RE:New Here

  • sue chilberg
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 31, 2009
      Do you have a LDS church around you? A lot of them have a family research
      center that you can go to>You don't have to be a Mormon to go to them they
      are open to everyone and the volunteers there are very helpful.You can acess
      Ancestry,com and I believe footnote.com at them, also you can rent microfilm
      of records etc., that the church has copied. Also the LDS c hurch holds a
      twice yearly "genealogy conference" at a lot of the churches on a Saturday,
      They have a lot of different classes that you can attend from beginner to
      expert, again you don't have to be a church member to attend. Here in Idaho
      the fee is $9 for all day. I have been to them and have learned alot,I am
      not LDS. Go to:
      www.familysearch.org
      This is the website for the church, they have a search box that you can look
      and see if there is a family history library in your area. Also you can
      contact them and see if they have any genealogy conferences in your area.
      Also on the website check out the site map at bottom of page, there are
      articles on gettibg started atc. under research helps and library tabs there
      are also a lot of articles to help you get started.
      Also check out www.rootsweb.com
      and sign up for the Gen- Newbie list. There are a lot of helpful people on
      that list. and also at rootsweb there are name lists,state lists,city lists
      and boards.
      Good luck in your research.

    • Lora Hall
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 1, 2010
        Thanks so much for the info. Yes, I have an LDS church close by as well as
        a genealogical society of some sort I believe. Never paid that much
        attention to it as I drove by! But I will now! I always thought that it
        was just for Mormons though. Thank you for the links, I will check them
        out. I've been working on this all day with my sister via the computer and
        my brain is just about mush, but we did find a little bit of info. Just
        enough to say I am beyond hooked now. Thanks again everyone! I sure
        appreciate the help!

        On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 8:07 PM, sue chilberg <suec59@...> wrote:

        > Do you have a LDS church around you? A lot of them have a family research
        > center that you can go to>You don't have to be a Mormon to go to them they
        > are open to everyone and the volunteers there are very helpful.You can
        > acess
        > Ancestry,com and I believe footnote.com at them, also you can rent
        > microfilm
        > of records etc., that the church has copied. Also the LDS c hurch holds a
        > twice yearly "genealogy conference" at a lot of the churches on a Saturday,
        > They have a lot of different classes that you can attend from beginner to
        > expert, again you don't have to be a church member to attend. Here in Idaho
        > the fee is $9 for all day. I have been to them and have learned alot,I am
        > not LDS. Go to:
        > www.familysearch.org
        > This is the website for the church, they have a search box that you can
        > look
        > and see if there is a family history library in your area. Also you can
        > contact them and see if they have any genealogy conferences in your area.
        > Also on the website check out the site map at bottom of page, there are
        > articles on gettibg started atc. under research helps and library tabs
        > there
        > are also a lot of articles to help you get started.
        > Also check out www.rootsweb.com
        > and sign up for the Gen- Newbie list. There are a lot of helpful people on
        > that list. and also at rootsweb there are name lists,state lists,city lists
        > and boards.
        > Good luck in your research.

        Lora
        Helping Humanity
        http://fortheloveofhumanity.webs.com
        Zibbet! Zibbet!
        http://www.zibbet.com/SimmonsCreek
        Simmons Creek Trading Post
        http://simmonscreek.artfire.com

      • Tina Paxton
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 1, 2010
          Lora commented: but we did find a little bit of info. Just
          enough to say I am beyond hooked now. Thanks again everyone! I sure
          appreciate the help!

          My response: Oh, dear! You have contracted the genealogical virus! There is
          no cure, I'm afraid.

          Tina Paxton

          Surnames: Paxton, Ent, Porter, Ryals..and others..

        • Lora Hall
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 2, 2010
            LOL, well, it's bitten HARD! My sister and I are bouncing off the walls!
            Our brains are mush at the end of the day and it is just the best feeling.
            We went from 'nothing but stories' to finding actual facts about our
            family. Incredible, just incredible!

            On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 5:49 PM, Tina Paxton <Frecs@...> wrote:

            > Lora commented: but we did find a little bit of info. Just
            >
            > enough to say I am beyond hooked now. Thanks again everyone! I sure
            > appreciate the help!
            >
            > My response: Oh, dear! You have contracted the genealogical virus! There is
            > no cure, I'm afraid.
            >
            > Tina Paxton
            >
            > Surnames: Paxton, Ent, Porter, Ryals..and others..

