place of Residence: New York, America
                Date of Arrival: 08 Apr 1914
[...]

              • Bloodhound; Kermit
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 3, 2012
                  I presume that you already have these,
                  but I like to check the sources for myself -
                  sometimes I see something that leads to something else -

                  Minnesota Death Index, 1908-2002
                  Name: Ivar Kruger Sandberg
                  Birth Date: 22 Jul 1882
                  Death Date: 10 Oct 1973
                  Death County: Grant
                  Mother's Maiden Name: Isaacson
                  State File Number: 025743
                  Certificate Number: 025743
                  Certificate Year: 1973
                  Record Number: 1894985
                  NOTE: similar info in the Social Security Death Index

                  1930 Lien, Grant, Minnesota
                  Sandberg, Ivar/47:Norway/imm:1900, Marion/42:MN:Nor:Nor,
                  (), Anna/10, Dorothea/9, Gerhard/8, John/6, Paul/4

                  1920 Barrett, Grant, Minnesota
                  Sandberg, Ivar/35:Norway/imm:1899, Marion/32:MN:Nor:WI, Anna E/7m

                  Name: Rev. Ivar Sandberg
                  Location: Barrett, Grant, Minnesota
                  Birth Date: 22 Jul 1882 (naturalized citizen)
                  Occupation: Minister of the Gospel
                  Nearest Relative: Mrs. Rev. Ivar Sandberg

                  U.S. Passport Applications, 1795-1925
                  Name: Ivar Sandberg
                  Birth Date: 22 Jul 1882
                  Birth Place: Grono, Norway
                  Age: 37
                  Residence: Barrett, Minn
                  Passport Issue Date: 25 Jun 1920
                  Father Name: Anton Parelie
                  Father's Birth Location: Norway
                  Father's Residence: Deceased
                  Passport Includes a Photo: Yes
                  NOTE: passport for his trip back to Norway to see his mother

                  U.S. Naturalization Record Indexes, 1791-1992
                  Name: Ivar Sandberg
                  Birth Date: 22 Jul 1882
                  Birth Place: Norway
                  Age at event: 26
                  Court District: Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, Iowa
                  Date of Action: 20 Apr 1909
                  Location of Court: Dist. Winneshiek Co. Decorah, Ia. [IOWA]

                  This looks like him in 1910 - going to school? -
                  1910 Decorah Ward 5, Winneshiek, Iowa
                  location: Luther College
                  Sandberg, Iver, head 27 single born Norway imm:1900 naturalized
                  Add Ekfeler 23, Marie E Morus 38, Emma F Boalsen 22,
                  Sigrid Koel 20, Sofie M Bupaker 16, Marie Koele 20,
                  Elma Bersager 18

                  This might be his immigration record -
                  Name: Iver Sandbeck
                  Arrival Date: 18 Mar 1899
                  Birth Year: abt 1882
                  Age: 17
                  Gender: Male
                  Ethnicity/Race/Nationality: Norwegian
                  Port of Departure: Liverpool, England - 11 Mar 1899
                  Port of Arrival: New York, New York
                  Ship Name: Campania
                  NOTES: line 22
                  last residence: Christiania
                  destination: Minneapolis Min.
                  <http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&rank=0&f8=iv*R&f10=&sx=&rg_f46__date=1882&rs_f46__date=5&f14=&f72=&f74=&f97=&f70=&f24=norw*&rg_f86__date=1900&rs_f86__date=1&gskw=&prox=1&db=nypl&ti=0&ti.si=0&gss=angs-d&pcat=40&fh=48&h=4009536600&recoff=8>

                  Same information & images is also available FREE at EllisIsland.org
                  <http://ellisisland.org/search/matchMore.asp?FNM=IVER&LNM=SANDBECK&PLNM=SANDBECK&CGD=M&bSYR=1881&bEYR=1883&first_kind=1&kind=exact&offset=0&dwpdone=1>

                  This is his RETURN from his trip to see his mother -
                  New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
                  Name: Ivar Sandberg
                  Arrival Date: 7 Sep 1920
                  Birth Year: abt 1882
                  Age: 38
                  Gender: Male
                  Port of Departure: Christiania
                  Port of Arrival: New York, New York
                  Ship Name: Stavangerfjord
                  <http://ellisisland.org/search/matchMore.asp?FNM=IVAR&LNM=SANDBERG&PLNM=SANDBERG&CGD=M&bSYR=1881&bEYR=1883&first_kind=1&kind=exact&offset=0&dwpdone=1>

                  wife MARION BERRUM and children have entries in book
                  "Genealogies of the Lomen [Ringstad], Brandt and Joys families"
                  http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=11975&enc=1
                  m. Ivar Kruger Sandberg son of Anton Pareli Kruger of Bodø, Norway

                  If indeed his emigration was in 1899,
                  then he should be in the 1900 U.S. census somewhere.
                  Maybe as SANDBECK instead of SANDBERG?

