New Here

  • Lora
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 28, 2009
      Good Morning Everyone,
      I just joined the group about a week ago and then left for vacation. I am completely 'green' to geneaology but my sister and I want to research our dads family. There are LOTS of gaps in info that we have received and we aren't even sure if it is correct. I did search on Ancestry and found him there, as well as my aunt who is supposed to be his twin sister. I have some very basic info and we are also awaiting his birth certificate. We only know his mothers maiden name. I guess what I need is a place to start. I have absolutely no clue and for someone just starting out you can imagine how frustrated I am when I search and get no where. Thanks for any guidance.

      Lora
    • Robert Bonney
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 28, 2009
        Lora
            You would do well to start with yourself and work backwards to your folks and grand parents and great gran parents etc. Verify as many and as much of the data as possible meaning dates , places spelling etc.  LDL chauch and Ancestry are a good place to start they have billions of records that can be accesed online.

        Hope this helps Bob

        ________________________________
        I just joined the group about a week ago and then left for vacation. I am completely 'green' to geneaology but my sister and I want to research our dads family. There are LOTS of gaps in info that we have received and we aren't even sure if it is correct. I did search on Ancestry and found him there, as well as my aunt who is supposed to be his twin sister. I have some very basic info and we are also awaiting his birth certificate. We only know his mothers maiden name. I guess what I need is a place to start. I have absolutely no clue and for someone just starting out you can imagine how frustrated I am when I search and get no where. Thanks for any guidance.

        Lora

      • Tina Paxton
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 28, 2009
          Lora asked: I am completely 'green' to geneaology but my sister and I want
          to research our dads family. There are LOTS of gaps in info that we have
          received and we aren't even sure if it is correct. I did search on Ancestry
          and found him there, as well as my aunt who is supposed to be his twin
          sister. I have some very basic info and we are also awaiting his birth
          certificate. We only know his mothers maiden name. I guess what I need is a
          place to start. I have absolutely no clue and for someone just starting out
          you can imagine how frustrated I am when I search and get no where. Thanks
          for any guidance.

          My reply: I've worked on my family history (paternal and maternal) for 15-20
          years, off and on. It has been a slow process with lots of brick walls. Even
          with all the online search engines, you are unlikely to find everything laid
          out in a nice neat family tree (and even if you do, you'll want to verify
          the information). You start with what you know and work from there. When I
          started, I didn't even know all four grandparents so I had to get that.
          Then, their vital statistics. and just keep working backwards. It means
          finding/ordering birth certificates, death certificates, marriage licenses.
          (I broke through one brick wall when I found the ancestor's homestead claim
          which included his naturalization papers). Once you get to where you can
          look on census records, you do look-ups on the census records. If you are
          totally "green" to genealogy, I would highly recommend taking a class - your
          local community college probably one in their "continuing education/adult
          education" roster. The other recommendation is: interview your elder family
          members before it is too late! Pick their brain(s) for all the family
          history they have in their heads and all the family stories..don't wait as
          you may miss out on a great resource!

          Tina

          Searching: Paxton, Ent, Porter, Ryals (and others)

        • Lora Hall
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 29, 2009
            Thanks Bob,
            The info that I have for my dad is so sketchy that I think I will wait for
            his birth certificate. I don't even have his dads name and I only have his
            mothers maiden name, nothing more. Since he was born in 1931 there aren't
            any census records or at least that was what I was told. I will start with
            what I know and just go from there. Thanks so much for the advice.

            On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 1:07 PM, Robert Bonney <rbonney73@...> wrote:

            > Lora
            > You would do well to start with yourself and work backwards to your
            > folks and grand parents and great gran parents etc. Verify as many and as
            > much of the data as possible meaning dates , places spelling etc. LDL
            > chauch and Ancestry are a good place to start they have billions of records
            > that can be accesed online.
            >
            > Hope this helps Bob
            >
            > ________________________________

            Lora
            Helping Humanity
            http://fortheloveofhumanity.webs.com
            Zibbet! Zibbet!
            http://www.zibbet.com/SimmonsCreek
            Simmons Creek Trading Post
            http://simmonscreek.artfire.com