            Lora
            Helping Humanity
            http://fortheloveofhumanity.webs.com
            Zibbet! Zibbet!
            http://www.zibbet.com/SimmonsCreek
            Simmons Creek Trading Post
            http://simmonscreek.artfire.com

          • Ann
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 5, 2012
              I'd like to thank you for letting me join your group. I hope that you can help me with my brickwalls. My name is Ann Courtney. I have been doing genealogy for about 10 years now. I'm researching many lines and these are the main ones that I have been working on:

              Riggin/Riggins--Ireland, Virginia, Kentucky, Illinois, Wisconsin

              Sandberg--Norway, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin

              Fielman--Germany, Wisconsin

              Prevo/Prevost--France, Canada, Michigan

              Courtney--Ireland, Wisconsin

              Liptow--Michigan, Canada, Wisconsin

              Chrazanowski--Poland, Michigan

              At the moment, I have 4 brickwalls that I really could have some help with. I don't have full access to any of the pay sites.

              1) William Riggin b-abt 1688, Lancaster, Virginia d-unk
              married to Elizabeth Bridget abt 1713, Virginia
              Children:
              Elizabeth,John, William Powell,Kizziah, Bridget and Winniford.
              NOTE:
              My problem with this family, I can't find anything on William and Elizabeth.

              2) Ivar K Sandberg b-7/22/1882, Meloy, Helgeland, Norway d-1973, Minnesota
              married to Marion Berrum on Oct 4, 1917, Wisconsin
              They had 2 daughters and 3 sons.
              His parents are Anton P Kruger/Anton Pareli Glad Pederson/Anton Parelie and Anne/Ane Isaacson.
              NOTE:
              I'm trying to find any paper trail of Ivar between 1882-1902 and I would like to find anything regarding his parents. I know that Ivar had a sister, Pedra Antondatter. Ivar was also known as Iver Sandberg Antonsen.

              3) Edmond Courtney b-1832, County Kerry, Ireland d-12/19/1911, Janesville, Rock, Wisconsin, USA
              married Mary Madigan before 1850, New Hampshire (according to his obit)
              They had 6 children.
              NOTE:
              I can't find anything on him before 1860. He and his family, 3 children, were living in Afton, Rock, Wisconsin in 1860. According to this Census Record, the 2 oldest children were born in New York and the 3rd was born in Wisconsin. According to his obit, they moved to Afton in 1850 but there's no Census Record of them living there.

              4) Mieczyalas "John" Chrazanowski b-6/14/1888, German Poland d-9/28/1932, Alpena, Alpena, Michigan
              married Catherine Przeslawski, 10/18/1909, Alpena, Alpena, Michigan
              b-10/31/1891, Alpena, Alpena, Michigan
              d-6/4/1975, Alpena, Alpena, Michigan
              They had 6 children.
              NOTE:
              I can't find anything on Mieczyalas before 1909. I also can't find out who his parents are. I did contact the cemetery and they haven't gotten back to me!
            • Gene Bremer
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 6, 2012
                Welcome Ann! Good luck with everything

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 7, 2012
                  On 3/5/2012 10:52 PM, Ann wrote:
                  > 2) Ivar K Sandberg b-7/22/1882, Meloy, Helgeland, Norway d-1973,
                  > Minnesota married to Marion Berrum on Oct 4, 1917, Wisconsin They had
                  > 2 daughters and 3 sons. His parents are Anton P Kruger/Anton Pareli
                  > Glad Pederson/Anton Parelie and Anne/Ane Isaacson.

                  NOTE: I'm trying
                  > to find any paper trail of Ivar between 1882-1902 and I would like to
                  > find anything regarding his parents. I know that Ivar had a sister,
                  > Pedra Antondatter. Ivar was also known as Iver Sandberg Antonsen.

                  What are the sources for your information?

                  When making an inquiry give all the applicable info you know like where
                  they were married, Town and County.

                  From Familysearch.org this may be he:

                  New York Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island), 1892-1924 f
                  Surname: Sandberg
                  Last Place of Residence: New York, America
                  Date of Arrival: 08 Apr 1914
                  Age at Arrival: 24y
                  Ethnicity: Sweden
                  Port of Departure: Christiania
                  Port of Arrival: New York
                  Gender: Male
                  Marital Status: S
                  US Citizen:
                  Ship of Travel: Frederik VIII

                  The more I look the less I think that the above is your Ivor; he could
                  have entered the USA though another port besides NY; Boston,
                  Philadelphia and Baltimore are probabilities; or even through Canada.

                  However FS does not show an Ivor Sandb* in the 1900 or 1910 Census in
                  NY that matches the PAR.

