Re: newbie - Geis family in Ohio

  • Bloodhound (genealogy); Kermit (alt.nick)
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 2, 2009
      Does this look like your family?
      Does Tuscarawas County ring a bell?
      I'm not positive that these puzzle-pieces go together,
      but they look like a pretty good match.

      Social Security Death Index
      Name: Paul D. Geis
      SSN: 281-03-3218 issued: Ohio (Before 1951)
      Last Residence: 43001 Alexandria, Licking, Ohio
      Born: 23 May 1916
      Died: 18 Jun 2003

      1920 Goshen (Midvale), Tuscarawas, Ohio
      Geise, Walter A, married 36 born OH:OH:OH ClayMolder,
      (), Mary E/28:OH:PA:OH, Paul D/3

      1910 Mill (Urichsville Village), Tuscarawas, Ohio
      Geis, Walter A/25:OH:OH:VA, Mary F/18:OH:OH
      - married.1 0 yrs, 0 children

      Name: Walter Archibald Geis
      Residence: Midvale, Tus, O [Tuscarawas, Ohio]
      County: Tuscarawas, Ohio
      Birth Date: 6 Dec 1882
      Race: White
      FHL Roll Number: 1851245
      Nearest Relative: (none listed)
      Occupation: Clay Worker

      Ohio Deaths, 1908-1932, 1938-1944, and 1958-2002
      Name: Mary F Geis
      Death Date: 17 Feb 1927
      County of Death: Tuscarawas
      ==============================
      Name: Walter A Geis
      Death Date: 8 Mar 1928
      County of Death: Tuscarawas

      1930 New Philadelphia, Tuscarawas, Ohio (all marked born OH:OH:OH)
      Geis, William W/42, Audra E/42, both married at age 25
      (), Marie E/16/dau, Paul/13/nephew, Forest/10/nephew

      1900 Mill (Urichville Village), Tuscarawas, Ohio
      Geis, George M, head 45 married 26 yrs born June 1854 OH:Germany:Ger
      - Restaurant Keeper
      (), Phoebe J, wife 45 married 26 yrs born June 1854 WV:VA:VA
      - 9 children 6 living (all children born OH:OH:WV)
      (), Charles E/21, Henritta/19, Fannie C/18,
      (), Walter A/16/Dec1883, William W/12, Nillie/9

      1880 Uhrichsville (Mill Twp), Tuscarawas, Ohio
      Geis, George M/26:OH/Baker, Phebe/26:PA:PA:PA,
      (), Joseph/5:OH:OH:OH, Charls E/3, Henrietta/11m/bornJune

      1910 Mill (Urichsville Village), Tuscarawas, Ohio
      Geis, George M/56:Ger:Ger/proprietorRestaurant, Pheobe/56,
      - married 36 years, 11 children 7 living
      (), Fannie/27, Nellie/18, Willie/22
      NOTE: all are marked as born "Ohio:Germany:Germany" (?!)

      Ohio Deaths, 1908-1932, 1938-1944, and 1958-2002
      Name: Phoebe Jane Geis
      Death Date: 15 Apr 1912
      City of Death: Uhrichsville
      County of Death: Tuscarawas

      Ancestry.com has 3 "Public Member Stories" -
      - newspaper article re Geis' Restaurant
      - George Michael Geis Obituary (1854-1926)
      - Geis-Bussinger Connection (includes large descendancy chart)
      1 Michael M. Geis 1828 - 1876 b: September 30, 1828 in Aldbessengen, Bavaria, Germany d: July 3, 1876 in Wapakoneta, Ohio
      .... +Mathilda Schneider 1830 - 1920 b: May 15, 1830 in Zeilizheim, Bavaria, Germany d: November 16, 1920 in St. Elizabeth Hospital, Dayton, Ohio
      .... 2 George M. Geis 1854 - 1926 b: June 28, 1854 in Wapakoneta, Ohio d: December 8, 1926 in Springfield, Ohio, ( Clark Co.)
      ....... +Phoebe Jane Bartholomew 1854 - 1912 b: July 15, 1854 in Cameron , West Virginia , ( near Boardtree ) d: April 13, 1912 in Dennison , Ohio

