Need help with Christiana Coleman b. 1848, Kanawha Co., (W)Va.

  • Chris sparks
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 6, 2009
      Looking for anything on the family below. Supposedly Christiana's parents were James Thomas and Lucinda (Estep) Coleman. I have alot on Lucinda but nothing on James. Thank you all in advance. This group is great. I am glad to be a member.
      P.S. All persons living know I list them on my file.

      Descendants of Christiana Coleman

      1 Christiana Coleman b: 1848 in kanawha co.,wv d: 1880 in kanawha co.,wv
      +Lewis Melvin Oxier b: 1848 in kanawha co.,wv m: April 04, 1869 in Kanawha County, WV
      Father: Adam Bush Oxier Mother: Nancy Estep d: June 06, 1934 in Valley Head, (Swickers Ridge), Randolph County, WV
      2 Angela Nancy Oxier b: May 18, 1870 in nicholas co.,wv. d: June 29, 1953 in Cowan, Webster County, West Virginia
      +James Henry Sparks b: 1861 in Nicholas Co., (West) Virginia m: February 23, 1884 in Nicholas Co.,WV Father: Uriah Robert Sparks Mother: Jane C. Morris d: 1953 in Richwood, West Virginia
      3 James Sylvester Sparks b: December 02, 1889 in Nicholas County, Virginia d: September 18, 1953 in Richwood, Beaver District, Nicholas County, West Virginia.
      +Lilly Edna Anderson b: 1895 Father: Robert Daniel Anderson Mother: Nancy Susan Pugh
      4 Waymon Sparks
      4 Joanne Sparks
      4 Virginia Sparks
      4 Audra Sparks
      4 Denver Sparks d: January 2006
      4 Wilda Sparks
      4 James Sparks
      4 Chilton Ode Sparks b: September 17, 1914 in Hackers Valley,WV d: July 1984 in Dixie,WV
      +Hazel Ruth Cogar b: May 11, 1914 in Woodbine,WV Father: Elvin Cogar Mother: Sarah Jane Gillis d: November 1983 in Dixie,WV
      5 Lenore Sparks b: 1936 in Bolair,WV
      +Grant Hughes
      6 Ricky Hughes
      6 Glenna Hughes
      5 Donald Sparks b: 1939 in Dixie,Nicholas Co.,WV
      +Avis
      6 Debbie Sparks
      6 Donna Sparks
      6 Donnie Sparks
      5 Chilton Edwin Sparks b: February 17, 1937 in Bolair,WV
      +Sandra Cleo Childers b: September 30, 1943 m: May 14, 1959 in Maryland Father: Carl Hugheston Childers Mother: Helen Janese Taylor
      6 Cynthia Christine Sparks b: January 04, 1960 in Gauley Bridge,WV,
      7 Jeremy Edwin Gray b: October 31, 1976
      +Elizabeth Hall
      8 Zachary Gray
      7 Melinda Jane Hanshaw b: March 13, 1984
      8 Cameron Perry b: January 02, 2005
      6 Sandra E. Sparks b: August 05, 1961
      6 Edwina Sparks b: February 19, 1963
      +Jerald Flare
      7 Joshua Flare
      7 Jessica Flare
      6 Sarah Sparks b: May 25, 1968
      3 Willard Jennings Sparks b: February 06, 1906 d: October 07, 1986
      +Nona Pearl Hanna b: March 11, 1915 d: January 2006
      4 Gloria Angelia Sparks b: February 18, 1946
      +Danny Keith Hopkins
      5 Tammie Darlene Hopkins
      5 Kimberly Sue Hopkins
      5 Brandy Nicole Hopkins
      5 Terri Lynn Hopkins
      5 Angela Dawn Hopkins
      5 Daniel Keith Hopkins
      4 Joyce Carol Sparks
      4 Fredrick Jennings Sparks
      4 Bonnie Clara Sparks
      4 Phyllis Jean Sparks
      4 Susan Eulene Sparks
      3 Alice Sparks
      3 Elmer Sparks
      3 Lola Sparks
      3 Sherman Sparks
      3 Dewey Sparks
      3 Laura Sparks
      3 Esker Sparks
      3 Elden Sparks
      2 James Oxier b: 1874
      2 Isabelle Florence Oxier b: 1871
      2 Jeneva Alice Oxier

