RE: [Genealogy Research Club] RE:New Here

  • Tina Paxton
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 1, 2010
      Lora commented: but we did find a little bit of info. Just
      enough to say I am beyond hooked now. Thanks again everyone! I sure
      appreciate the help!

      My response: Oh, dear! You have contracted the genealogical virus! There is
      no cure, I'm afraid.

      Tina Paxton

      Surnames: Paxton, Ent, Porter, Ryals..and others..

    • Lora Hall
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 2, 2010
        LOL, well, it's bitten HARD! My sister and I are bouncing off the walls!
        Our brains are mush at the end of the day and it is just the best feeling.
        We went from 'nothing but stories' to finding actual facts about our
        family. Incredible, just incredible!

        On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 5:49 PM, Tina Paxton <Frecs@...> wrote:

        > Lora commented: but we did find a little bit of info. Just
        >
        > enough to say I am beyond hooked now. Thanks again everyone! I sure
        > appreciate the help!
        >
        > My response: Oh, dear! You have contracted the genealogical virus! There is
        > no cure, I'm afraid.
        >
        > Tina Paxton
        >
        > Surnames: Paxton, Ent, Porter, Ryals..and others..

        Lora
        Helping Humanity
        http://fortheloveofhumanity.webs.com
        Zibbet! Zibbet!
        http://www.zibbet.com/SimmonsCreek
        Simmons Creek Trading Post
        http://simmonscreek.artfire.com

      • Ann
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 5, 2012
          I'd like to thank you for letting me join your group. I hope that you can help me with my brickwalls. My name is Ann Courtney. I have been doing genealogy for about 10 years now. I'm researching many lines and these are the main ones that I have been working on:

          Riggin/Riggins--Ireland, Virginia, Kentucky, Illinois, Wisconsin

          Sandberg--Norway, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin

          Fielman--Germany, Wisconsin

          Prevo/Prevost--France, Canada, Michigan

          Courtney--Ireland, Wisconsin

          Liptow--Michigan, Canada, Wisconsin

          Chrazanowski--Poland, Michigan

          At the moment, I have 4 brickwalls that I really could have some help with. I don't have full access to any of the pay sites.

          1) William Riggin b-abt 1688, Lancaster, Virginia d-unk
          married to Elizabeth Bridget abt 1713, Virginia
          Children:
          Elizabeth,John, William Powell,Kizziah, Bridget and Winniford.
          NOTE:
          My problem with this family, I can't find anything on William and Elizabeth.

          2) Ivar K Sandberg b-7/22/1882, Meloy, Helgeland, Norway d-1973, Minnesota
          married to Marion Berrum on Oct 4, 1917, Wisconsin
          They had 2 daughters and 3 sons.
          His parents are Anton P Kruger/Anton Pareli Glad Pederson/Anton Parelie and Anne/Ane Isaacson.
          NOTE:
          I'm trying to find any paper trail of Ivar between 1882-1902 and I would like to find anything regarding his parents. I know that Ivar had a sister, Pedra Antondatter. Ivar was also known as Iver Sandberg Antonsen.

          3) Edmond Courtney b-1832, County Kerry, Ireland d-12/19/1911, Janesville, Rock, Wisconsin, USA
          married Mary Madigan before 1850, New Hampshire (according to his obit)
          They had 6 children.
          NOTE:
          I can't find anything on him before 1860. He and his family, 3 children, were living in Afton, Rock, Wisconsin in 1860. According to this Census Record, the 2 oldest children were born in New York and the 3rd was born in Wisconsin. According to his obit, they moved to Afton in 1850 but there's no Census Record of them living there.

          4) Mieczyalas "John" Chrazanowski b-6/14/1888, German Poland d-9/28/1932, Alpena, Alpena, Michigan
          married Catherine Przeslawski, 10/18/1909, Alpena, Alpena, Michigan
          b-10/31/1891, Alpena, Alpena, Michigan
          d-6/4/1975, Alpena, Alpena, Michigan
          They had 6 children.
          NOTE:
          I can't find anything on Mieczyalas before 1909. I also can't find out who his parents are. I did contact the cemetery and they haven't gotten back to me!
        • Gene Bremer
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 6, 2012
            Welcome Ann! Good luck with everything

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 7, 2012
              On 3/5/2012 10:52 PM, Ann wrote:
              > 2) Ivar K Sandberg b-7/22/1882, Meloy, Helgeland, Norway d-1973,
              > Minnesota married to Marion Berrum on Oct 4, 1917, Wisconsin They had
              > 2 daughters and 3 sons. His parents are Anton P Kruger/Anton Pareli
              > Glad Pederson/Anton Parelie and Anne/Ane Isaacson.

