New member intro

  • Denise Alberino
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 7, 2009
      Hi everyone,

      My name is Denise. I currently reside in PA with my husband Anthony and my
      2 girls Gabriella and Gionna.

      I have just become interested in Genealogy. I guess what triggered it was
      that my mom told me that my grandfather had always said that he was born in
      the US but apparently his birth certificate says he was born in Italy. I
      believe he would have been very young at arrival to the US however I can not
      find any record of him nor my Great Grandparents coming in over Ellis Island

      The family that I speak to have no recollection of the past and the family
      members that I don't speak to I know have some type of documentation.
      However time and time again I have sent emails requesting information and I
      get no response.

      I am very new to my search and am hitting a brick wall already. If anyone
      would be able to help me figure out what to do next I would be so gracious.

      Here is some information:

      Great Grandfather - Salvatore Avella, born 1898 (somewhere in Sicily) Died
      in Miami Florida
      Great Grandmother - Josephine Avella Born 1896 (somewhere in Sicily) died
      in Jersey City, NJ
      Grandfather - Morris J. Avella-possible birth name Mario. Born 1922 died
      in Union, NJ

      I cannot find a trace of any of them on Ellisisland.org no matter how I
      spell their names.
      Thank you in advance for any possible help.

      Thank you,
      Denise Alberino
      www.digitalcreationz.net
      Pampered Chef Consultant
      #600093
      www.pamperedchef.biz/dalberino

    • Kate
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 7, 2009
        Hi Denise-
        I found the family on the 1930 census:

        1930 United States Federal Census 1930 United States Federal Census

        Name:
        Morris Avella

        Home in 1930:
        var mapInitialized = false;function showMap(place){if(mapInitialized == false){mapInitialized = true;YAHOO.util.Get.script('http://c.mfcreative.com/ComBiz/Places/Scripts/MiniMapDialog.js?v=1.0',{ onSuccess: function(o) {TGN.Places.MiniMap.initialize("en", "http://c.mfcreative.com/");TGN.Places.MiniMap.showByName(place);}});}else{TGN.Places.MiniMap.showByName(place);}}Jersey City, Hudson, New Jersey
        View Map

        Age:
        AgeWith12ths('8',false);8

        Estimated birth year:
        abt 1922

        Relation to Head of House:
        Son

        Father's Name:
        Salvatore

        Mother's Name:
        Josephine

        Race:
        White

        Household Members:

        Name
        Age

        Salvatore Avella
        32

        Josephine Avella
        34

        Morris Avella
        8

        Lena Avella
        6

        Concetta Avella
        4

        Frank Avella

        Source Citation: Year: 1930; Census Place: Jersey City, Hudson, New Jersey; Roll  1351; Page: 17A; Enumeration District: 58; Image: 598.0.
        according to the census info, his parents arrived in the US in 1921, but it could be off. I'll send you the image shortly.
        Kate

        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 7, 2009
          I found the following records that might match them. If your great
          grandfather arrived in Boston (as my grandfather did) rather than Ellis
          Island, it would explain why you had not found him. If they appear to
          match, I'd be happy to get the details and send you originals of the
          passenger manifest.

          Social Security Death Index
          Name: Salvatore Avella
          SSN: 157-10-0814
          Last Residence: 33144 Miami, Miami-Dade, Florida, United States of America
          Born: 23 Jan 1898
          Died: May 1966
          State (Year) SSN issued: New Jersey (Before 1951)
          Name: Salvatore Avella
          Birth: 23 Jan 1898
          Death: May 1966 - Miami, Miami-Dade, Florida, United States of America
          Civil: New Jersey

          Boston Passenger Lists, 1820-1943
          Name: Salvatore Avella
          Arrival Date: 17 Apr 1921
          Age: 24 Years
          Estimated birth year: abt 1897
          Gender: Male
          Ethnic Background: Italian (South) (Italian)
          Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
          Ship Name: Princess Matoika
          Port of Arrival: Boston, Massachusetts
          Friend's Name: Marlano Avella
          Last Residence: Palermo
          Birthplace: Castronov, Palermo
          Microfilm Roll Number: 265
          Name: Salvatore Avella
          Other: Marlano Avella
          Birth: abt 1897 - Castronov, Palermo
          Origin: Palermo

          Florida Death Index, 1877-1998
          Name: Salvatore Avella
          Death: May 1966 - Dade, Florida, United States

          Do you happen to know your great grandmother's maiden name?