                  You can also look for his arrival in the Ellis island Data base through
                  http://www.stevemorse.org/ and look at the manifest image.
                  I looked for Ivar arriving in 1914 Norwegian

                  He and Marion and daughter Anna are in the 1920 Census:

                  United States Census, 1920 for
                  Name: Marion Sandberg
                  Residence: , Grant, Minnesota
                  Estimated Birth Year: 1888
                  Age: 32
                  Birthplace: Minnesota
                  Relationship to Head of Household: Wife
                  Gender: Female
                  Race: White
                  Marital Status: Married
                  Father's Birthplace:
                  Mother's Birthplace:
                  Film Number: 1820826
                  Digital Folder Number: 4312174
                  Image Number: 00956
                  Sheet Number: 7
                  Household Gender Age
                  Spouse Ivar Sandberg M 35y
                  Marion Sandberg F 32y
                  Child Anna E Sandberg F 7m

                  and in 1930

                  bob gillis
                • Trish
                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 8, 2012
                    if you know the name of the cemetery and you type it in to google you might could pull up the cemetery listing of names who is buried there if that helps i think cyndis list also has cemetery listing's on her page

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 11, 2012
                      My sources of information are a photo copy of Church Records for Ivar's birth and confirmation in Norway, Luther College in Iowa and a photo copy of some kind of imargration which Ivar came to America on 5/30/1900. The photo copies are all in Noregen (sp?). I personally talked to people at Lurther College to get information from them. He started at Luther College in 1904. I also know that he went to Farmer's College in Mpls, Minnesota before he went to Lurther College, according to his obit. I can't find anything on him between 1897-1900 (in Norway) and 1900 to 1904 (in America) other than the photo copy of immagration. I think that I can read on the photo copy of imagration  that he might of gone to Belegrade, Minnesota. I have never heard of that town. I'm not even sure if he went there or not.
                      As for his parents and sister, I can't find them any where elce other than what is listed above and a 1875 Census of Rodoy, Norway, which lists his parents and his sister.

                      Ann

                      > 2) Ivar K Sandberg b-7/22/1882, Meloy, Helgeland, Norway d-1973,
                      > Minnesota married to Marion Berrum on Oct 4, 1917, Wisconsin They had
                      > 2 daughters and 3 sons. His parents are Anton P Kruger/Anton Pareli
                      > Glad Pederson/Anton Parelie and Anne/Ane Isaacson.

                      NOTE: I'm trying
                      > to find any paper trail of Ivar between 1882-1902 and I would like to
                      > find anything regarding his parents. I know that Ivar had a sister,
                      > Pedra Antondatter. Ivar was also known as Iver Sandberg Antonsen.

                      What are the sources for your information?

                      When making an inquiry give all the applicable info you know like where
                      they were married, Town and County.

                      From Familysearch.org this may be he:

                      New York Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island), 1892-1924 f
                      Surname: Sandberg
                      Last Place of Residence: New York, America
                      Date of Arrival: 08 Apr 1914
[...]

                    • Bloodhound; Kermit
                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 3 11:09 PM
                        I presume that you already have these,
                        but I like to check the sources for myself -
                        sometimes I see something that leads to something else -

                        Minnesota Death Index, 1908-2002
                        Name: Ivar Kruger Sandberg
                        Birth Date: 22 Jul 1882
                        Death Date: 10 Oct 1973
                        Death County: Grant
                        Mother's Maiden Name: Isaacson
                        State File Number: 025743
                        Certificate Number: 025743
                        Certificate Year: 1973
                        Record Number: 1894985
                        NOTE: similar info in the Social Security Death Index

                        1930 Lien, Grant, Minnesota
                        Sandberg, Ivar/47:Norway/imm:1900, Marion/42:MN:Nor:Nor,
                        (), Anna/10, Dorothea/9, Gerhard/8, John/6, Paul/4

                        1920 Barrett, Grant, Minnesota
                        Sandberg, Ivar/35:Norway/imm:1899, Marion/32:MN:Nor:WI, Anna E/7m

                        Name: Rev. Ivar Sandberg
                        Location: Barrett, Grant, Minnesota
                        Birth Date: 22 Jul 1882 (naturalized citizen)
                        Occupation: Minister of the Gospel
                        Nearest Relative: Mrs. Rev. Ivar Sandberg