      Chris

      Chris

    • Bloodhound (genealogy); Kermit (alt.nick)
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 6, 2009
        Here's some information on her parents James & Lucinda -
        not his parents, but his ages in censuses gives est. birthyear -

        Virginia Marriages, 1740-1850
        Groom Name: James Coleman
        Bride Name: Lucinda Estep
        Marriage Date: 5 Jan 1846
        County: Kanawha, Virginia

        1850 District 29, Kanawha, Virginia
        Coleman, James, 50 Farmer (all are dittoed as born VA)
        (), Lucinda/17, Christianna/2, Christian/1m

        1860 Walton, Roane, Virginia (all marked born VA)
        Coleman, James/60/farmer, Lucinda/28, Christina/12, Christian/10,
        (), Kenan/8, James K/6, Alexander/3, Mary/2

        1870 Walton, Roane, West Virginia
        Coleman, Jas/71:VA/farmer, Lucinda/40:WV, Therman/18, Christian/20,
        (), Lloyd/9, Mercy A/11, Langa C/7, Mary E/5, Jefferson D/2

        1880 Walton, Roane, West Virginia
        Coleman, Jas/82:VA/farmer, Lucinda/51:WV, Mercie A/21, Floyed R/19,
        (), Leanzie C/16, Mary E/15, Jefferson D/13, Sarah E/10, Mahala E/8
        (next door to household of Wm & Mary Estep)

        "Public Member Story" found on Ancestry.com, member "annecoxrn"
        NOTE: "family folklore" can be difficult to evaluate.
        > James came to the USA from Ireland with his brothers Benjamin and Timothy and settled first in Kentucky. It is said that they were the founders of a city in Kentucky, but that they were someway hoodwinked out of their positions of authority and moved on. James settled in Charleston, W. Va. Area. It was here that he met and married Lucinda Estep who was about 33 years younger than he. Apparently, she was on 13 years old at the time they were married. 1850 W. Virginia census records show a household with a James Coleman listed as age 50 and a Lucinda, age 17. There were two children listed under this household, Christiana, age 2 and Christian, age 1 month. Ola Gridley speaks of knowing most of the children in this family, including a boy, named Chris.

        - Tom Knox

        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Chris sparks <cynthia_sparks2002@...> wrote:

        > Looking for anything on the family below. Supposedly Christiana's parents were James Thomas and Lucinda (Estep) Coleman. I have alot on Lucinda but nothing on James. Thank you all in advance. This group is great. I am glad to be a member.
        > P.S. All persons living know I list them on my file.
        >

        > Descendants of Christiana Coleman
        >
        > 1 Christiana Coleman b: 1848 in kanawha co.,wv d: 1880 in kanawha co.,wv
        > +Lewis Melvin Oxier b: 1848 in kanawha co.,wv m: April 04, 1869 in Kanawha County, WV
        > Father: Adam Bush Oxier Mother: Nancy Estep d: June 06, 1934 in Valley Head, (Swickers Ridge), Randolph County, WV
        > 2 Angela Nancy Oxier b: May 18, 1870 in nicholas co.,wv. d: June 29, 1953 in Cowan, Webster County, West Virginia
        > +James Henry Sparks b: 1861 in Nicholas Co., (West) Virginia m: February 23, 1884 in Nicholas Co.,WV Father: Uriah Robert Sparks Mother: Jane C. Morris d: 1953 in Richwood, West Virginia
        > 3 James Sylvester Sparks b: December 02, 1889 in Nicholas County, Virginia d: September 18, 1953 in Richwood, Beaver District, Nicholas County, West Virginia.
        > +Lilly Edna Anderson b: 1895 Father: Robert Daniel Anderson Mother: Nancy Susan Pugh
        > 3 Willard Jennings Sparks b: February 06, 1906 d: October 07, 1986
        > +Nona Pearl Hanna b: March 11, 1915 d: January 2006
        > 3 Alice Sparks
        > 3 Elmer Sparks
        > 3 Lola Sparks
        > 3 Sherman Sparks
        > 3 Dewey Sparks
        > 3 Laura Sparks
        > 3 Esker Sparks
        > 3 Elden Sparks
        > 2 James Oxier b: 1874
        > 2 Isabelle Florence Oxier b: 1871
        > 2 Jeneva Alice Oxier
        >
        > Chris
      • Chris sparks
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 6, 2009
          Thank you so much. Send all you find.