          • Judy Ardine
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 29, 2009
              Ancestry, etc. are good places to get clues - but - actual birth
              certificates, marriage certificates, death certificates, etc. are the
              definitive records, at least for your direct ancestors. It isn't always
              necessary to go to that expense for siblings of direct ancestors, but
              sometimes the need arises to go w/spending the money on theirs as well.
              Church records, obituaries are another valuable resource, but not
              necessarily all that accurate. And once you get back a few generations land
              records and wills and estates become much the choice and primary resources.
              I had a link most of us knew but couldn't prove for years until I stumbled
              onto an 1804 law suit that led me to a 1770 land record that led to the
              definitive 1797 land record.
            • Lora Hall
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 30, 2009
                Hi Judy and Tina,
                Thank you for your responses. I think that it is going to be very difficult
                but I also don't give up very easily. Tina, I'm afraid it IS too late for
                interviews. There aren't any family members left on my dads side, at least
                that I know of. We have one cousin who is about 60 now and we are trying to
                locate contact info for him. No luck so far. My Dad supposedly came from a
                family of 16 kids. None of my family went to church at least as far back as
                I can remember. I have my Dads obit but there is nothing of great value in
                there either. Also, I live in a very rural town and there are no community
                colleges even remotely close that I could take a class from. That's why I
                join groups! If I need to know something, I can usually find a group for
                it! LOL I'm just going to have to sit down and start with what I know and
                go from there until I get his birth certificate. Thank you so much for all
                of your helpful advice. I'm sure I will have more questions as I go.

                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 30, 2009
                  Lora responded: Thank you for your responses. I think that it is going to be
[...]

                  My response: Well, it sounds like you are going to have an adventurous
                  journey of discovery! The obit didn't say much, do you have his death
                  certificate? It may provide information that can lead you back to the birth
                  certificate. Did he have any brushes with the law? Buy or sell real estate?
                  Serve in the military? Do you have any information on the other siblings?
                  Sometimes, we can find our own ancestor by tracking kin. One warning: don't
                  trust other people's genealogical work on your family-verify everything.
                  I've run across several incidences where someone else made a connection
                  between two people where no such connection existed. Always verify with the
                  best primary evidence you can find and two or more pieces of primary
                  evidence is even better.

                  Happy hunting and don't give up! Brick walls can be breached!

                  Tina

                • Glennis Kowalski
                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 30, 2009
                    Hi Lora, Have you tried posting on the state broads where your family members come from or may have lived? sometimes that helps and it also may take a long time to get an a reply but keep tryng. The LDS Chruch has alot of info but check it as they dont always have the facts right. when ordering any brith/death/marrage records check with the county first then the state it may save you time and money.I hope this helps. Glennis

                    On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 8:52 AM, Judy Ardine <downeast@concentric .net>wrote:

                    > Ancestry, etc. are good places to get clues - but - actual birth
                    > certificates, marriage certificates, death certificates, etc. are the
                    > definitive records, at least for your direct ancestors. It isn't always
                    > necessary to go to that expense for siblings of direct ancestors, but
                    > sometimes the need arises to go w/spending the money on theirs as well.
                    > Church records, obituaries are another valuable resource, but not
                    > necessarily all that accurate. And once you get back a few generations land
                    >
                    > records and wills and estates become much the choice and primary resources.
                    >
                    > I had a link most of us knew but couldn't prove for years until I stumbled
                    > onto an 1804 law suit that led me to a 1770 land record that led to the
                    > definitive 1797 land record.

                    --
                    Lora
                    Helping Humanity
                    http://fortheloveof humanity. webs.com
                    Zibbet! Zibbet!
                    http://www.zibbet. com/SimmonsCreek
                    Simmons Creek Trading Post
                    http://simmonscreek .artfire. com

                  • sue chilberg
                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 31, 2009
                      Do you have a LDS church around you? A lot of them have a family research
                      center that you can go to>You don't have to be a Mormon to go to them they
                      are open to everyone and the volunteers there are very helpful.You can acess
                      Ancestry,com and I believe footnote.com at them, also you can rent microfilm
                      of records etc., that the church has copied. Also the LDS c hurch holds a
                      twice yearly "genealogy conference" at a lot of the churches on a Saturday,
                      They have a lot of different classes that you can attend from beginner to
                      expert, again you don't have to be a church member to attend. Here in Idaho
                      the fee is $9 for all day. I have been to them and have learned alot,I am
                      not LDS. Go to:
                      www.familysearch.org
                      This is the website for the church, they have a search box that you can look
                      and see if there is a family history library in your area. Also you can
                      contact them and see if they have any genealogy conferences in your area.
                      Also on the website check out the site map at bottom of page, there are
                      articles on gettibg started atc. under research helps and library tabs there
                      are also a lot of articles to help you get started.
                      Also check out www.rootsweb.com
                      and sign up for the Gen- Newbie list. There are a lot of helpful people on
                      that list. and also at rootsweb there are name lists,state lists,city lists
                      and boards.
                      Good luck in your research.

