Still looking for Newmans

  • Chris sparks
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 24, 2009
      Thanks to Tom, I found out the Newmans were in
      1880 Mountain Cove, Fayette, WV
      The Pitzers were in
      1870 Second Creek, Monroe, WV
      Need info on the Newman Ancesters. The file someone gave me has got to be wrong cause it shows Ruth Walker as Irene's grandmother but she was born in 1894. Which there's no way with Irene born 1885. I've looked on Rootsweb and Ancestry.com and can find very little.

      Ellen LillyBelle Pitzer b: 20 JAN 1852
      + William NEWMAN b. 1840
      5 Irene (Snow Flake) NEWMAN b. 1885  d. 1988 supposedly full cherokee
      + George Garden CHILDERS b: 18 DEC 1876 d. 1964 (2) m. Anna Pullen
        The file shows Irene's grandparents as Ernest and Ruth (Walker) Newman. Ernest's   parents as Samuel and Laura (Williams) Newman.
      6 Carl Hugheston CHILDERS b. 1910 d. 1983
      + Helen Janese TAYLOR b. 1919
      7 Sandra CHILDERS b. 1943
      + Chilton SPARKS b. 1937

      Chris
      P.S. I do have permission to use the living names.

    • Bloodhound (genealogy); Kermit (alt.nick)
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 25, 2009
        No guarantees, but here's a William Newman in 1870 Putnam County -
        (same county as A J Childers in 1880) -

        1870 Grant Township, Putnam, WV
        Newman, Wm H/30:VA/farmer, Phebe E/15:VA, Samuel/4:WV, Susan/1:WV

        There are several possible William Newman (b.ca.1840 VA) in 1860 census.

        1860 Peterstown, Monroe, VA
        Pitzer, George W/36/Tailor, Martha A/32,
        (), Robert/12, Ellen/8, Thomas/5, Mary J/3

        I find several possible William Newman in 1850 census,
        but none appear with an ERNEST or RUTH.

        1850 District 39 and A Half, Monroe, VA
        Pitzer, George W/27:VA/Tailor, Martha A/22:VA, Robert/2:VA

        The only Ernest & Ruth Newman that I could find in VA/WV -
        1930 Malden, Kanawha, WV (all marked White born VA:VA:VA)
        Newman, Ernest/36/foreman/vet:no, Ruth/36,
        (), Charles/15, William/12, Irene/8,
        (), Geraldine/6, Dallas/3+8m, Jack B/4m
        NOTE: same household in 1920 Diamond, Kanawha, WV
        1910 Malden, Kanawha, WV
        Newman, Sam/42, Laura/34, Ernest/17, Jessie/14, & 5 more children
        NOTE:
        Looks like Ernest with wife Ruth, with his parents being Sam & Laura,
        and Ernest is father to a William and Irene.
        BUT - it's not YOUR William Newman!

        - Tom Knox