Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Newbie question...

  • Glennis Kowalski
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 8, 2009
      Hi Denise I to knew nothing on my family but a name its took awhile for me to get info .
      1- go to genealogy broads list what info you have ,name,date of birth,town of birth, what area he was in during the war.
      2- check war records with cyndies list  and any other info you can. Thats a good list for info
      3- www.rootsweb.com
      4-go to state genealogy trails that he may have live in or that his wife may have come from .
      5- Look for your grandparents in Roots  check out the cenus records for him and all family members mother, father, wife, and dont give up  Hope these helps a little. Glennis

      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 8, 2009
        My first thought is that your family does not know absolutely nothing if
        they know your grandfather fought in WWII, was captured by the germans, etc.
        It is a LOT more than many of us had to go on.

        Perhaps you start with his enlistment record, likely found online. I can
        look for it if you tell me his name. Is this your grandfather Morris? I
        told you I found his enlistment record, but saw no response from you for any
        of the information I posted or anyone else posted in response to your last
        query. Perhaps that was not the right Morris, however, as he enlisted in
        the "Ordnance Department" for the Phillipine Department. That unit did
        indeed surrender, but to the Japanese, not the Germans.

        If you ARE talking about your grandfather Morris, you know he lived in New
        Jersey. You can concentrate your newspaper searches there.

        There is absolutely no easy way to find everything. It takes YEARS of
        research and pouring over everything you can to find what you want. If you
        want a quick and easy tree, I have no advice for you but I wish you luck!

        Dawn

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 8, 2009
          Dawn, I am so sorry, I thought that I responded to your post. I was reading
          my emails from a different computer and when I went on my main computer I
          thought that I had responded to them all. I did get your post and everyone
          elses posts on my grandfathers information. I was able to retrieve his
          enlistment records. I feel like a real dummy lol. I am a little clueless
          as to where to start and slowly but surely figuring it out.

          I was able to find a list of all the captures and the roommates that they
          lived with and the barracks that they lived in. But was unable to find my
          grandfather amongst them, so I am wondering if he was an "unknown" or the
          story being told is inaccurate.

          Yes I am looking for stories on Morris and am hoping to find more
          information about him than he actually revealed, but I know this will be no
          easy feat and I definitely don't want a quick tree. My husband would kill
          me if I spend hours upon hours at the computer doing research, but I am so
          enthralled I don't see how you can't spend hours searching. Not to mention
          I am learning alot about the war that I did not know. I even started a blog
          journaling my finds and links that seem important to my search, in case I
          ever need to reference them again. But I absolutely know that this is not a
          quick thing.

          I just wanted to know how you guys do your research. Maybe the direction I
          am starting in is not a good starting point. I appreciate the information
          that was giving to me and it all gives me a GREAT starting point.

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 8, 2009
            I think you are doing the best thing, Denise, starting from what you know.
            It's all we can do.

            I am a homeschooling mom to two boys but still manage to sneak in as much
            research time as I can. I had been doing research for years but had some
            major breakthroughs when I finally bit the bullet and subscribed to
            ancestry.com (not an endorsement, just my experience). Cyndi's list is
            another great launching point as is usgenweb.org. Findagrave was helpful to
            me, but I found a lot of misinformation there. Google and googlebooks have
            been great resources for me too.

            I will keep Morris on my list to research and let you know if I can find
            anything else. :o)

            Good luck!

            Dawn