          Her is some info for what I imagine is her:

          Social Security Death Index
          Name: Josephine Avella
          SSN: 090-05-2631
          Last Residence: 07306 Jersey City, Hudson, New Jersey, United States of
          America
          Born: 11 Sep 1895
          Died: Apr 1984
          State (Year) SSN issued: New York (Before 1951)
          Name: Josephine Avella
          Birth: 11 Sep 1895
          Death: Apr 1984 - Jersey City, Hudson, New Jersey, United States of America
          Civil: New York

          1930 United States Federal Census
          Name: Josephine Avella
          Spouse: Salvatore
          Birth: abt 1896
          Residence: 1930 - Jersey City, Hudson, New Jersey
          Household members:
          Salvatore Avella 32
          Josephine Avella 34
          Morris Avella 8
          Lena Avella 6
          Concetta Avella 4
          Frank Avella 0

          This census does indicate the parents were born in Italy but the children in
          New Jersey. The year of arrival for the parents is 1921, which bolsters
          that the above ship manifest if for your g-grandfather and that your
          grandfather was indeed born in the US., especially if the record below is
          him and he was born in 1922. :o)

          Social Security Death Index
          Morris Avella
          SSN: 153-16-7206
          Last Residence: 07083 Union, Union, New Jersey, United States of America
          Born: 13 Jan 1922
          Died: 25 Mar 1988
          State (Year) SSN issued: New Jersey (Before 1951)
          Name: Morris Avella
          Birth: 13 Jan 1922
          Death: 25 Mar 1988 - Union, Union, New Jersey, United States of America
          Civil: New Jersey

          Hope this helps. It's after just a quick look as dinner is ready. :o)

          BTW, I also found Morris' WWI enlistment record indicating he was born in
          New Jersey. I can send that as well if you like.

          Dawn

          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 7, 2009
            Hi, here is what I found for you.
            Boston Passenger list
            Name:
            Salvatore Avella

            Arrival Date:

            Age:
            24 Years

            Estimated birth year:
            abt 1897

            Gender:
            Male

            Ethnic Background:
            Italian (South) (Italian)

            Port of Departure:
            Naples, Italy

            Ship Name:
            Princess Matoika

            Port of Arrival:
            Boston, Massachusetts

            Friend's Name:
            Marlano Avella

            Last Residence:
            Palermo

            Birthplace:
            Castronov, Palermo

            Microfilm Roll Number:
            265----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

            Tammy Jernigan
            Discover Avon
            http://tjernigan6348.avonrepresentative.com/
            http://www.myspace.com/geneologyhuntress

            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 7, 2009
              Denise , I am sending you some items I found on Salvatore Avella, I hope this is him. Julie

              To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 8, 2009
                Oh my this is all great stuff. According to the Ship Manifest my Great
                Grandmothers name was Militello, but I can't figure out if that first letter
                is an M, N, or a W.

                Thank you so much for doing this. This is a great step in the direction I am
                heading in!!

                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 8, 2009
                  Awesome. Am looking forward to seeing anything I can get my hands on that
                  will take me on to the next phase.

                  To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 8, 2009
                    Ah, there's an answer. :o)

                    Which ship manifest?

                    Dawn

                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 8, 2009
                      Do you mean the ship name? It was Princess Matoika

                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 8, 2009
                        You said "according to the ship's manifest" and I wasn't sure what you
                        meant. Was your great grandmother on the same ship with our great
                        grandfather? I think I'm researching too many people at once 'cause I'm
                        losing track. :oD

                        Dawn

                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 8, 2009
                          LOL, I do believe she was on the same ship. She was on the line above him
                          and in handwriting they had husband and wife. So I am only taking a guess
                          that she is the same person. I too just bit the bullet and started an
                          account at ancestry.com because it was driving me nuts, but I still
                          cant find any information on her. But I looking. I just found some family
                          members I even forgot existed, so I think this investment was definitely a
                          good one.

                          --
                          Thank you,
                          PCCE Mod Denise A.

                          Congrats to M.O.M
                          Marcy Conley

                        • SharonG
                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 10, 2009
                            Denise,

                            If you were not aware, according to one of our genealogy society members (who is very knowledgeable with Italian research)Italian women keep their maiden names in official records for life. If you continue to search back in your heritage, you should look for your Italian females by their maiden names. Check with your local genealogical society and LDS Family History Center as well as local libraries for information regarding your research interest.

                            Happy ancestor hunting! It can be very addictive & time consuming, and depending on how many documents you want to order from repositories such as Social Security, State/County records (like birth, death, marriage,divorce, land, probate,etc.)expensive!

                            Sharon