              NOTE: I'm trying
              > to find any paper trail of Ivar between 1882-1902 and I would like to
              > find anything regarding his parents. I know that Ivar had a sister,
              > Pedra Antondatter. Ivar was also known as Iver Sandberg Antonsen.

              What are the sources for your information?

              When making an inquiry give all the applicable info you know like where
              they were married, Town and County.

              From Familysearch.org this may be he:

              New York Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island), 1892-1924 f
              Surname: Sandberg
              Last Place of Residence: New York, America
              Date of Arrival: 08 Apr 1914
              Age at Arrival: 24y
              Ethnicity: Sweden
              Port of Departure: Christiania
              Port of Arrival: New York
              Gender: Male
              Marital Status: S
              US Citizen:
              Ship of Travel: Frederik VIII

              The more I look the less I think that the above is your Ivor; he could
              have entered the USA though another port besides NY; Boston,
              Philadelphia and Baltimore are probabilities; or even through Canada.

              However FS does not show an Ivor Sandb* in the 1900 or 1910 Census in
              NY that matches the PAR.

              You can also look for his arrival in the Ellis island Data base through
              http://www.stevemorse.org/ and look at the manifest image.
              I looked for Ivar arriving in 1914 Norwegian

              He and Marion and daughter Anna are in the 1920 Census:

              United States Census, 1920 for
              Name: Marion Sandberg
              Residence: , Grant, Minnesota
              Estimated Birth Year: 1888
              Age: 32
              Birthplace: Minnesota
              Relationship to Head of Household: Wife
              Gender: Female
              Race: White
              Marital Status: Married
              Father's Birthplace:
              Mother's Birthplace:
              Film Number: 1820826
              Digital Folder Number: 4312174
              Image Number: 00956
              Sheet Number: 7
              Household Gender Age
              Spouse Ivar Sandberg M 35y
              Marion Sandberg F 32y
              Child Anna E Sandberg F 7m

              and in 1930

              bob gillis
            • Trish
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 8, 2012
                if you know the name of the cemetery and you type it in to google you might could pull up the cemetery listing of names who is buried there if that helps i think cyndis list also has cemetery listing's on her page

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 11, 2012
                  My sources of information are a photo copy of Church Records for Ivar's birth and confirmation in Norway, Luther College in Iowa and a photo copy of some kind of imargration which Ivar came to America on 5/30/1900. The photo copies are all in Noregen (sp?). I personally talked to people at Lurther College to get information from them. He started at Luther College in 1904. I also know that he went to Farmer's College in Mpls, Minnesota before he went to Lurther College, according to his obit. I can't find anything on him between 1897-1900 (in Norway) and 1900 to 1904 (in America) other than the photo copy of immagration. I think that I can read on the photo copy of imagration  that he might of gone to Belegrade, Minnesota. I have never heard of that town. I'm not even sure if he went there or not.
                  As for his parents and sister, I can't find them any where elce other than what is listed above and a 1875 Census of Rodoy, Norway, which lists his parents and his sister.

                  Ann

                  > 2) Ivar K Sandberg b-7/22/1882, Meloy, Helgeland, Norway d-1973,
                  > Minnesota married to Marion Berrum on Oct 4, 1917, Wisconsin They had
                  > 2 daughters and 3 sons. His parents are Anton P Kruger/Anton Pareli
                  > Glad Pederson/Anton Parelie and Anne/Ane Isaacson.

                  NOTE: I'm trying
                  > to find any paper trail of Ivar between 1882-1902 and I would like to
                  > find anything regarding his parents. I know that Ivar had a sister,
                  > Pedra Antondatter. Ivar was also known as Iver Sandberg Antonsen.

                  What are the sources for your information?

                  When making an inquiry give all the applicable info you know like where
                  they were married, Town and County.

                  From Familysearch.org this may be he:

                  New York Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island), 1892-1924 f
                  Surname: Sandberg
                  Last Place of Residence: New York, America
                  Date of Arrival: 08 Apr 1914
[...]

                • Bloodhound; Kermit
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 3 11:09 PM
                    I presume that you already have these,
                    but I like to check the sources for myself -
                    sometimes I see something that leads to something else -

                    Minnesota Death Index, 1908-2002
                    Name: Ivar Kruger Sandberg
                    Birth Date: 22 Jul 1882
                    Death Date: 10 Oct 1973
                    Death County: Grant
                    Mother's Maiden Name: Isaacson
                    State File Number: 025743
                    Certificate Number: 025743
                    Certificate Year: 1973
                    Record Number: 1894985
                    NOTE: similar info in the Social Security Death Index

                    1930 Lien, Grant, Minnesota
                    Sandberg, Ivar/47:Norway/imm:1900, Marion/42:MN:Nor:Nor,
                    (), Anna/10, Dorothea/9, Gerhard/8, John/6, Paul/4

