FTM 16 vs FTM 2010

  • Joann H
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 17, 2009
      I’m currently using FTM version 16.

      If  I install the new version 2010 on my PC, would it overwrite the old version that’s already on there leaving me with only the new version OR would it install in a different file so both versions could be run, possibly even at the same time?

      I’m torn.  In a way I’d like to try the new version, but then too, I’m familiar with the version I have & it seems to be working well for me.

      In the beginning I wasn’t consistent about citing sources so I’d like to keep one file as it currently is and have a second file that I can start over with to verify & cite all sources the way they should have been done in the beginning.

      Suggestions?

    • tahnoki
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 18, 2009
        It will install in a new directory and then you import your file into 2010. The new 2010 file will include everything from your older version. Nothing will be overwritten BUT your new 2010 file will not be readable in ftm16 so any new data will have to be entered in both programs if you want it available in 16.

        Does that make sense? You'll end up with 2 different versions of your data.

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 18, 2009
          My dad installed an FTM upgrade before our recent trip to SLC, and I now have both version 16 and version 2010 on my laptop. I'm not sure exactly how he did it so both versions were preserved. Might be a good idea to back up the FTM 16 folder on a CD or another computer before installing 2010.

          I don't think I understand your question about the sources, or why you want to start
          all over again, rather than just filling in the missing sources as you find them and re-verify your info. However, whether you start from scratch or fill in the blanks, backing up your current file on a CD will preserve the existing version.

          Hope that helps
          Karen

          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Joann H <kjh51jch50@...> wrote:

          > I’m currently using FTM version 16.
          >
          > If  I install the new version 2010 on my PC, would it overwrite the old version that’s already on there leaving me with only the new version OR would it install in a different file so both versions could be run, possibly even at the same time?
          >
          > I’m torn.  In a way I’d like to try the new version, but then too, I’m familiar with the version I have & it seems to be working well for me.
          >
          > In the beginning I wasn’t consistent about citing sources so I’d like to keep one file as it currently is and have a second file that I can start over with to verify & cite all sources the way they should have been done in the beginning.
          >
          > Suggestions?

        • Frances Russell
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 19, 2009
            I recently installed FTM 2010 and while the screen layout is quite different, I really like that I was able to download my tree from Ancestry. No sources or notes are downloaded, however when I'm working in FTM 2010, my Ancestry file is open and I can see it in a separate "window" which allows me to search and add sources to my Ancestry tree and then add to my FTM file similar to the way the online search worked on my earlier version but without having to switch from one view to another. With my earlier version I could switch only a few times without having problems with the FTM file. I don't know if it was caused by lack of enough memory on my pc or a problem with the old version of FTM.

            Frances