Russell Family ancestry

  • momtomany2001
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 11, 2009
      I'm trying to find a link for my husband's grandfather, Lewis Jasper Russell who was born in Arkansas February 8, 1850. He died October 28, 1925 in Montague County, Texas. He lived in Erath County, Texas in 1880 and in Elk, Washita, Oklahoma in 1900. His census records show that his parents were born in Tennessee.'

      He first married Martha Hodges, born 1854 in Texas, died between 1881 and 1885. Their children were Henry, Mary Lucinda, Matilda E, Niley Tennesse (daughter)

      He then married Rachel Vanara Waits in September 1998 in Sulphur Springs, TX. She was born October 13, 1851 in Marshall County, Mississippi and died June 28 1933 in Claude, Armstrong, TX. Their children were Martha Addie, Lewis Jasper, Jr., Jesse Anderson Russell, my husband's father.

      Jesse married Myrtle Edna Weddle in 1914 in Montague County, Texas. Myrtle's father is another mystery, but will hold that for another time.

      From earlier research done by an extended family member, we believe Lewis Jasper, Sr. had sisters named Mary and Polly or one named Mary Polly and a brother named Jessie. I know these are not unusual names, but they are found in both genealogies.

      My husband's father died a few months after we were married and the ensuing years were occupied by family and work. I only began my search after both his parents and his three older siblings were gone. No one now living knows anything about a family Bible, or any of the family history beyond their father.

      I have searched intermittently for a link to earlier Russells. The following people are the nearest I have come to possible ancestors. I know it is a lot to ask, but if anyone can help me, I will be very grateful.
      ---------------------

      1. William Russell-1 was born between 1672-1703. He died between 1729-1787 in Pittsylvania County, Virginia.
      William Russell and unknown spouse married. They had the following children:
      2. i. George Russell was born in 1720 in Loudoun County, Virginia. He died between 1796-1797 in Grainger County, Tennessee.

      Generation 2
      2. George Russell-2 (William-1) was born in 1720 in Loudoun County, Virginia. He died between 1796-1797 in Grainger County, Tennessee.
      Elizabeth "Eliza" Bean was born on 17 Nov 1723 in Northumberland County, Virginia.
      George Russell and Elizabeth "Eliza" Bean married. They had the following children:
      i. George Russell was born between 1740-1750. He died between 1747-1847.
      ii. Willilam Russell was born in 1750. He died on 13 Dec 1804 in Dickson County, Tennessee.
      iii. Sarah Russell was born in 1760. She died on 05 Nov 1857 in MdMinn County, Tennessee.
      iv. Lydia Russell was born about 1764. She died about 1824 in Rhea County, Tennessee.
      v. Mary Russell was born in 1768. She died in 1829.
      vi. Jemima Russell was born in 1770 in Wautauga Settlement, Eastern, Tennessee. She died between 1851-1859 in Perry County, Tennessee.
      3. vii. Lewis R Russell[1, 2, 3] was born on 05 Apr 1774 in Wautauga
      Settlement,Eastern,Tennessee[3]. He died on 17 Jun 1855 in Denton County,Texas[3].
      viii. Elizabeth Russell was born in 1775 in Wautauga Settlement, Tennessee. She died in 1820 in Perry County, Tennessee.

      Generation 3
      3. Lewis R Russell-3 (George-2, William-1)[1, 2, 3] was born on 05 Apr 1774 in Wautauga Settlement,Eastern,Tennessee[3]. He died on 17 Jun 1855 in Denton County,Texas[3].
      Esther Horner daughter of William Horner and Elizabeth Allred[4] was born in Washington County, Later Jefferson County, Tennessee[4]. She died on 17 Jun 1855 in Franklin County, Arkansas[4].
      Lewis R Russell and Esther Horner married. They had the following children:
      i. Robert Russell was born in 1800. He died in 1840.
      ii. Harriet Elizabeth Russell was born in 1800. She died in 1850.
      iii. Uriah Russell was born in 1803.
      iv. Elizabeth Miriam "Betsy" Russell was born in 1805 in Tennessee. She died in 1880 in Bickle Cove, Stone, Arkansas.
      v. Lewis Russell was born in 1806 in Dickson County, Tennessee. He died in 1869 in Green Forest, Carroll, Arkansas.
      vi. George Horner Russell was born in 1807. He died in 1860.
      vii. Mary "Polly" Russell was born in 1810. She died in 1886.
      viii. Susan Russell was born in 1810. She died in 1860.
    • Bloodhound (genealogy); Kermit (alt.nick)
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 12, 2009
        > 1880 Erath County, Texas
        > Russell, Louis J/30:AR:TN:TN, Martha/26,
        > (), William H/8, Mary L/6, Matilda E/3, Tennessee/1
        >
        > 1900 Elk, Washita, Oklahoma
        > Russell, Lewis/50:AR:TN:TN/Feb1850, Rachel/48,
        > (), Martha A/13, Lewis J/11, Jesse A/6/Mar1894
        > Maxwell, John S/18