          Chris

          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 7, 2009
            Chris -

            For some reason, I received the message below through Ancestry.com -
            the link goes to the image of the 1870 census for Jas. Coleman -
            I don't know if the link will work when shared this way -

            http://tinyurl.com/yahqm5v

            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 8, 2009
              Thank you, if you run acroos anything else please send.

            • ck4evr@aol.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 8, 2009
                I have info on Samuel and William out of VA in 1700's. If it connects let me know
                Kathleen ck4evr@...

                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 9, 2009
                  William's Dad was supposed to be Ernest and Ernest's Dad is supposed to be Samuel. Please send me what you have so I can correct my file. Thank you.

                  Chris

                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 10, 2009
                    All my Coleman info:

                    COLEMAN -

                    Name Meaning & Origin

                    Definition: 1) An occupational name, a coleman was a man who gathered charcoal (from Old English "col," coal and "mann," man) or, sometimes, a name for the personal servant of a man named Cole. 2) A patronymic name from the Old Irish given name Colman, from Columbun (from Latin columba, meaning "dove").

                    Surname Origin: English, Scottish

                    Though families called Coleman are known to have settled in Ireland as early as the thirteenth century, having come from England, where the name is numerous, Coleman in Ireland almost always denotes a Gaelic origin. The sept of O Colmain a branch of the Ui Fiachrach, was located in the barony of Tireach, Co. Sligo, and representatives of it are still living in north Connacht. Colemans, however, are more numerous in Co. Cork. These are of a sept called O Clumhain in Irish which, like the foregoing, originated in Co. Sligo. The branch of it which migrated to Munster became numerically strong. Indeed they are even more numerous than would appear from statistics at first sight, because O Clumhain has also been anglicized Clifford and there are many Cliffords in Kerry and Cork. Clifford, like Coleman, is a well known indigenous surname in England, but only a small proportion of Irish Cliffords are of English origin.

                    While the Anglicized versions of Irish names are familiar to most people, many Irish names have a long and proud Gaelic heritage that is often unknown. The original Gaelic form20of the name Coleman is O Colmain, which means son of Colman; the name Colman is in turn derived from the word "colm," which means "dove."

                    Spelling variations include: Colman, Coleman, O'Colman, MacColeman, McColeman, Coalman, Coulman, Colemen, Colmen, Coalmen, Colmin, Colmen, Coulmen, Coulmin, Colemin and many more.

                    First found in county Sligo where they were a sept of O'Colmain, a branch of Hy Fiachrach.

                    Some of the first settlers of this name or some of its variants were: Thomas Coleman, who arrived in America from Marlborough in Wiltshire, England; Thomas Coleman settled in Newbury, and later Boston, Massachusetts. He was under contract, but not indentured to Sir Richard Saltonstall, to keep his cattle.

                    Generation One: JAMES COLEMAN

                    James Coleman was born about 1580-1622 in England. James had 2 sons: Robert and William.

                    Generation Two: ROBERT COLEMAN

                    Robert Coleman, born 1620-1625 in England, died after May 1682 in Tindalls Point, Gloucester County, Virginia. Robert married Elizabeth Grizzell-Mott, daughter of William Grizzell, about 1650-1655 in Essex County, Virginia. Elizabeth Grizzell was born 1622-1630 in England. Robert came to America on March 2, 1638 as a headright of Thomas Symons, who received a grant of 250 acres for transporting 5 people from England to America. He landed at Upper Norfolk County in Virginia and eventually settled near Mobjack Bay in Gloucester County, Virginia. He acquired over 700 acres of land. Robert and Elizabeth Coleman had
                    6 children: Thomas, Robert, Joseph, Grizzell, Daniel and John.

                    ROBERT COLEMAN, THE IMMIGRANT,

                    OF MOBJACK BAY, GLOUCESTER COUNTY, VIRGINIA

                        No evidence has been found in any Virginia records to indicate the year of Robert Coleman’s birth, but his birth year has traditionally been estimated as ca. 1622.  Robert’s name first appeared in the records of the colony on a headright list from Upper Norfolk County on 2 Mar 1638.  He was listed as a headright of Thomas Symons.  Although the headright list was dated 1638, Robert was probably in the colony at least by 1637.

