Looking for Wilhelmina C MEISSEL IPPEN birth & death records

  • Joann H
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 28, 2009
      I'm fortunate to live in the same area most of my family has lived in since before 1860.  Today I went to the Board of Health to try to find a death record for my g-grandmother, Wilhelmina C MEISSEL IPPEN.  She was born about 1856 in Indiana, I'm assuming in Vigo County.  She passed away (I've been told) in 1892.  She lived her whole life in Vigo County, Indiana just outside of Terre Haute.

      The only problem is that they weren't able to find any record of her death at the Board of Health.  I've already been through copies of church records from the time period.  I've found names, birthdates, & christening dates for several other family members, but not for her.  I've found records of children she bore, but nothing pertaining specifically to her birth or death.

      I think an attempt to check cemetery records would most likely be futile.  She's buried in an unmarked grave in a very small country cemetery.  If there are any records for the cemetery I have no clue how to find them.

      Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I might look next?

      Blessings,
      JoannH

    • kyounge1956
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 2, 2009
        Does your library have the local newspaper back that far? There might be an obituary or announcement that would give you an exact date of death. It's possible either your informant gave you the wrong date accidentally, or that there is a misspelling or misfiling that is preventing you from finding the record at the Board of Health.

        You might also (if you haven't already) look in the county records of wills and deeds. There may be useful information there.
        Hope that helps.
        Karen
        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Joann H <kjh51jch50@...> wrote:

        > I'm fortunate to live in the same area most of my family has lived in since before 1860.  Today I went to the Board of Health to try to find a death record for my g-grandmother, Wilhelmina C MEISSEL IPPEN.  She was born about 1856 in Indiana, I'm assuming in Vigo County.  She passed away (I've been told) in 1892.  She lived her whole life in Vigo County, Indiana just outside of Terre Haute.
        >
        > The only problem is that they weren't able to find any record of her death at the Board of Health.  I've already been through copies of church records from the time period.  I've found names, birthdates, & christening dates for several other family members, but not for her.  I've found records of children she bore, but nothing pertaining specifically to her birth or death.
        >
        > I think an attempt to check cemetery records would most likely be futile.  She's buried in an unmarked grave in a very small country cemetery.  If there are any records for the cemetery I have no clue how to find them.
        >
        > Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I might look next?
        >
        > Blessings,
        > JoannH

      • J.
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 3, 2009
          Hi,

          Was she married to Peter? If so, he is buried in the Woodlawn Cem. and died Apr. 1879, interred 30 Apr. 1879.

          Also, found the following, not sure if this is your Wilhelmina or not.

          B. 1 "Indiana Mortgage from Wilhelmina Meissel to Mary A. Warren, Received for Record the 4th day of April A.D. 1887 at 12 o'clock and Recorded in Record H-1 Page 288, James Phillips, Recorder of Vigo County, Ind." Riddle, Hamilton & Co. Insurance and Loan Agents, Terre Haute, Ind.
          Source: Harold H. Carson Collection
          Accession No. 690516
          Collection No. 125
          Series VI: Misc. Items

          ------------------
          Janet
          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Joann H <kjh51jch50@...> wrote:

          > I'm fortunate to live in the same area most of my family has lived in since before 1860.  Today I went to the Board of Health to try to find a death record for my g-grandmother, Wilhelmina C MEISSEL IPPEN.  She was born about 1856 in Indiana, I'm assuming in Vigo County.  She passed away (I've been told) in 1892.  She lived her whole life in Vigo County, Indiana just outside of Terre Haute.
          >
          > The only problem is that they weren't able to find any record of her death at the Board of Health.  I've already been through copies of church records from the time period.  I've found names, birthdates, & christening dates for several other family members, but not for her.  I've found records of children she bore, but nothing pertaining specifically to her birth or death.
          >
          > I think an attempt to check cemetery records would most likely be futile.  She's buried in an unmarked grave in a very small country cemetery.  If there are any records for the cemetery I have no clue how to find them.
          >
          > Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I might look next?
          >
          > Blessings,
          > JoannH

        • Joann H
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 3, 2009
            Yes, she was married to Peter Ippen.  However, the Peter Ippen buried in Woodlawn Cemetery is her husband's father.  Wilhelmina & her husband are both buried at Durham Cemetery just south of Terre Haute.

            I'm guessing the Wilhelmina MEISSEL referred to in the record you found is most likely her mother, Wilhelmina GRIEF MEISSEL.  Ernest MEISSEL, husband of the older Wilhelmina & father of the younger, passed away 17 July 1878 & was buried 18 July 1878 at Woodlawn Cemetery.  It seems logical to me that as a widow she would have been transacting business on her own.  Her daughter Wilhelmina would have been a young wife & mother married to Peter IPPEN with four young children and another on the way at the time of this transaction.  Considering the times, I think it's most likely that her husband would be transacting business of this kind.  I do find the record interesting though.  Thanks for sharing it!

            Blessings,
            JoannH

            Was she married to Peter? If so, he is buried in the Woodlawn Cem. and died Apr. 1879, interred 30 Apr. 1879.

            Also, found the following, not sure if this is your Wilhelmina or not.

            B. 1 "Indiana Mortgage from Wilhelmina Meissel to Mary A. Warren, Received for Record the 4th day of April A.D. 1887 at 12 o'clock and Recorded in Record H-1 Page 288, James Phillips, Recorder of Vigo County, Ind." Riddle, Hamilton & Co. Insurance and Loan Agents, Terre Haute, Ind.
            Source: Harold H. Carson Collection
            Accession No. 690516
            Collection No. 125
            Series VI: Misc. Items