      NOTE: the Bussinger connection is through one of George & Phoebe's children

      - Tom Knox IBSSG "Bloodhound"

      --- In genealogyresearchclub, "Donna" <shadow_wolf@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      > I am looking for information on the Geis family in Ohio. My name is Donna Geis. My father's name is Charles Davis Geis. His father's name was Paul Davis Geis. Paul's parents were Walter Geis and Flossie Davis (first name possibly Mary). Any information would be greatly appreciated. I do not live in Ohio and I am unable to go there at the present time to look for information.
      >
      > Donna

    • Donna
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 2, 2009
        Yes, this is some of them. Walter and Flossie Davis Geis were my grandfather, Paul Davis Geis' parents. From what I have found, it looks like George and Phoebe Geis were Walter's parents.

        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Bloodhound (genealogy); Kermit (alt.nick)" <tomknox2001@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > .... 2 George M. Geis 1854 - 1926 b: June 28, 1854 in Wapakoneta, Ohio d: December 8, 1926 in Springfield, Ohio, ( Clark Co.)
        > ....... +Phoebe Jane Bartholomew 1854 - 1912 b: July 15, 1854 in Cameron , West Virginia , ( near Boardtree ) d: April 13, 1912 in Dennison , Ohio
        >
        > NOTE: the Bussinger connection is through one of George & Phoebe's children
        >

        > - Tom Knox IBSSG "Bloodhound"
        >

        > --- In genealogyresearchclub, "Donna" <shadow_wolf@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi,
        > > I am looking for information on the Geis family in Ohio. My name is Donna Geis. My father's name is Charles Davis Geis. His father's name was Paul Davis Geis. Paul's parents were Walter Geis and Flossie Davis (first name possibly Mary). Any information would be greatly appreciated. I do not live in Ohio and I am unable to go there at the present time to look for information.

      • Donna
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 2, 2009
          From what I have found, Walter A. Geis was born December 6, 1882 and died March 8, 1928. He was born in Tuscarawas, Ohio. His wife, Mary Flossie Foster Davis was born June 6, 1891 and died February 17, 1927.
          It looks like Walter Geis' parents were George M. Geis and Phoebe Jane Bartholomew.
          I'm not sure but from what I have found it looks like George M. Geis' parents were Michael M. Geis and Mathilda Scheider Geis, both born in Bavaria, Germany.
          From what I know this particular Geis family were German Jews. I am trying to find information on the Jewish ancestry - like where it comes in at, etc.

          Paul Davis Geis, my grandfather, was born May 23, 1916 and died June 18, 2003. His parennts were Walter and Mary Flossie Geis, mentioned above.

          Donna

          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Dawn Bennink" <bennink4@...> wrote:

          > Do you have any birth years for anyone, even approximate, or cities in OH?
          > Believe it or not, a simple ancestry.com brings up quite a few Walter Geis
          > census pages in OH. If I had an idea of the years in which they were born,
          > I might be able to find something more concrete for you.
          >
          > Dawn

        • Donna
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 2, 2009
            Walter A. Geis was born December 6, 1882 and died March 8, 1928. His wife, Mary Flossie Foster Davis (related to Jefferson Davis), was born June 6, 1891 and died February 17, 1927.

            Dona

            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 3, 2009
              More Geis family in Ohio -

              1870 Wapakoneta, Auglaize, Ohio
              Gise, Machael/40:Bayern/baker, Matilda/38:Bayern,
              (), George/16:OH/baker, Matilda/14, Frank/10, William/4,
              (), Mary/3, John/2m?/bornOct

              1880 Wapakoneta, Auglaize, Ohio
              Geis, Mathilda/48:Bavaria/widow, Frank/19:OH/butcher,
              (), William/14, Maria/12, John/10, Christina/8, Lorenz/6

              1860 Piqua, Miami, Ohio
              Gies, Michael/30:Baden/baker, Matilda/28:Baden,
              (), George/5:OH, Margaret/4, Christena/2

              - Tom Knox

              --- In genealogyresearchclub, "Bloodhound" <tomknox2001@...> wrote:

