Melungeon ancestry -- Appalachian -- very interesting

  • mg
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 17, 2009
       Was it here I read recently about Melungeons?  I had never heard of them until a few weeks ago...an interesting group of people in Appalachains..Kentucky, Tennesee, Georgia.  Some main names are Williams (my grandparents), Collins, Paine, Mullens...they are darker than most people of European ancestry and the original theory was that they had European, Native American and African American ancestry..but DNA studies are showing that their claims to have other heritage are confirmed..with ancestry from Turkey, Syria..Morocco..Sami of Finland.  It is truly a fascinating discovery.  Lots to google.  mg

    • Lois Edwards
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 25, 2009
        Hi, My great grandfather was William Henry Williams. His father was James W Williams. James was living in Sabine Co TX 1850. I know he was either Indian or melungeon. Let me hear from you. Lois