Proper posting for previously married spouse

  • Chuck
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 3, 2009
      When posting a previously married woman into a database should I include both her surname and legal name or just her legal name; i.e., Jane SMITH Doe, or just Jane Doe?
    • circa_1948
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 3, 2009
        not sure i know what you mean...what program?
        in FTM you'd be using her maiden name opposite her husband.
        if married another time you'd add that husband to her info in the appropriate box.

        if just writing it out and let's say she was susie mae sample and she was married 3 times, once to dan brown, tom jones and once to joe smith you'd write it thus....
        susie mae sample brown jones smith

        sunny
        When posting a previously married woman into a database should I include both her surname and legal name or just her legal name; i.e., Jane SMITH Doe, or just Jane Doe?

      • Joy Weaver
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 4, 2009
          Chuck,

          A woman is always listed by her maiden name, no matter where you post it.

          Family Tree programs usually allow you to list a woman by her maiden
          name and then attach as many spouses as necessary.

          If you are using a spreadsheet, I think you would enter her by her
          maiden name and then create extra spouse columns as necessary or create
          a "notes" column at the end of her entry where you could enter the prior
          spouse's name. (That column would also be handy for notes of any sort
          on other people).

          Joy

        • Joy Weaver
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 4, 2009
            Sunny, now I'm confused.

            Where would you be writing out her name the long way? On a chart, she'd
            always be Susie Mae SAMPLE.

            When writing about her in a narrative, it might be Susie Mae (Sample)
            Brown/ Jones/ Smith. I think you might need to refer to an etiquette
            book for that, but that's what I've done when necessary.

            Joy

          • Charles Stamp
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 5, 2009
              Thanks to both Joy and sunny.  I have it figured out now.

              Regards,
              Chas.