                    • Lora Hall
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 1, 2010
                        Thanks so much for the info. Yes, I have an LDS church close by as well as
                        a genealogical society of some sort I believe. Never paid that much
                        attention to it as I drove by! But I will now! I always thought that it
                        was just for Mormons though. Thank you for the links, I will check them
                        out. I've been working on this all day with my sister via the computer and
                        my brain is just about mush, but we did find a little bit of info. Just
                        enough to say I am beyond hooked now. Thanks again everyone! I sure
                        appreciate the help!

                        Message 11 of 20 , Jan 1, 2010
                          Lora commented: but we did find a little bit of info. Just
                          enough to say I am beyond hooked now. Thanks again everyone! I sure
                          appreciate the help!

                          My response: Oh, dear! You have contracted the genealogical virus! There is
                          no cure, I'm afraid.

                          Tina Paxton

                          Surnames: Paxton, Ent, Porter, Ryals..and others..

                        • Lora Hall
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jan 2, 2010
                            LOL, well, it's bitten HARD! My sister and I are bouncing off the walls!
                            Our brains are mush at the end of the day and it is just the best feeling.
                            We went from 'nothing but stories' to finding actual facts about our
                            family. Incredible, just incredible!

                            On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 5:49 PM, Tina Paxton <Frecs@...> wrote:

                            > Lora commented: but we did find a little bit of info. Just
                            >
                            > enough to say I am beyond hooked now. Thanks again everyone! I sure
                            > appreciate the help!
                            >
                            > My response: Oh, dear! You have contracted the genealogical virus! There is
                            > no cure, I'm afraid.
                            >
                            > Tina Paxton
                            >
                            > Surnames: Paxton, Ent, Porter, Ryals..and others..

                            Lora
                            Helping Humanity
                            http://fortheloveofhumanity.webs.com
                            Zibbet! Zibbet!
                            http://www.zibbet.com/SimmonsCreek
                            Simmons Creek Trading Post
                            http://simmonscreek.artfire.com

                          • Ann
                            Message 13 of 20 , Mar 5, 2012
                              I'd like to thank you for letting me join your group. I hope that you can help me with my brickwalls. My name is Ann Courtney. I have been doing genealogy for about 10 years now. I'm researching many lines and these are the main ones that I have been working on:

                              Riggin/Riggins--Ireland, Virginia, Kentucky, Illinois, Wisconsin

                              Sandberg--Norway, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin

                              Fielman--Germany, Wisconsin

                              Prevo/Prevost--France, Canada, Michigan

                              Courtney--Ireland, Wisconsin

                              Liptow--Michigan, Canada, Wisconsin

                              Chrazanowski--Poland, Michigan

                              At the moment, I have 4 brickwalls that I really could have some help with. I don't have full access to any of the pay sites.

                              1) William Riggin b-abt 1688, Lancaster, Virginia d-unk
                              married to Elizabeth Bridget abt 1713, Virginia
                              Children:
                              Elizabeth,John, William Powell,Kizziah, Bridget and Winniford.
                              NOTE:
                              My problem with this family, I can't find anything on William and Elizabeth.

                              2) Ivar K Sandberg b-7/22/1882, Meloy, Helgeland, Norway d-1973, Minnesota
                              married to Marion Berrum on Oct 4, 1917, Wisconsin
                              They had 2 daughters and 3 sons.
                              His parents are Anton P Kruger/Anton Pareli Glad Pederson/Anton Parelie and Anne/Ane Isaacson.
                              NOTE:
                              I'm trying to find any paper trail of Ivar between 1882-1902 and I would like to find anything regarding his parents. I know that Ivar had a sister, Pedra Antondatter. Ivar was also known as Iver Sandberg Antonsen.

