Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Finding native american heritage

  • Louise
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 11, 2009
      We found out that our great great grandmother was adopted off the Trail of Tears so we also have a similar problem. Have no idea where to look, etc.

      Never forget that there is always a blue sky and shining sun above the darkest clouds.

      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 12, 2009
        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, veggykid15@... wrote:

        > Hi everyone,
        >

        > I have a family story that has one of my ancestor benign native American. I am trying to find out if this story is true or not, but I have never done any research like this and I was wondering if anyone has done it. Does anyone have any ideas of where I can start looking for my ancestor?
        >
        > Lauren

        Lauren, depending on the timeframe you are looking fo.. you might want to check the census records as a starting place. Some of the native americans were originally enumerated in a seperate listing onn the bcensus. Another place to check might be the Dawes commission records if they were part of the five tribes nthat were relocated to "Indian Territory" now known as Nebraska.
        Happy Hunting!
        Sharon
      • Karen Minnemeyer
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 12, 2009
          Lauren:

          Do you know what tribe or what area of the country.  There are Native American rolls if the tribe was relocated.  If your ancestor was Cherokee you can contact the Cherokee Nation of South Carolina or Oklahoma depending on whether or not the family made the forced move to Oklahoma from the Carolinas.  Both keep very good records, however, they do want a time period, name, and as much information as you can give.

          Karen

          Karen E. Minnemeyer
          kamiki1@...
          http://karensrootstobranches.org
          http://kamiki2.tribalpages.com
          http://kamiki.tribalpages.com

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 12, 2009
            Louise:

            I too have an ancestor that stopped in Indiana on the forced move west.  She was Shawnee.  We have photos of her as an adult and that is all.  I have never been able to pinpoint her exact birth or even when she married.

            From: veggykid15@aol. com <veggykid15@aol. com>

            To: genealogyresearchcl ub@yahoogroups. com

            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 12, 2009
              Go to NARA.com or dawes roll.com

              I have a family story that has one of my ancestor benign native American. I am trying to find out if this story is true or not, but I have never done any research like this and I was wondering if anyone has done it. Does anyone have any ideas of where I can start looking for my ancestor?

              Thanks,

              Lauren Mack

            • Lois Edwards
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 14, 2009
                Do you have a name? I have a couple of books I can check. Lois

                > grandmother was adopted off the Trail of Tears so we also
                > have a similar problem. Have no idea where to look, etc.
                >

                > Never forget that there is always a blue sky and shining
                > sun above the darkest clouds.
                >

                > --- On Sun, 10/11/09, veggykid15@...
                > <veggykid15@...>
                > wrote:
                >

                > From: veggykid15@...
                > <veggykid15@...>
                > Subject: [Genealogy Research Club] Finding native american
                > heritage
                > To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
                > Date: Sunday, October 11, 2009, 4:30 PM
                >

                > Hi everyone,
                >
                > I have a family story that has one of my ancestor benign
                > native American. I am trying to find out if this story is
                > true or not, but I have never done any research like this
                > and I was wondering if anyone has done it. Does anyone have
                > any ideas of where I can start looking for my ancestor?
                >
                > Thanks,
                >
                > Lauren Mack

                >     mailto:genealogyresearchclub-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              • Lois Edwards
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 14, 2009
                  One thing I have noticed, is they are sometimes listed as Mulatto or free person of color on the census. The next census may say white.