1940 substitute census

  • Mrs.Mikey
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 16, 2009
      Have you had much luck using the 1940 substitute census? Doesn't prove to be very helpful for me anyway, Unless I am doing it wrong.

      I was so excited when I first heard about it. Boy was I ever disappointed.
      I know it is different from the regular census, But I .was hoping it would
      give me a few more hints some of my brick walls that I have. But The search
      utility will give me results that have nothing whatsoever to do with the names
      I entered.And it doesn't even tell you everyone who lived in the home,
      You'd think it would at least tell you how many people were in the household
      by giving us a mumber lie 2 afdults, 3 children etc...
    • mg
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 17, 2009
         Was it here I read recently about Melungeons?  I had never heard of them until a few weeks ago...an interesting group of people in Appalachains..Kentucky, Tennesee, Georgia.  Some main names are Williams (my grandparents), Collins, Paine, Mullens...they are darker than most people of European ancestry and the original theory was that they had European, Native American and African American ancestry..but DNA studies are showing that their claims to have other heritage are confirmed..with ancestry from Turkey, Syria..Morocco..Sami of Finland.  It is truly a fascinating discovery.  Lots to google.  mg

      • Lois Edwards
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 25, 2009
          Hi, My great grandfather was William Henry Williams. His father was James W Williams. James was living in Sabine Co TX 1850. I know he was either Indian or melungeon. Let me hear from you. Lois