                              3) Edmond Courtney b-1832, County Kerry, Ireland d-12/19/1911, Janesville, Rock, Wisconsin, USA
                              married Mary Madigan before 1850, New Hampshire (according to his obit)
                              They had 6 children.
                              NOTE:
                              I can't find anything on him before 1860. He and his family, 3 children, were living in Afton, Rock, Wisconsin in 1860. According to this Census Record, the 2 oldest children were born in New York and the 3rd was born in Wisconsin. According to his obit, they moved to Afton in 1850 but there's no Census Record of them living there.

                              4) Mieczyalas "John" Chrazanowski b-6/14/1888, German Poland d-9/28/1932, Alpena, Alpena, Michigan
                              married Catherine Przeslawski, 10/18/1909, Alpena, Alpena, Michigan
                              b-10/31/1891, Alpena, Alpena, Michigan
                              d-6/4/1975, Alpena, Alpena, Michigan
                              They had 6 children.
                              NOTE:
                              I can't find anything on Mieczyalas before 1909. I also can't find out who his parents are. I did contact the cemetery and they haven't gotten back to me!
                            • Gene Bremer
                              Message 14 of 20 , Mar 6, 2012
                                Welcome Ann! Good luck with everything

                                ________________________________

                                Message 15 of 20 , Mar 7, 2012
                                  On 3/5/2012 10:52 PM, Ann wrote:
                                  > 2) Ivar K Sandberg b-7/22/1882, Meloy, Helgeland, Norway d-1973,
                                  > Minnesota married to Marion Berrum on Oct 4, 1917, Wisconsin They had
                                  > 2 daughters and 3 sons. His parents are Anton P Kruger/Anton Pareli
                                  > Glad Pederson/Anton Parelie and Anne/Ane Isaacson.

                                  NOTE: I'm trying
                                  > to find any paper trail of Ivar between 1882-1902 and I would like to
                                  > find anything regarding his parents. I know that Ivar had a sister,
                                  > Pedra Antondatter. Ivar was also known as Iver Sandberg Antonsen.

                                  What are the sources for your information?

                                  When making an inquiry give all the applicable info you know like where
                                  they were married, Town and County.

                                  From Familysearch.org this may be he:

                                  New York Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island), 1892-1924 f
                                  Surname: Sandberg
                                  Last Place of Residence: New York, America
                                  Date of Arrival: 08 Apr 1914
                                  Age at Arrival: 24y
                                  Ethnicity: Sweden
                                  Port of Departure: Christiania
                                  Port of Arrival: New York
                                  Gender: Male
                                  Marital Status: S
                                  US Citizen:
                                  Ship of Travel: Frederik VIII

                                  The more I look the less I think that the above is your Ivor; he could
                                  have entered the USA though another port besides NY; Boston,
                                  Philadelphia and Baltimore are probabilities; or even through Canada.

                                  However FS does not show an Ivor Sandb* in the 1900 or 1910 Census in
                                  NY that matches the PAR.

                                  You can also look for his arrival in the Ellis island Data base through
                                  http://www.stevemorse.org/ and look at the manifest image.
                                  I looked for Ivar arriving in 1914 Norwegian

                                  He and Marion and daughter Anna are in the 1920 Census:

                                  United States Census, 1920 for
                                  Name: Marion Sandberg
                                  Residence: , Grant, Minnesota
                                  Estimated Birth Year: 1888
                                  Age: 32
                                  Birthplace: Minnesota
                                  Relationship to Head of Household: Wife
                                  Gender: Female
                                  Race: White
                                  Marital Status: Married
                                  Father's Birthplace:
                                  Mother's Birthplace:
                                  Film Number: 1820826
                                  Digital Folder Number: 4312174
                                  Image Number: 00956
                                  Sheet Number: 7
                                  Household Gender Age
                                  Spouse Ivar Sandberg M 35y
                                  Marion Sandberg F 32y
                                  Child Anna E Sandberg F 7m

                                  and in 1930

                                  bob gillis
                                • Trish
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Mar 8, 2012
                                    if you know the name of the cemetery and you type it in to google you might could pull up the cemetery listing of names who is buried there if that helps i think cyndis list also has cemetery listing's on her page

