Re: [Genealogy Research Club] 1 last question for now.

  • Denise Alberino
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 11, 2009
      Awesome, it worked!! The only problem is and I wonder if it is just Family
      Historian, but you can't view the entire tree in pedigree. And I can't seem
      to figure out why, but that is ok all the information is there. Thank you
      so much!!

      Thank you,
      Denise Alberino
      www.digitalcreationz.net
      Pampered Chef Consultant
      #600093
      www.pamperedchef.biz/dalberino

      From: Denise Alberino <alberino30@...>
      To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thursday, December 10, 2009, 7:25 PM

      I have been in contact with an Aunt that we lost contact with back in Feb.
      2008 when my Grandmother died. Although I contacted her out of nowhere she
      has been very willing to help me and has given me more information than I
      could have possibly dreamed of. I am so excited and glad that I swallowed
      my pride and contacted her.

      As for my question. I have a program that I started my family tree on
      called Family Historian 3.1, however since I signed up with Ancestry.com it
      is so much easier to add information to that family tree. This is also
      better because you can share the tree with other members of the family. My
      question is, does anyone else use Ancestry.com for their family tree? And
      if you do, do you have any concerns about the future of the website? Like
      will it be around for another 50 or 100 years? Is there a way to back up
      the information from the website to a disk?

      Thank you in advance for any information.

      Thank you,
      Denise Alberino
      www.digitalcreationz.net
      Pampered Chef Consultant
      #600093
      www.pamperedchef.biz/dalberino

    • Dawn Bennink
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 11, 2009
        Denise,

        Good for you for contacting your aunt! I've contacted plenty of family
        members with whom I had little or no contact throughout my life, including
        my father. I've honestly never been sorry. Even if I don't get a good
        relationship out of the contact, I usually get enough information to make
        the contact worth my while. I'm happy for you.

        I use ancestry.com for my tree. It is super easy to build there. I
        download my tree regularly from there, just to safeguard it. But I honestly
        have no worries about the future of ancestry.com. 50 years or 100 years? I
        don't know. But for quite a while.

        If you take the following steps, you can download a gedcom of your tree to
        your hard drive. It will not bring the records you have attached nor the
        photos, but it will bring the citations and information. If you have Family
        Tree Maker 2010, you CAN download media, although not the censuses, etc.

        Downloading a tree from ancestry.com:

        Click the Family Trees tab at the top of your ancestry.com page.

        Click Manage Tree

        Click Export tree (on the right of the screen)

        Under that tab, it will say "Generating a GEDCOM file" and give a
        completion percentage. It could take a while, depending upon the size of
        your tree. This will keep processing even if you leave that page.

        When the GEDCOM is generated, click the button that says "Download your
        GEDCOM file." If, like happens to me, you get a list of computer generated
        code instead of a download box, right click the button instead, select "Save
        Target as ..." and go through the process you would with any download.

        That should do it!

        Dawn

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 11, 2009
          I want to add my congratulations regarding your contact.  I have made 2 cross country trips with my trailer.  There were several times that my genealogy investigation found a local relative that I could contact and I did.  I was even offered to bring the trailer and park out back - get to know the family - and I did just that.  I shared information with them and they with me.  I would strongly suggest that whether by phone, Internet, email, or in person, make the connection and get to know family as best you can ,

          Mary
          Roseville, California