                  For his family back in Norway -
                  have you checked "Cemeteries in Norway"?
                  http://www.disnorge.no/gravminner/index.php?language=engelsk
                  Maybe look for location Bodø, Nordland, Norway ?
                  (this database is also searchable through Ancestry.com)

                  - Tom Knox

                  --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Ann Courtney <kris_rigg@...> wrote:

                  > My sources of information are a photo copy of Church Records for Ivar's birth and confirmation in Norway, Luther College in Iowa and a photo copy of some kind of imargration which Ivar came to America on 5/30/1900. The photo copies are all in Noregen (sp?). I personally talked to people at Lurther College to get information from them. He started at Luther College in 1904. I also know that he went to Farmer's College in Mpls, Minnesota before he went to Lurther College, according to his obit. I can't find anything on him between 1897-1900 (in Norway) and 1900 to 1904 (in America) other than the photo copy of immagration. I think that I can read on the photo copy of imagration  that he might of gone to Belegrade, Minnesota. I have never heard of that town. I'm not even sure if he went there or not.
                  > As for his parents and sister, I can't find them any where elce other than what is listed above and a 1875 Census of Rodoy, Norway, which lists his parents and his sister.
                  > Ann

                • Bloodhound; Kermit
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 3, 2012
                    > he might of gone to Belegrade, Minnesota

                    There is a BELGRADE Minnesota - in Stearns County -
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgrade,_Minnesota
                    Stearns County includes St. Cloud
                    http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~mngenweb/countymaps.htm

                    Rev Ivar Kruger Sandberg (1882-1973)
                    http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=42002614

                    Have you searched the 1900 Norway census?
                    http://www.rhd.uit.no/folketellinger/folketellinger_e.aspx
                    look at Province of Nordland ?
                    Also 1910 census available

                    - Tom Knox

                    --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Ann Courtney <kris_rigg@...> wrote:

                    > My sources of information are a photo copy of Church Records for Ivar's birth and confirmation in Norway, Luther College in Iowa and a photo copy of some kind of imargration which Ivar came to America on 5/30/1900. The photo copies are all in Noregen (sp?). I personally talked to people at Lurther College to get information from them. He started at Luther College in 1904. I also know that he went to Farmer's College in Mpls, Minnesota before he went to Lurther College, according to his obit. I can't find anything on him between 1897-1900 (in Norway) and 1900 to 1904 (in America) other than the photo copy of immagration. I think that I can read on the photo copy of imagration  that he might of gone to Belegrade, Minnesota. I have never heard of that town. I'm not even sure if he went there or not.
                    > As for his parents and sister, I can't find them any where elce other than what is listed above and a 1875 Census of Rodoy, Norway, which lists his parents and his sister.
                    > Ann

                  • bob gillis
                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 4, 2012
                      On 3/12/2012 12:42 AM, Ann Courtney wrote:
                      > My sources of information are a photo copy of Church Records for
                      > Ivar's birth and confirmation in Norway, Luther College in Iowa and
                      > a photo copy of some kind of immigration which Ivar came to America
                      > on 5/30/1900.The photo copies are all in Noregen, (sp?) [why not use
                      > Norwegian ].

                      I do not know what document you have a copy of but the Passenger
                      Arrivals List for the USA are in English. I did find using Steve Morse's
                      site at http://www.stevemorse.org/:

                      First Name: Iver
                      Last Name: Sandbeck
                      Ethnicity: Norway, Norwegian
                      Last Place of Residence: Christiania
                      Date of Arrival: Mar 18, 1899
                      Age at Arrival: 17y Gender: M Marital Status: S
                      Ship of Travel: Campania
                      Port of Departure: Liverpool
                      Manifest Line Number: 0022
                      He was going to Minneapolis, MN

                      Is this your Ivor

                      > I personally talked to people at Luther College to get information
                      > from them. He started at Luther College in 1904. I also know that he
                      > went to Farmer's College in Minneapolis Minnesota before he went to
                      > Luther College, according to his obit. I can't find anything on him
                      > between 1897-1900 (in Norway) and 1900 to 1904 (in America) other
                      > than the photo copy of immigration. I think that I can read on the
                      > photo copy of immigration that he might of gone to Belegrade,
                      > Minnesota. I have never heard of that town. I'm not even sure if he
                      > went there or not.

                      Belgrade MN is about 21 miles SSW of Sauk Center in Stearns County on\m
                      Route US 71

                      There are no US Federal records between the 1900 and 1910 Census. There
                      is a 1905 MN Census which you can search on familysearch.org.

                      Search and Browse the NOR-NORDLAND list on rootsweb.

                      > As for his parents and sister, I can't find them any where else
                      > other than what is listed above and a 1875 Census of Rodoy, Norway,
                      > which lists his parents and his sister.

                      Probably his parents and sister did not emigrate.

                      > On 3/5/2012 10:52 PM, Ann wrote:
                      >> 2) Ivar K Sandberg b-7/22/1882, Meloy, Helgeland, Norway d-1973,
                      >> Minnesota married to Marion Berrum on Oct 4, 1917, Wisconsin They
                      >> had 2 daughters and 3 sons. His parents are Anton P Kruger/Anton
                      >> Pareli Glad Pederson/Anton Parelie and Anne/Ane Isaacson.
                      >
                      > NOTE: I'm trying
                      >> to find any paper trail of Ivar between 1882-1902 and I would like
                      >> to find anything regarding his parents. I know that Ivar had a
                      >> sister, Pedra Antondatter. Ivar was also known as Iver Sandberg
                      >> Antonsen.

                      Norway baptisms, marriages and burials are on FS.

                      bob gillis