                                    ________________________________

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Mar 11, 2012
                                      My sources of information are a photo copy of Church Records for Ivar's birth and confirmation in Norway, Luther College in Iowa and a photo copy of some kind of imargration which Ivar came to America on 5/30/1900. The photo copies are all in Noregen (sp?). I personally talked to people at Lurther College to get information from them. He started at Luther College in 1904. I also know that he went to Farmer's College in Mpls, Minnesota before he went to Lurther College, according to his obit. I can't find anything on him between 1897-1900 (in Norway) and 1900 to 1904 (in America) other than the photo copy of immagration. I think that I can read on the photo copy of imagration  that he might of gone to Belegrade, Minnesota. I have never heard of that town. I'm not even sure if he went there or not.
                                      As for his parents and sister, I can't find them any where elce other than what is listed above and a 1875 Census of Rodoy, Norway, which lists his parents and his sister.

                                      Ann

                                      > 2) Ivar K Sandberg b-7/22/1882, Meloy, Helgeland, Norway d-1973,
                                      > Minnesota married to Marion Berrum on Oct 4, 1917, Wisconsin They had
                                      > 2 daughters and 3 sons. His parents are Anton P Kruger/Anton Pareli
                                      > Glad Pederson/Anton Parelie and Anne/Ane Isaacson.

                                      NOTE: I'm trying
                                      > to find any paper trail of Ivar between 1882-1902 and I would like to
                                      > find anything regarding his parents. I know that Ivar had a sister,
                                      > Pedra Antondatter. Ivar was also known as Iver Sandberg Antonsen.

                                      What are the sources for your information?

                                      When making an inquiry give all the applicable info you know like where
                                      they were married, Town and County.

                                      From Familysearch.org this may be he:

                                      New York Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island), 1892-1924 f
                                      Surname: Sandberg
                                      Last Place of Residence: New York, America
                                      Date of Arrival: 08 Apr 1914
[...]

                                    • Bloodhound; Kermit
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Apr 3, 2012
                                        I presume that you already have these,
                                        but I like to check the sources for myself -
                                        sometimes I see something that leads to something else -

                                        Minnesota Death Index, 1908-2002
                                        Name: Ivar Kruger Sandberg
                                        Birth Date: 22 Jul 1882
                                        Death Date: 10 Oct 1973
                                        Death County: Grant
                                        Mother's Maiden Name: Isaacson
                                        State File Number: 025743
                                        Certificate Number: 025743
                                        Certificate Year: 1973
                                        Record Number: 1894985
                                        NOTE: similar info in the Social Security Death Index

                                        1930 Lien, Grant, Minnesota
                                        Sandberg, Ivar/47:Norway/imm:1900, Marion/42:MN:Nor:Nor,
                                        (), Anna/10, Dorothea/9, Gerhard/8, John/6, Paul/4

                                        1920 Barrett, Grant, Minnesota
                                        Sandberg, Ivar/35:Norway/imm:1899, Marion/32:MN:Nor:WI, Anna E/7m

                                        Name: Rev. Ivar Sandberg
                                        Location: Barrett, Grant, Minnesota
                                        Birth Date: 22 Jul 1882 (naturalized citizen)
                                        Occupation: Minister of the Gospel
                                        Nearest Relative: Mrs. Rev. Ivar Sandberg

                                        U.S. Passport Applications, 1795-1925
                                        Name: Ivar Sandberg
                                        Birth Date: 22 Jul 1882
                                        Birth Place: Grono, Norway
                                        Age: 37
                                        Residence: Barrett, Minn
                                        Passport Issue Date: 25 Jun 1920
                                        Father Name: Anton Parelie
                                        Father's Birth Location: Norway
                                        Father's Residence: Deceased
                                        Passport Includes a Photo: Yes
                                        NOTE: passport for his trip back to Norway to see his mother

                                        U.S. Naturalization Record Indexes, 1791-1992
                                        Name: Ivar Sandberg
                                        Birth Date: 22 Jul 1882
                                        Birth Place: Norway
                                        Age at event: 26
                                        Court District: Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, Iowa
                                        Date of Action: 20 Apr 1909
                                        Location of Court: Dist. Winneshiek Co. Decorah, Ia. [IOWA]