                        U.S. Passport Applications, 1795-1925
                        Name: Ivar Sandberg
                        Birth Date: 22 Jul 1882
                        Birth Place: Grono, Norway
                        Age: 37
                        Residence: Barrett, Minn
                        Passport Issue Date: 25 Jun 1920
                        Father Name: Anton Parelie
                        Father's Birth Location: Norway
                        Father's Residence: Deceased
                        Passport Includes a Photo: Yes
                        NOTE: passport for his trip back to Norway to see his mother

                        U.S. Naturalization Record Indexes, 1791-1992
                        Name: Ivar Sandberg
                        Birth Date: 22 Jul 1882
                        Birth Place: Norway
                        Age at event: 26
                        Court District: Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, Iowa
                        Date of Action: 20 Apr 1909
                        Location of Court: Dist. Winneshiek Co. Decorah, Ia. [IOWA]

                        This looks like him in 1910 - going to school? -
                        1910 Decorah Ward 5, Winneshiek, Iowa
                        location: Luther College
                        Sandberg, Iver, head 27 single born Norway imm:1900 naturalized
                        Add Ekfeler 23, Marie E Morus 38, Emma F Boalsen 22,
                        Sigrid Koel 20, Sofie M Bupaker 16, Marie Koele 20,
                        Elma Bersager 18

                        This might be his immigration record -
                        Name: Iver Sandbeck
                        Arrival Date: 18 Mar 1899
                        Birth Year: abt 1882
                        Age: 17
                        Gender: Male
                        Ethnicity/Race/Nationality: Norwegian
                        Port of Departure: Liverpool, England - 11 Mar 1899
                        Port of Arrival: New York, New York
                        Ship Name: Campania
                        NOTES: line 22
                        last residence: Christiania
                        destination: Minneapolis Min.
                        <http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&rank=0&f8=iv*R&f10=&sx=&rg_f46__date=1882&rs_f46__date=5&f14=&f72=&f74=&f97=&f70=&f24=norw*&rg_f86__date=1900&rs_f86__date=1&gskw=&prox=1&db=nypl&ti=0&ti.si=0&gss=angs-d&pcat=40&fh=48&h=4009536600&recoff=8>

                        Same information & images is also available FREE at EllisIsland.org
                        <http://ellisisland.org/search/matchMore.asp?FNM=IVER&LNM=SANDBECK&PLNM=SANDBECK&CGD=M&bSYR=1881&bEYR=1883&first_kind=1&kind=exact&offset=0&dwpdone=1>

                        This is his RETURN from his trip to see his mother -
                        New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
                        Name: Ivar Sandberg
                        Arrival Date: 7 Sep 1920
                        Birth Year: abt 1882
                        Age: 38
                        Gender: Male
                        Port of Departure: Christiania
                        Port of Arrival: New York, New York
                        Ship Name: Stavangerfjord
                        <http://ellisisland.org/search/matchMore.asp?FNM=IVAR&LNM=SANDBERG&PLNM=SANDBERG&CGD=M&bSYR=1881&bEYR=1883&first_kind=1&kind=exact&offset=0&dwpdone=1>

                        wife MARION BERRUM and children have entries in book
                        "Genealogies of the Lomen [Ringstad], Brandt and Joys families"
                        http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=11975&enc=1
                        m. Ivar Kruger Sandberg son of Anton Pareli Kruger of Bodø, Norway

                        If indeed his emigration was in 1899,
                        then he should be in the 1900 U.S. census somewhere.
                        Maybe as SANDBECK instead of SANDBERG?

                        For his family back in Norway -
                        have you checked "Cemeteries in Norway"?
                        http://www.disnorge.no/gravminner/index.php?language=engelsk
                        Maybe look for location Bodø, Nordland, Norway ?
                        (this database is also searchable through Ancestry.com)

                        - Tom Knox

                        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Ann Courtney <kris_rigg@...> wrote:

                        > My sources of information are a photo copy of Church Records for Ivar's birth and confirmation in Norway, Luther College in Iowa and a photo copy of some kind of imargration which Ivar came to America on 5/30/1900. The photo copies are all in Noregen (sp?). I personally talked to people at Lurther College to get information from them. He started at Luther College in 1904. I also know that he went to Farmer's College in Mpls, Minnesota before he went to Lurther College, according to his obit. I can't find anything on him between 1897-1900 (in Norway) and 1900 to 1904 (in America) other than the photo copy of immagration. I think that I can read on the photo copy of imagration  that he might of gone to Belegrade, Minnesota. I have never heard of that town. I'm not even sure if he went there or not.
                        > As for his parents and sister, I can't find them any where elce other than what is listed above and a 1875 Census of Rodoy, Norway, which lists his parents and his sister.
                        > Ann

