Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Help with 1840 census

  • Mary E. Conley
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 24, 2009
      Julie,

      If you haven't figured this out already, I know this is a late reply, but go to the 1850 census which lists everyone in a household.  The 1840 only lists the name of the head of household.  When I use the census, I start with the most recent.  For example if he died in 1912, I would search the 1910 and would probably find him with a wife and children. I would then go to the 1900, then the 1890 (which is only a partial census - most of it was destroyed by a fire), then the 1880, etc.  I hope this is of help to you and others.

      Mary
      Roseville, California