Re:Wesley Callahan Weddle

  • Peakcat@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 31, 2009
      Frances:

      You don't indicate if your husband's grandparents (his mother's parents)
      were born here in the U.S. If they were you might try going back further than
      the 1900 census to see what you can find. If not you might want to see if
      you can find any information (Ancestry.com or Rootsweb.com) indicating
      where they originally came from and if Wesley Callahan Weddle was on an
      emigration ship with them from another country. Does you husband know if his
      grandparents were born Americans?

      Good luck and good hunting

      Ina Getzoff
      _Peakcat@..._ (mailto:Peakcat@...)

    • Frances Russell
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 1, 2010
        Ina wrote:
        "You don't indicate if your husband's grandparents (his mother's parents)
        were born here in the U.S. If they were you might try going back further than
        the 1900 census to see what you can find. If not you might want to see if
        you can find any information (Ancestry.com or Rootsweb.com) indicating
        where they originally came from and if Wesley Callahan Weddle was on an
        emigration ship with them from another country. Does you husband know if his grandparents were born Americans?
        Good luck and good hunting
        Ina Getzoff "

        My Reply:

        What I know about Wesley Callahan Weddle's father was in my original post, which is nothing. However pertinent to Myrtle's father on the 1900 Census is that her record states that her father was born in Missouri. I have found Weddles in Missouri, but not Wesley Callahan. His name is what she remembered. I don't have any proof that his name was Wesley Callahan Weddle, only Myrtle's recollection. I have never found him on another family tree, other than those who got their information from mine.

        One error I made in my first inquiry was the name of the man to whom Nancy was married in 1900. His name was W E Wall(s)m not Waits, also not significant to this discussion, except to clarify who was on the 1900 census with Myrtle.

        Her mother, Nancy Jane Collins, was born in Lodi, Montgomery Mississippi, to Callaway Collins, also born in Lodi Montgomery, Mississippi (according to records) and Rhoda McQuire/McGuire, born in Alabama (I have found records with Rhoda's surname spelled both ways).

        Callaway Collins' parents were William Wainwright Collins and Elizabeth Blaylock.

        I have posted queries on Ancestry/Roots Web boards, including the Weddle board with no luck, although someone has been kind enough to respond to my queries indicating they have no information.

        Before Nancy was married to Wesley Callahan Weddle, she was married to a William Sam Petty. Nancy's son William Samuel (Sam) Petty was listed on the 1900 (Nocona, Montague, Texas) census with birthdate of 1882 along with Myrtle Weddle, Nancy Walls and and her third husband W. E. Walls.

        I found Nancy and some of her siblings listed with her widowed mother on the Griggs, Van Buren, Arkansas 1880 US census. Her marriage to William Samuel Petty would have been between the date of the 1880 census and 1882.

        In 1985 there was a Russell Family reunion. One of Myrtle's grandsons and his wife had, with Myrtle's input and some research, made a family tree that covered three pieces of posterboard. Her father's name is listed as Wesley Callahan Weddle and there is another branch labeled only "Weddle" with a notation "Brothers in the Civil War" and listed near some of her other cousins was a branch of Weddle Cousins: 2 unknown girls and blank which must have been an unknown male, because it branched from there and listed the name Royce Weddle.

        I have been corresponding with my sister-in-law, widow of my husband's late brother, asking if she had ever heard our mother-in-law talk about what she knew of her father. We are both regretting that we have no more information about him. She did suggest that I broaden my search to include Oklahoma; however that search yielded nothing. What was known about him died with her.

        Her mother, Nancy Jane Collins, was born in Lodi, Montgomery Mississippi, to Callaway Collins, also born in Lodi Montgomery, Mississippi (according to records) and Rhoda McQuire/McGuire, born in Alabama (I have found records with Rhoda's surname spelled both ways).

        Callaway Collins' parents were William Wainwright Collins and Elizabeth Blaylock.

        I find a Thomas Collins a few generations further back supposedly born in England. Of course most of the early generations' information is what I have found on family trees already on Ancestry, most with no documentation. I have corresponded with a Collins descendant and she knows more about her own lineage than Nancy Jane's, but we do agree on where Nancy's parents were born.

        I realize I'm asking a lot, but I felt that someone with more genealogy experience than I, might be able to find some clues to Myrtle's father. I have wondered if he ever really existed or whether he misled Nancy.

        I remember Myrtle telling me about her mother's death at about age 7-8 and her funeral and how she wondered what was going to happen to her now that her mother was gone and with no father. She was taken to live with her uncle, George Washington Collins and his family with whom she lived until she met and married my husband's father at age 17.

        Thank you,
        Frances Russell