I wish I could get hooked.. but I haven't got far..

  • P. R.
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 2, 2010
      I seem to have fallen at the first hurdle with my searches.
      I found my granddad, Percy Wragg who was born in Ipswich UK in 1883,
      and found his parents, Frederick Wragg,a Poultry Breeder born 1835, & his wife, Martha Wragg born 1844.
      Apart from finding my granddads brothers & sisters, I have been unable to go back any further or find out any other information.
      I have been doing my searches at: Findmypast.co.uk. Do you know if there are any other sites that might be able to help?
      many thanks
      Paul..
      UK
    • Robert Bonney
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 2, 2010
        I see lots of Wragg people on Ancestry.com you might try here.

        Name:Fredrick Wragg
        Arrival Date:24 May 1913
        Age:22
        Birth Date:abt 1891
        Birth Country:England
        Gender:Male
        Race/Nationality:English

        Port of Arrival:Port Huron, Michigan, USA

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 2, 2010
          http://awtc.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=:2843291&id=I568141660&ti=5538

          Not sure if these people might be related to your family.

          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 3, 2010
            Many thanks Robert, What do you think would be the most reasonable package
            to buy to search on Ancestry.com? I only want to search for my family.
            Paul..

            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 3, 2010
              First off, you can NOT rely on information you find on the internet. Use
              the information you find as CLUES, but you need to document and verify that
              information, those CLUES, for yourself. The best way to do that is w/actual
              birth certificates, marriage certificates and death certificates. Church
              records, tax records, land records, wills, estate papers are other good
              sources. Census records can be a big help.

              http://www.familysearch.com is a good starting source. Make use of the
              nearest LDS family history center. Many wills, estates, deeds, etc. are
              available via microfilm rental thru the FHCs.

              http://www.rootsweb.com is another good source to connect w/others
              researching your line. They have mailing lists and forums for countries,
              states, counties, surnames, etc.

              You also need to allow for variable spellings. The further back in our
              ancestry we go the less reliable the surname spellings become.
            • Robert Bonney
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 3, 2010
                I would buy the least expensive one and you can always update later. The Church of Laterday Saints is a good place and it is free some times the information isn't as correct as one would like but it gives you a starting point..

                Regards
                Bob Bonney

                ________________________________

                ____________ _________ _________ __
                I seem to have fallen at the first hurdle with my searches.
                I found my granddad, Percy Wragg who was born in Ipswich UK in 1883,
                And found his parents, Frederick Wragg,a Poultry Breeder born 1835, & his
                wife, Martha Wragg born 1844.
                Apart from finding my granddads brothers & sisters, I have been unable to go
                back any further or find out any other information.
                I have been doing my searches at: Findmypast.co. UK. Do you know if there
                are any other sites that might be able to help?
                Many thanks
                Paul..
                UK

              • Bloodhound; Kermit
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 4, 2010
                  1891 St Mary Stoke, Suffolk, England
                  Wragg, Frederick/56, Martha/47, Francis I?/26, Edwin V/23,
                  (), Bertram/21, Gertrude/18, Walter I/16, Albert E/14, Alfred E/12,
                  (), Percy P/8, Eveline/6, Cecil R/3
                  NOTE: Frederick born "Sheffield, Yorkshire"; Martha born ditto

                  1881 Ipswich St Mary Stoke, Suffolk, England
                  Wragg, Frederick/46, Martha/37, Francis Joseph/16, Edwin Vernon/13,
                  (), Bertram Victor/11, Gertrude/8, Walter Irvin/6,
                  (), Albert Earnest/4, Alfred Erskine/2, Dora/??
                  NOTE: Frederick born "Sheffield, Yorkshire"; Martha born ditto

                  1871 Ipswich St Mary Stoke, Suffolk, England
                  Wragg, Frederick/36, Martha/27, Francis J/6,
                  (), Frederick C/4, Edwin V/3, Bertram V/1
                  NOTE: Frederick born "Sheffield, Yorkshire"; Martha born ditto

                  A possibility:
                  1851 Sheffield, Yorkshire, England
                  Wragg, Ann/54, Samuel/24, Mary Ann/21, Frederick/15
                  NOTE: Frederick born "Sheffield, Yorkshire"

                  Two possibilities -
                  1841 Sheffield, Yorkshire, England
                  Wragg, Joseph/35, Ann/40, Samuel/13, Mary/11, Frederick/5, Sampson/15
                  and an alternative -
                  1841 Sheffield, Yorkshire, England
                  Wragg, Sephmus/30, Harriot/30, Harriot/9, Fredrick/7

                  Ancestry.com has multiple Public Member Trees that have
                  Frederick Wragg
                  Birth: Abt 1835-1836 Sheffield, Yorkshire
                  Spouse: Martha Crookes (or Crooks)
                  Most of those Trees list Joseph and Ann Wragg as the parents of Frederick.