                                        This looks like him in 1910 - going to school? -
                                        1910 Decorah Ward 5, Winneshiek, Iowa
                                        location: Luther College
                                        Sandberg, Iver, head 27 single born Norway imm:1900 naturalized
                                        Add Ekfeler 23, Marie E Morus 38, Emma F Boalsen 22,
                                        Sigrid Koel 20, Sofie M Bupaker 16, Marie Koele 20,
                                        Elma Bersager 18

                                        This might be his immigration record -
                                        Name: Iver Sandbeck
                                        Arrival Date: 18 Mar 1899
                                        Birth Year: abt 1882
                                        Age: 17
                                        Gender: Male
                                        Ethnicity/Race/Nationality: Norwegian
                                        Port of Departure: Liverpool, England - 11 Mar 1899
                                        Port of Arrival: New York, New York
                                        Ship Name: Campania
                                        NOTES: line 22
                                        last residence: Christiania
                                        destination: Minneapolis Min.
                                        <http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&rank=0&f8=iv*R&f10=&sx=&rg_f46__date=1882&rs_f46__date=5&f14=&f72=&f74=&f97=&f70=&f24=norw*&rg_f86__date=1900&rs_f86__date=1&gskw=&prox=1&db=nypl&ti=0&ti.si=0&gss=angs-d&pcat=40&fh=48&h=4009536600&recoff=8>

                                        Same information & images is also available FREE at EllisIsland.org
                                        <http://ellisisland.org/search/matchMore.asp?FNM=IVER&LNM=SANDBECK&PLNM=SANDBECK&CGD=M&bSYR=1881&bEYR=1883&first_kind=1&kind=exact&offset=0&dwpdone=1>

                                        This is his RETURN from his trip to see his mother -
                                        New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
                                        Name: Ivar Sandberg
                                        Arrival Date: 7 Sep 1920
                                        Birth Year: abt 1882
                                        Age: 38
                                        Gender: Male
                                        Port of Departure: Christiania
                                        Port of Arrival: New York, New York
                                        Ship Name: Stavangerfjord
                                        <http://ellisisland.org/search/matchMore.asp?FNM=IVAR&LNM=SANDBERG&PLNM=SANDBERG&CGD=M&bSYR=1881&bEYR=1883&first_kind=1&kind=exact&offset=0&dwpdone=1>

                                        wife MARION BERRUM and children have entries in book
                                        "Genealogies of the Lomen [Ringstad], Brandt and Joys families"
                                        http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=11975&enc=1
                                        m. Ivar Kruger Sandberg son of Anton Pareli Kruger of Bodø, Norway

                                        If indeed his emigration was in 1899,
                                        then he should be in the 1900 U.S. census somewhere.
                                        Maybe as SANDBECK instead of SANDBERG?

                                        For his family back in Norway -
                                        have you checked "Cemeteries in Norway"?
                                        http://www.disnorge.no/gravminner/index.php?language=engelsk
                                        Maybe look for location Bodø, Nordland, Norway ?
                                        (this database is also searchable through Ancestry.com)

                                        - Tom Knox

                                        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Ann Courtney <kris_rigg@...> wrote:

                                        > My sources of information are a photo copy of Church Records for Ivar's birth and confirmation in Norway, Luther College in Iowa and a photo copy of some kind of imargration which Ivar came to America on 5/30/1900. The photo copies are all in Noregen (sp?). I personally talked to people at Lurther College to get information from them. He started at Luther College in 1904. I also know that he went to Farmer's College in Mpls, Minnesota before he went to Lurther College, according to his obit. I can't find anything on him between 1897-1900 (in Norway) and 1900 to 1904 (in America) other than the photo copy of immagration. I think that I can read on the photo copy of imagration  that he might of gone to Belegrade, Minnesota. I have never heard of that town. I'm not even sure if he went there or not.
                                        > As for his parents and sister, I can't find them any where elce other than what is listed above and a 1875 Census of Rodoy, Norway, which lists his parents and his sister.
                                        > Ann

                                      • Bloodhound; Kermit
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Apr 3, 2012
                                          > he might of gone to Belegrade, Minnesota

                                          There is a BELGRADE Minnesota - in Stearns County -
                                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgrade,_Minnesota
                                          Stearns County includes St. Cloud
                                          http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~mngenweb/countymaps.htm