        How about this one? It looks good -

        1860 Boston Twp, Franklin, Arkansas
        Russel, W/50:TN/farmer, Lucinda/40:TN, George/16:AR,
        (), Jessee/13:AR, Louis/10:AR, Sarah/6:AR, Elvira/3:AR, Polly/1:AR

        1850 Mulberry, Johnson, Arkansas
        Russle, William/37:TN?/farmer, Lucinda/25:TN,
        (), George W/7:AR, Jesse/3:AR, Louis D/5m:AR

        > sisters named Mary and Polly or one named Mary Polly

        Please keep in mind that, for whatever reason,
        Polly is a 'nickname' for Mary -
        http://genealogy.about.com/cs/surname/a/nicknames.htm

        > Jesse married Myrtle Edna Weddle in 1914 in Montague County
        >
        > 1920 Justice Precinct 1, Montague, Texas
        > Russell, Jesse A/25, Myrtle E/23:TX:TX:MS,
        > (), Clova V/5, Samuel D/2+8m, L A/7m

        - Tom Knox

        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "momtomany2001" <farussell@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > Esther Horner daughter of William Horner and Elizabeth Allred[4] was born in Washington County, Later Jefferson County, Tennessee[4]. She died on 17 Jun 1855 in Franklin County, Arkansas[4].
        > Lewis R Russell and Esther Horner married. They had the following children:
        > i. Robert Russell was born in 1800. He died in 1840.
        > ii. Harriet Elizabeth Russell was born in 1800. She died in 1850.
        > iii. Uriah Russell was born in 1803.
        > iv. Elizabeth Miriam "Betsy" Russell was born in 1805 in Tennessee. She died in 1880 in Bickle Cove, Stone, Arkansas.
        > v. Lewis Russell was born in 1806 in Dickson County, Tennessee. He died in 1869 in Green Forest, Carroll, Arkansas.
        > vi. George Horner Russell was born in 1807. He died in 1860.
        > vii. Mary "Polly" Russell was born in 1810. She died in 1886.
        > viii. Susan Russell was born in 1810. She died in 1860.

      • Frances Russell
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 13, 2009
          Tom, thanks very much for the two Arkansas census records. They look very promising. I'll check them out.

          Thanks for the information on Myrtle and Jesse. I have that. The mystery is with Myrtle's father. She died several years ago but she always believed that her father's name was Wesley Calahan Weddle. I have never been able to find any Weddle that connected with her. I have corresponded with a gentleman who has a web site on MyFamily and there are many Weddles there, but he had never heard of Wesley Callahan. Her mother's name was Nancy Jane Collins. I found her on the 1880 Census with her mother Rhoda McGuire/McQuire Collins, widow of Callahan Collins. I also found her and Myrtle on the 1880 Census, along with son William Samuel Petty and her husband W.E. Walls.

          Myrtle often spoke of how kind Mr. Walls was to them. She said he had been in the Civil War. She was very young when her mother died probably around seven years old. She remembered her mother's funeral and wondering what was going to happen to her.

          I have listed Wesley Callahan Weddle on my Ancestry tree, but have no proof of his existence.

          Her mother died when she was very young and went to live with her brother George Washington Collins in Montague County, Texas, where she was living when she met Jesse. I have not found Myrtle or George W. on the 1910 census. I'm in the process of going through the census records, precinct by precinct, trying to find her listed with the George Collins family.