                        The Coleman brothers made their way to York County before 1645.  They may have traveled overland, but more likely went by boat.  Virginia was a true wilderness in those days, heavily forested and occupied by Indians and wild animals.  Traveling in small parties would have been safe enough by boat.  Larger groups of settlers could travel overland with relative safety, depending on their number.

                    York County is likely where the Coleman brothers met and married their wives.  Settlers throughout the Virginia colony had crowded into York in anticipation of the eventual opening of Indian lands to the north.  Neither Gloucester nor Lancaster counties were open for white settlement until 1649, and all three brothers appear to have been married by that year.

                    York County is also where Robert Coleman became good friends with Thomas Ray, although the strong possibility exists t
                    hat Thomas Ray was a cousin of the Colemans.

                      Thomas Ray was named Godfather to Robert’s oldest surviving son, Thomas Coleman.

                    Ann:

                    Edward:

                    Elizabeth Leek Betsy:

                    James:

                    John:

                    Richard:

                    Robert:

                    Samuel: Lieutenant Samuel:

                    Samuel Coleman was born in Albermarle County VA in 1752. He entered service from Albermarle County VA and maintained Albertmarle County as his residence all the time he was in the Revolutionary War. He was a little over twenty years of age and served for seven years in the Virginia Continental Line, being discharged in 1783.

                    Records at Washington D.C. show that he served with Captain John Marks' Co in the 14th Virginia Regiment of Food commanded by col. Charles Lewis and that he saw service at Valley Forge. He also was at Camp Middlebrook and Smiths' Grove during the war. After his discharge from service he came back to Albermarle County VA and married Milley Coffey, daughter of William Coffey in March 1785, Albermarle County VA. His marriage is recorded in the Albermarle County VA Historical Society Papers. The Va. Gazette, Williamsburg, Nov. 27, 1778 published in National Genealogical Society Quarterly, Vol. 10, Nos. 1 and 2, pp. 80, 85

                    A list of men that were taken prisoners by the British, belonging to the 1st Va. regiment taken on board the Muskio, and part of whom we pressed on board King's ships:  William Graves and William Coleman, Serjeants

                    Samuel Coleman/Ann Mourning Christian married

                    17 Jul. 1731, Goo
                    chland Co., VA.

                    Samuel Coleman b. 1706 Petworth Parish, Gloucester Co., VA. d. Will dated 1 Apr. 1748, admitted to probate 20 Sept. 1748 in Goochland Co., VA

                    Ann, Born 1712 and died 1766, was the daughter of Thomas Christian and Rebecca New. On 17 May 1737, the will of Thomas Christian was probated and mentions his daughter Ann Coleman (Goochland Co., WB3, p.32) The will of Samuel Coleman names wife Ann, Sons James, Samuel, John and Daniel. Executors were Ann Coleman and Jacob Oglesby. Witnesses were Robert Woodson, Jno. Wright and John Prior.

                    From the Petsworth Parish Vestry Book, Gloucester Co., VA 1677-1793, p.213: 3 Feb 1728 An indenture between Samuel Coleman and the Churchwardens to bind out the son of Mary Nettles, 14yrs old George Nettles, to Samuel Coleman. Samuel and his heirs were obliged to give George Nettles three years of schooling or to "carefully teach" that he may read perfectly in the Bible. They were also to provide him with sufficient meat, drink, washing, lodging and apparel, and to teach hime a trade or business so that he did not become a burden on the Parish. It is interesting to note that the 1728 indenture was for a period of three years, and Samuel married Ann Mourning Christian 1731, three years after the initial indenture.

                    Certified copy of Family Court records in F.C.D.A. Library

                    "Samuel Coleman was born in Albermarle County VA in 1752. He entered service from Albermarle County VA and maintained Albertmarle County as his res
                    idence all the time he was in the Revolutionary War. He was a little over twenty years of age and served for seven years in the Virginia Continental Line, being discharged in 1783."

                    Records at Washington D.C. show that he served with Captain John Marks' Co in the 14th Virginia Regiment of Food commanded by col. Charles Lewis and that he saw service at Valley Forge. He also was at Camp Middlebrook and Smiths' Grove during the war. After his discharge from service he came back to Albermarle County VA and married Milley Coffey, daughter of William Coffey in March 1785, Albermarle County VA. His marriage is recorded in the Albermarle County VA Historical Society Papers.