                      • Bloodhound; Kermit
                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 3 11:41 PM
                          > he might of gone to Belegrade, Minnesota

                          There is a BELGRADE Minnesota - in Stearns County -
                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgrade,_Minnesota
                          Stearns County includes St. Cloud
                          http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~mngenweb/countymaps.htm

                          Rev Ivar Kruger Sandberg (1882-1973)
                          http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=42002614

                          Have you searched the 1900 Norway census?
                          http://www.rhd.uit.no/folketellinger/folketellinger_e.aspx
                          look at Province of Nordland ?
                          Also 1910 census available

                          - Tom Knox

                          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Ann Courtney <kris_rigg@...> wrote:

                          > My sources of information are a photo copy of Church Records for Ivar's birth and confirmation in Norway, Luther College in Iowa and a photo copy of some kind of imargration which Ivar came to America on 5/30/1900. The photo copies are all in Noregen (sp?). I personally talked to people at Lurther College to get information from them. He started at Luther College in 1904. I also know that he went to Farmer's College in Mpls, Minnesota before he went to Lurther College, according to his obit. I can't find anything on him between 1897-1900 (in Norway) and 1900 to 1904 (in America) other than the photo copy of immagration. I think that I can read on the photo copy of imagration  that he might of gone to Belegrade, Minnesota. I have never heard of that town. I'm not even sure if he went there or not.
                          > As for his parents and sister, I can't find them any where elce other than what is listed above and a 1875 Census of Rodoy, Norway, which lists his parents and his sister.
                          > Ann

                        • bob gillis
                          Message 12 of 20 , Apr 4 1:50 PM
                            On 3/12/2012 12:42 AM, Ann Courtney wrote:
                            > My sources of information are a photo copy of Church Records for
                            > Ivar's birth and confirmation in Norway, Luther College in Iowa and
                            > a photo copy of some kind of immigration which Ivar came to America
                            > on 5/30/1900.The photo copies are all in Noregen, (sp?) [why not use
                            > Norwegian ].

                            I do not know what document you have a copy of but the Passenger
                            Arrivals List for the USA are in English. I did find using Steve Morse's
                            site at http://www.stevemorse.org/:

                            First Name: Iver
                            Last Name: Sandbeck
                            Ethnicity: Norway, Norwegian
                            Last Place of Residence: Christiania
                            Date of Arrival: Mar 18, 1899
                            Age at Arrival: 17y Gender: M Marital Status: S
                            Ship of Travel: Campania
                            Port of Departure: Liverpool
                            Manifest Line Number: 0022
                            He was going to Minneapolis, MN

                            Is this your Ivor

                            > I personally talked to people at Luther College to get information
                            > from them. He started at Luther College in 1904. I also know that he
                            > went to Farmer's College in Minneapolis Minnesota before he went to
                            > Luther College, according to his obit. I can't find anything on him
                            > between 1897-1900 (in Norway) and 1900 to 1904 (in America) other
                            > than the photo copy of immigration. I think that I can read on the
                            > photo copy of immigration that he might of gone to Belegrade,
                            > Minnesota. I have never heard of that town. I'm not even sure if he
                            > went there or not.

                            Belgrade MN is about 21 miles SSW of Sauk Center in Stearns County on\m
                            Route US 71

                            There are no US Federal records between the 1900 and 1910 Census. There
                            is a 1905 MN Census which you can search on familysearch.org.

                            Search and Browse the NOR-NORDLAND list on rootsweb.

                            > As for his parents and sister, I can't find them any where else
                            > other than what is listed above and a 1875 Census of Rodoy, Norway,
                            > which lists his parents and his sister.

                            Probably his parents and sister did not emigrate.

                            > On 3/5/2012 10:52 PM, Ann wrote:
                            >> 2) Ivar K Sandberg b-7/22/1882, Meloy, Helgeland, Norway d-1973,
                            >> Minnesota married to Marion Berrum on Oct 4, 1917, Wisconsin They
                            >> had 2 daughters and 3 sons. His parents are Anton P Kruger/Anton
                            >> Pareli Glad Pederson/Anton Parelie and Anne/Ane Isaacson.
                            >
                            > NOTE: I'm trying
                            >> to find any paper trail of Ivar between 1882-1902 and I would like
                            >> to find anything regarding his parents. I know that Ivar had a
                            >> sister, Pedra Antondatter. Ivar was also known as Iver Sandberg
                            >> Antonsen.

                            Norway baptisms, marriages and burials are on FS.

                            bob gillis