                    1920 Barrett, Grant, Minnesota
                    Sandberg, Ivar/35:Norway/imm:1899, Marion/32:MN:Nor:WI, Anna E/7m

                    Name: Rev. Ivar Sandberg
                    Location: Barrett, Grant, Minnesota
                    Birth Date: 22 Jul 1882 (naturalized citizen)
                    Occupation: Minister of the Gospel
                    Nearest Relative: Mrs. Rev. Ivar Sandberg

                    U.S. Passport Applications, 1795-1925
                    Name: Ivar Sandberg
                    Birth Date: 22 Jul 1882
                    Birth Place: Grono, Norway
                    Age: 37
                    Residence: Barrett, Minn
                    Passport Issue Date: 25 Jun 1920
                    Father Name: Anton Parelie
                    Father's Birth Location: Norway
                    Father's Residence: Deceased
                    Passport Includes a Photo: Yes
                    NOTE: passport for his trip back to Norway to see his mother

                    U.S. Naturalization Record Indexes, 1791-1992
                    Name: Ivar Sandberg
                    Birth Date: 22 Jul 1882
                    Birth Place: Norway
                    Age at event: 26
                    Court District: Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, Iowa
                    Date of Action: 20 Apr 1909
                    Location of Court: Dist. Winneshiek Co. Decorah, Ia. [IOWA]

                    This looks like him in 1910 - going to school? -
                    1910 Decorah Ward 5, Winneshiek, Iowa
                    location: Luther College
                    Sandberg, Iver, head 27 single born Norway imm:1900 naturalized
                    Add Ekfeler 23, Marie E Morus 38, Emma F Boalsen 22,
                    Sigrid Koel 20, Sofie M Bupaker 16, Marie Koele 20,
                    Elma Bersager 18

                    This might be his immigration record -
                    Name: Iver Sandbeck
                    Arrival Date: 18 Mar 1899
                    Birth Year: abt 1882
                    Age: 17
                    Gender: Male
                    Ethnicity/Race/Nationality: Norwegian
                    Port of Departure: Liverpool, England - 11 Mar 1899
                    Port of Arrival: New York, New York
                    Ship Name: Campania
                    NOTES: line 22
                    last residence: Christiania
                    destination: Minneapolis Min.
                    <http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&rank=0&f8=iv*R&f10=&sx=&rg_f46__date=1882&rs_f46__date=5&f14=&f72=&f74=&f97=&f70=&f24=norw*&rg_f86__date=1900&rs_f86__date=1&gskw=&prox=1&db=nypl&ti=0&ti.si=0&gss=angs-d&pcat=40&fh=48&h=4009536600&recoff=8>

                    Same information & images is also available FREE at EllisIsland.org
                    <http://ellisisland.org/search/matchMore.asp?FNM=IVER&LNM=SANDBECK&PLNM=SANDBECK&CGD=M&bSYR=1881&bEYR=1883&first_kind=1&kind=exact&offset=0&dwpdone=1>

                    This is his RETURN from his trip to see his mother -
                    New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
                    Name: Ivar Sandberg
                    Arrival Date: 7 Sep 1920
                    Birth Year: abt 1882
                    Age: 38
                    Gender: Male
                    Port of Departure: Christiania
                    Port of Arrival: New York, New York
                    Ship Name: Stavangerfjord
                    <http://ellisisland.org/search/matchMore.asp?FNM=IVAR&LNM=SANDBERG&PLNM=SANDBERG&CGD=M&bSYR=1881&bEYR=1883&first_kind=1&kind=exact&offset=0&dwpdone=1>

                    wife MARION BERRUM and children have entries in book
                    "Genealogies of the Lomen [Ringstad], Brandt and Joys families"
                    http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=11975&enc=1
                    m. Ivar Kruger Sandberg son of Anton Pareli Kruger of Bodø, Norway

                    If indeed his emigration was in 1899,
                    then he should be in the 1900 U.S. census somewhere.
                    Maybe as SANDBECK instead of SANDBERG?

                    For his family back in Norway -
                    have you checked "Cemeteries in Norway"?
                    http://www.disnorge.no/gravminner/index.php?language=engelsk
                    Maybe look for location Bodø, Nordland, Norway ?
                    (this database is also searchable through Ancestry.com)

                    - Tom Knox

                    --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Ann Courtney <kris_rigg@...> wrote:

                    > My sources of information are a photo copy of Church Records for Ivar's birth and confirmation in Norway, Luther College in Iowa and a photo copy of some kind of imargration which Ivar came to America on 5/30/1900. The photo copies are all in Noregen (sp?). I personally talked to people at Lurther College to get information from them. He started at Luther College in 1904. I also know that he went to Farmer's College in Mpls, Minnesota before he went to Lurther College, according to his obit. I can't find anything on him between 1897-1900 (in Norway) and 1900 to 1904 (in America) other than the photo copy of immagration. I think that I can read on the photo copy of imagration  that he might of gone to Belegrade, Minnesota. I have never heard of that town. I'm not even sure if he went there or not.
                    > As for his parents and sister, I can't find them any where elce other than what is listed above and a 1875 Census of Rodoy, Norway, which lists his parents and his sister.
                    > Ann