              > 1880 Uhrichsville (Mill Twp), Tuscarawas, Ohio
              > Geis, George M/26:OH/Baker, Phebe/26:PA:PA:PA,
              > (), Joseph/5:OH:OH:OH, Charls E/3, Henrietta/11m/bornJune

              > 1 Michael M. Geis 1828 - 1876 b: September 30, 1828 in Aldbessengen, Bavaria, Germany d: July 3, 1876 in Wapakoneta, Ohio
              > .... +Mathilda Schneider 1830 - 1920 b: May 15, 1830 in Zeilizheim, Bavaria, Germany d: November 16, 1920 in St. Elizabeth Hospital, Dayton, Ohio
              > .... 2 George M. Geis 1854 - 1926 b: June 28, 1854 in Wapakoneta, Ohio d: December 8, 1926 in Springfield, Ohio, ( Clark Co.)
              > ....... +Phoebe Jane Bartholomew 1854 - 1912 b: July 15, 1854 in Cameron , West Virginia , ( near Boardtree ) d: April 13, 1912 in Dennison , Ohio
              >
              > - Tom Knox IBSSG "Bloodhound"
              >
              > --- In genealogyresearchclub, "Donna" <shadow_wolf@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi,
              > > I am looking for information on the Geis family in Ohio. My name is Donna Geis. My father's name is Charles Davis Geis. His father's name was Paul Davis Geis. Paul's parents were Walter Geis and Flossie Davis (first name possibly Mary). Any information would be greatly appreciated. I do not live in Ohio and I am unable to go there at the present time to look for information.
              > >
              > > Donna
            • Lee
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 16, 2009
                I found the Death Certificate of Walter... Please e-mail me if you want the Image... Walter's fathers name on the death cert was George e-mail me

                lmossolle at yahoo . com

                Name: Walter A. Geis
                Titles:
                Death date: 08 Mar 1928
                Death place: Dover Township, Tuscarawas, Ohio
                Birth date: 06 Dec 1882
                Estimated birth year:
                Birthplace: Uricksville, Ohio
                Age at death: 45 years 3 months 2 days
                Gender: Male
                Marital status: Widowed
                Race or color: Caucasian
                Street address: 707 Fair Ave. N.E.
                Occupation: Clayworker
                Residence:
                Burial date: 10 Mar 1928
                Burial place:
                Cemetery name: East Ave Cemetery
                Spouse's name: Flossie Davis Geis
                Father's name: George Geis
                Father's titles:
                Father's birthplace: Ohio
                Mother's name:
                Mother's titles:
                Mother's birthplace:
                GSU film number: 1991206
                Digital GS number: 4022087
                Image number: 982
                Reference number: fn 19688
                Collection: Ohio Deaths 1908-1953

                --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Donna" <shadow_wolf@...> wrote:

                > Hi,
                > I am looking for information on the Geis family in Ohio. My name is Donna Geis. My father's name is Charles Davis Geis. His father's name was Paul Davis Geis. Paul's parents were Walter Geis and Flossie Davis (first name possibly Mary). Any information would be greatly appreciated. I do not live in Ohio and I am unable to go there at the present time to look for information.
                >
                > Donna

              • Lee
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 16, 2009
                  ********** Generation #1 **********

                  Michael M. Geis
                  b. September 30, 1828 in Aldbessengen, Bavaria, Germany
                  d. July 3, 1876 in Wapakoneta, Ohio
                  Married
                  Mathilda Schneider
                  b. May 15, 1830 in Zeilizheim, Bavaria, Germany
                  d. November 10, 1920 in St. Elizabeth Hospital, Dayton, Ohio

                  Children
                  George M Geis
                  b. June 28, 1854 in Wapakoneta, Ohio
                  d. December 8, 1926 in Springfield, Ohio

                  ********** Generation #2 **********

                  George Michael Geis
                  Married Phoebe Jane Bartholomew
                  b. July 15, 1854 in Cameron, West Virginia
                  d. April 13, 1912 in Dennison, Ohio

                  Children of George and Phoebe

                  Charles Edward Geis
                  b. January 29, 1878