                                          Rev Ivar Kruger Sandberg (1882-1973)
                                          http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=42002614

                                          Have you searched the 1900 Norway census?
                                          http://www.rhd.uit.no/folketellinger/folketellinger_e.aspx
                                          look at Province of Nordland ?
                                          Also 1910 census available

                                          - Tom Knox

                                          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Ann Courtney <kris_rigg@...> wrote:

                                          > My sources of information are a photo copy of Church Records for Ivar's birth and confirmation in Norway, Luther College in Iowa and a photo copy of some kind of imargration which Ivar came to America on 5/30/1900. The photo copies are all in Noregen (sp?). I personally talked to people at Lurther College to get information from them. He started at Luther College in 1904. I also know that he went to Farmer's College in Mpls, Minnesota before he went to Lurther College, according to his obit. I can't find anything on him between 1897-1900 (in Norway) and 1900 to 1904 (in America) other than the photo copy of immagration. I think that I can read on the photo copy of imagration  that he might of gone to Belegrade, Minnesota. I have never heard of that town. I'm not even sure if he went there or not.
                                          > As for his parents and sister, I can't find them any where elce other than what is listed above and a 1875 Census of Rodoy, Norway, which lists his parents and his sister.
                                          > Ann

                                        • bob gillis
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Apr 4, 2012
                                            On 3/12/2012 12:42 AM, Ann Courtney wrote:
                                            > My sources of information are a photo copy of Church Records for
                                            > Ivar's birth and confirmation in Norway, Luther College in Iowa and
                                            > a photo copy of some kind of immigration which Ivar came to America
                                            > on 5/30/1900.The photo copies are all in Noregen, (sp?) [why not use
                                            > Norwegian ].

                                            I do not know what document you have a copy of but the Passenger
                                            Arrivals List for the USA are in English. I did find using Steve Morse's
                                            site at http://www.stevemorse.org/:

                                            First Name: Iver
                                            Last Name: Sandbeck
                                            Ethnicity: Norway, Norwegian
                                            Last Place of Residence: Christiania
                                            Date of Arrival: Mar 18, 1899
                                            Age at Arrival: 17y Gender: M Marital Status: S
                                            Ship of Travel: Campania
                                            Port of Departure: Liverpool
                                            Manifest Line Number: 0022
                                            He was going to Minneapolis, MN

                                            Is this your Ivor

                                            > I personally talked to people at Luther College to get information
                                            > from them. He started at Luther College in 1904. I also know that he
                                            > went to Farmer's College in Minneapolis Minnesota before he went to
                                            > Luther College, according to his obit. I can't find anything on him
                                            > between 1897-1900 (in Norway) and 1900 to 1904 (in America) other
                                            > than the photo copy of immigration. I think that I can read on the
                                            > photo copy of immigration that he might of gone to Belegrade,
                                            > Minnesota. I have never heard of that town. I'm not even sure if he
                                            > went there or not.

                                            Belgrade MN is about 21 miles SSW of Sauk Center in Stearns County on\m
                                            Route US 71

                                            There are no US Federal records between the 1900 and 1910 Census. There
                                            is a 1905 MN Census which you can search on familysearch.org.

                                            Search and Browse the NOR-NORDLAND list on rootsweb.

                                            > As for his parents and sister, I can't find them any where else
                                            > other than what is listed above and a 1875 Census of Rodoy, Norway,
                                            > which lists his parents and his sister.

                                            Probably his parents and sister did not emigrate.

                                            > On 3/5/2012 10:52 PM, Ann wrote:
                                            >> 2) Ivar K Sandberg b-7/22/1882, Meloy, Helgeland, Norway d-1973,
                                            >> Minnesota married to Marion Berrum on Oct 4, 1917, Wisconsin They
                                            >> had 2 daughters and 3 sons. His parents are Anton P Kruger/Anton
                                            >> Pareli Glad Pederson/Anton Parelie and Anne/Ane Isaacson.
                                            >
                                            > NOTE: I'm trying
                                            >> to find any paper trail of Ivar between 1882-1902 and I would like
                                            >> to find anything regarding his parents. I know that Ivar had a
                                            >> sister, Pedra Antondatter. Ivar was also known as Iver Sandberg
                                            >> Antonsen.

                                            Norway baptisms, marriages and burials are on FS.

                                            bob gillis