                  - Tom Knox

                  --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "P. R." <blighty_fellow@...> wrote:

                  > I seem to have fallen at the first hurdle with my searches.
                  > I found my granddad, Percy Wragg who was born in Ipswich UK in 1883,
                  > and found his parents, Frederick Wragg,a Poultry Breeder born 1835, & his wife, Martha Wragg born 1844.
                  > Apart from finding my granddads brothers & sisters, I have been unable to go back any further or find out any other information.
                  > I have been doing my searches at: Findmypast.co.uk. Do you know if there are any other sites that might be able to help?
                  > many thanks
                  > Paul..
                  > UK

                • P R Garwood
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 6, 2010
                    Dear Tom, thank you so much for all this information, this will give me
                    something to work on. I'm still not sure which site to go on? I have signed
                    up to Ancestry.com but not convinced this is the best. I don't like their
                    family tree builder as you cannot do very much with it, I think I would
                    prefer a standalone program so I can print out what I have found, do you
                    know of one that I could download?
                    Regards
                    Paul..
                    UK

                    wrote:

                    > I seem to have fallen at the first hurdle with my searches.
                    > I found my granddad, Percy Wragg who was born in Ipswich UK in 1883,
                    > and found his parents, Frederick Wragg,a Poultry Breeder born 1835, & his
                    wife, Martha Wragg born 1844.
                    > Apart from finding my granddads brothers & sisters, I have been unable to
                    > I have been doing my searches at: Findmypast.co.uk. Do you know if there
                    are any other sites that might be able to help?
                    > many thanks
                    > Paul..
                    > UK

                  • Robert Bonney
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 7, 2010
                      I have found the Roots Magic program to be friendly and very easy to work with. The total cost is about $30.00 and they have a good search feature.
                      Hope this helps
                      Bob Bonney

                      ________________________________

                      wrote:

                      > I seem to have fallen at the first hurdle with my searches.
                      > I found my granddad, Percy Wragg who was born in Ipswich UK in 1883,
                      > and found his parents, Frederick Wragg,a Poultry Breeder born 1835, & his
                      wife, Martha Wragg born 1844.
                      > Apart from finding my granddads brothers & sisters, I have been unable to
                      > I have been doing my searches at: Findmypast.co. uk. Do you know if there
                      are any other sites that might be able to help?
                      > many thanks
                      > Paul..
                      > UK

                    • SharonG
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 7, 2010
                        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "P R Garwood" <blighty_fellow@...> wrote:

                        > I think I would
                        > prefer a standalone program so I can print out what I have found, do you
                        > know of one that I could download?
                        > Regards
                        > Paul..
                        > UK

                        Have you tried the free version of rootsmagic?it can be found at http://www.rootsmagic.com They also have a more extensive prograsm for purchase.

                        I personally have purchased a couple of different software programs. You just need to find the one that suits your needs.

                        Good luck & good hunting,
                        Sharon
                      • Mark Rabideau
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 7, 2010
                          I think every genealogy program I have used allows printing.

                          Also it is worth noting that all of them also may be run as standalone
                          (even the web-based ones) if you are so inclined.

                          Pax Vobiscum,
                          ...mark (Mark Rabideau)

                          Visit us at: http://many-roads.com

                          > prefer a standalone program so I can print out what I have found, do
                          you
                          > know of one that I could download?
                          > Regards
                          > Paul..
                          > UK

                          Have you tried the free version of rootsmagic?it can be found at
                          http://www.rootsmagic.com They also have a more extensive prograsm for
                          purchase.

                          I personally have purchased a couple of different software programs. You
                          just need to find the one that suits your needs.

                          Good luck & good hunting,
                          Sharon

                        • Dawn Bennink
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 7, 2010
                            Jumping in the conversation here - I have used ancestry.com for a little
                            over a year now. I actually like the family tree builder as I've been able
                            to attach records and build on the hints, carefully of course. I got Family
                            Tree Maker 2010 as they work together well, and am RELATIVELY pleased with
                            it. It is an improvement over the previous version as it downloads photos
                            and such along with the tree from ancestry.com.

                            I've tried lots of other standalone programs but haven't been comfortable
                            with the interfaces. Honestly, I wish FTM was more like the ancestry.com
                            interface. With nearly 8000 people in my tree, I've become quite
                            comfortable working with it.

                            Just my two cents.

                            Dawn
                            totally hooked
                          • Dawn Bennink
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jan 7, 2010
                              BTW - regarding printing: if you are already using ancestry.com, you can
                              use their "Publish" tab at the top of the screen and create printable
                              documents, not just products they print for you. I made a beautiful history
                              book for my mother with census pages, ship manifests, photos, and a family
                              tree, all printed from there.

                              Dawn