                  • Bloodhound; Kermit
                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 3 11:41 PM
                      > he might of gone to Belegrade, Minnesota

                      There is a BELGRADE Minnesota - in Stearns County -
                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgrade,_Minnesota
                      Stearns County includes St. Cloud
                      http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~mngenweb/countymaps.htm

                      Rev Ivar Kruger Sandberg (1882-1973)
                      http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=42002614

                      Have you searched the 1900 Norway census?
                      http://www.rhd.uit.no/folketellinger/folketellinger_e.aspx
                      look at Province of Nordland ?
                      Also 1910 census available

                      - Tom Knox

                      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Ann Courtney <kris_rigg@...> wrote:

                      > My sources of information are a photo copy of Church Records for Ivar's birth and confirmation in Norway, Luther College in Iowa and a photo copy of some kind of imargration which Ivar came to America on 5/30/1900. The photo copies are all in Noregen (sp?). I personally talked to people at Lurther College to get information from them. He started at Luther College in 1904. I also know that he went to Farmer's College in Mpls, Minnesota before he went to Lurther College, according to his obit. I can't find anything on him between 1897-1900 (in Norway) and 1900 to 1904 (in America) other than the photo copy of immagration. I think that I can read on the photo copy of imagration  that he might of gone to Belegrade, Minnesota. I have never heard of that town. I'm not even sure if he went there or not.
                      > As for his parents and sister, I can't find them any where elce other than what is listed above and a 1875 Census of Rodoy, Norway, which lists his parents and his sister.
                      > Ann

                    • bob gillis
                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 4 1:50 PM
                        On 3/12/2012 12:42 AM, Ann Courtney wrote:
                        > My sources of information are a photo copy of Church Records for
                        > Ivar's birth and confirmation in Norway, Luther College in Iowa and
                        > a photo copy of some kind of immigration which Ivar came to America
                        > on 5/30/1900.The photo copies are all in Noregen, (sp?) [why not use
                        > Norwegian ].

                        I do not know what document you have a copy of but the Passenger
                        Arrivals List for the USA are in English. I did find using Steve Morse's
                        site at http://www.stevemorse.org/:

                        First Name: Iver
                        Last Name: Sandbeck
                        Ethnicity: Norway, Norwegian
                        Last Place of Residence: Christiania
                        Date of Arrival: Mar 18, 1899
                        Age at Arrival: 17y Gender: M Marital Status: S
                        Ship of Travel: Campania
                        Port of Departure: Liverpool
                        Manifest Line Number: 0022
                        He was going to Minneapolis, MN

                        Is this your Ivor

                        > I personally talked to people at Luther College to get information
                        > from them. He started at Luther College in 1904. I also know that he
                        > went to Farmer's College in Minneapolis Minnesota before he went to
                        > Luther College, according to his obit. I can't find anything on him
                        > between 1897-1900 (in Norway) and 1900 to 1904 (in America) other
                        > than the photo copy of immigration. I think that I can read on the
                        > photo copy of immigration that he might of gone to Belegrade,
                        > Minnesota. I have never heard of that town. I'm not even sure if he
                        > went there or not.

                        Belgrade MN is about 21 miles SSW of Sauk Center in Stearns County on\m
                        Route US 71

                        There are no US Federal records between the 1900 and 1910 Census. There
                        is a 1905 MN Census which you can search on familysearch.org.

                        Search and Browse the NOR-NORDLAND list on rootsweb.

                        > As for his parents and sister, I can't find them any where else
                        > other than what is listed above and a 1875 Census of Rodoy, Norway,
                        > which lists his parents and his sister.

                        Probably his parents and sister did not emigrate.

                        > On 3/5/2012 10:52 PM, Ann wrote:
                        >> 2) Ivar K Sandberg b-7/22/1882, Meloy, Helgeland, Norway d-1973,
                        >> Minnesota married to Marion Berrum on Oct 4, 1917, Wisconsin They
                        >> had 2 daughters and 3 sons. His parents are Anton P Kruger/Anton
                        >> Pareli Glad Pederson/Anton Parelie and Anne/Ane Isaacson.
                        >
                        > NOTE: I'm trying
                        >> to find any paper trail of Ivar between 1882-1902 and I would like
                        >> to find anything regarding his parents. I know that Ivar had a
                        >> sister, Pedra Antondatter. Ivar was also known as Iver Sandberg
                        >> Antonsen.

                        Norway baptisms, marriages and burials are on FS.

                        bob gillis