                    Revolutionary War Records VIRGINIA

                    Section II (4), [Document No. 30--List No. I]

                    Coleman, Samuel Lieutenant Cont'l. 2666 2/3 Mar. 4, 1783 Jan. 13, 1775 to Feb. 15, 1783

                    Revolutionary War Records VIRGINIA

                    SECTION III

                    (21) Virginia Military Land Warrants

                    4692 Coleman, Samuel Lieut. 7th year

                    14th VIRGINIA REGIMENT

                    LINEAGE

                    [Wright, Continental Army, p. 291]

                    Authorized 16 September 1776 in the Continental Army as the 14th Virginia Regiment

                    Assigned 27 December 1776 to the Main Army

                    Organized 12 February 1777 to consist of ten companies from Halifax, Pittsylvania, Hanover, Bedford, Albemarle, Fincastle, Dinwiddie, Prince George, Goochland, Louisa, Charlotte, and Lunenburg Counties

                    Assigned 22 May 1777 to the 2d Virginia Brigade, an element of the Main Army

                    Reorganized 1 November 1777 to consist of
                    eight companies

                    Relieved 22 July 1778 from the 2d Virginia Brigade and assigned to the 1st Virginia Brigade, an element of the Main Army

                    Reorganized and redesignated 12 May 1779 as the 10th Virginia Regiment, to consist of nine companies

                    Relieved 4 December 1779 from the 1st Virginia Brigade and assigned to the Southern Department

                    Captured 12 May 1780 by the British Army at Charleston, South Carolina

                    Disbanded 1 January 1781

                    ENGAGEMENTS [Wright, Continental Army, p. 292]

                    Northern New Jersey

                    Defense of Philadelphia

                    Philadelphia-Monmouth

                    Charleston 1780

                    From: ck4evr@... <ck4evr@...>

                    To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com

                    Date: Thursday, October 8, 2009, 2:41 PM

                    I have info on Samuel and William out of VA in 1700's. If it connects let me know

                    Kathleen ck4evr@...=0

                    2001@ ...> wrote:

                    > From: Bloodhound (genealogy); Kermit (alt.nick) <tomknox2001@ ...>

                    > Subject: [Genealogy Research Club] Re: Need help with Christiana Coleman b. 1848, Kanawha Co., (W)Va.

                    > To: genealogyresearchcl ub@yahoogroups. com

                    > Date: Tuesday, October 6, 2009, 6:36 PM

                    > http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/genealogyr esearchclub/ message/13103

                    > Here's some information on her parents James & Lucinda -

                    > not his parents, but his ages in censuses gives est. birthyear -

                    > Virginia Marriages, 1740-1850

                    > Groom Name: James Coleman

                    > Bride Name: Lucinda Estep

                    > Marriage Date: 5 Jan 1846

                    > County: Kanawha, Virginia

                    > 1850 District 29, Kanawha, Virginia

                    > Coleman, James, 50 Farmer (all are dittoed as born VA)

                    > (), Lucinda/17, Christianna/ 2, Christian/1m

                    > 1860 Walton, Roane, Virginia (all marked born VA)

                    > Coleman, James/60/farmer, Lucinda/28, Christina/12, Christian/10,

                    > (), Kenan/8, James K/6, Alexander/3, Mary/2

                    > 1870 Walton, Roane, West Virginia

                    > Coleman, Jas/71:VA/farmer, Lucinda/40:WV, Therman/18, Christian/20,

                    > (), Lloyd/9, Mercy A/11, Langa C/7, Mary E/5, Jefferson D/2

                  • Rhonda C
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 10, 2009
                      I have a James Duncan Coleman(July 20, 1844 Earlien,Ky)in my family Nov 6, 1925 Edina,Mo in Masonic Cem his wife is Mary Matilda Tibbet.
                      and his father is John Daniel coleman (i don't have no date but a
                      Victor, W V thats all I know no spouse. I thought this James might but relate.

                    • Chris
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 7 4:48 PM
                        Do you still have this info? If so could you send it to me. Maybe they are connected to my James.

                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 10 8:20 PM
                          Yes please do