Re: Russell Family ancestry

  • Frances Russell
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 13, 2009
      Tom, thanks very much for the two Arkansas census records. They look very promising. I'll check them out.

      Thanks for the information on Myrtle and Jesse. I have that. The mystery is with Myrtle's father. She died several years ago but she always believed that her father's name was Wesley Calahan Weddle. I have never been able to find any Weddle that connected with her. I have corresponded with a gentleman who has a web site on MyFamily and there are many Weddles there, but he had never heard of Wesley Callahan. Her mother's name was Nancy Jane Collins. I found her on the 1880 Census with her mother Rhoda McGuire/McQuire Collins, widow of Callahan Collins. I also found her and Myrtle on the 1880 Census, along with son William Samuel Petty and her husband W.E. Walls.

      Myrtle often spoke of how kind Mr. Walls was to them. She said he had been in the Civil War. She was very young when her mother died probably around seven years old. She remembered her mother's funeral and wondering what was going to happen to her.

      I have listed Wesley Callahan Weddle on my Ancestry tree, but have no proof of his existence.

      Her mother died when she was very young and went to live with her brother George Washington Collins in Montague County, Texas, where she was living when she met Jesse. I have not found Myrtle or George W. on the 1910 census. I'm in the process of going through the census records, precinct by precinct, trying to find her listed with the George Collins family.