Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Massachusettes archives

  • debjack216@ameritech.net
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 12, 2009
      Brandy,
      Here is the info I wanted the obituary

      Alert Thomas Lightfoot is my fathers name and have only brought up minium info on him D.O.B 10/03/1927 D.O.D 10/27/1973 born in Lowell Massachusettes died in Lawrence, Mass
      His parents names are Thomas William Lightfoot {New York}&
      Florence (Florrie) Smith {Yorkshire,England}

      Thank you very much!
      Debra

      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Ms Brandy Sacco <eusbls@...> wrote:

      > Please provide more details, I will see what I can find.
      > Brandy

    • mccgram
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 13, 2009
        > > I am assuming you mean ALBERT, (not Alert) Lightfoot? as I am not seeing anything on an Alert.

      • Deb
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 19, 2009
          you assume right. I am so sorry for the type O

          Debra

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 21, 2009
            LOL, we all do it,, not to worry
          • Deb
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 26, 2009
              Do you know of anyone or any site that might be able to help me?

              --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "mccgram" <mccgram@...> wrote:

              > LOL, we all do it,, not to worry

            • Jean S
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 27, 2009
                Here is the web addy for the Tribune : http://plus.eagletribune.com/cgi-bin/etwwl06.pl?free+free+free+sec-etwwl06+lawrencelist.ss-wwl. They only post the obits online for 90 days from the first printing. They do have a contact us tab. Suggest you call/write/e-mail them to ask them if they might have a copy, somewhere of the paper going back to 1973. If so, then ask them if someone is available who would do a look-up for you for Albert's obit, or notice of his death for up to 2 weeks after his death (or for the entire month if you do not have the date of death.)

                Unfortunately, The Lowell Sun only goes back as far as 7/9/2002.
                I do not know if you live in the area of Lawrence or Lowell, Or even if you are in Mass at all. Otherwise I would suggest one of the libraries.
                Were you able to find Albert listed on the SSDI?? (Social Security Death Index). That will, at least, confirm his DoD, the you can order a copy of his SS-5.

                Jean

                --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Deb" <debjack216@...> wrote:

                > Do you know of anyone or any site that might be able to help me?
                >
                > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "mccgram" <mccgram@> wrote:
                > >
                > > LOL, we all do it,, not to worry

              • Deb
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 27, 2009
                  Thank you I will check it out. What is SS5?
                  I will email the paper asap. I live in Ohio and I don't go back that often.

                  --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Jean S" <realmomabear@...> wrote:

                  > Here is the web addy for the Tribune : http://plus.eagletribune.com/cgi-bin/etwwl06.pl?free+free+free+sec-etwwl06+lawrencelist.ss-wwl. They only post the obits online for 90 days from the first printing. They do have a contact us tab. Suggest you call/write/e-mail them to ask them if they might have a copy, somewhere of the paper going back to 1973. If so, then ask them if someone is available who would do a look-up for you for Albert's obit, or notice of his death for up to 2 weeks after his death (or for the entire month if you do not have the date of death.)
                  >
                  > Unfortunately, The Lowell Sun only goes back as far as 7/9/2002.
                  > I do not know if you live in the area of Lawrence or Lowell, Or even if you are in Mass at all. Otherwise I would suggest one of the libraries.
                  > Were you able to find Albert listed on the SSDI?? (Social Security Death Index). That will, at least, confirm his DoD, the you can order a copy of his SS-5.
                  >
                  > Jean
                  >
                  > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Deb" <debjack216@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Do you know of anyone or any site that might be able to help me?
                  > >
                  > > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "mccgram" <mccgram@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > LOL, we all do it,, not to worry

                • Jean S
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 28, 2009
                    The SS-5 is the Application for Social Security Card form that everyone has to complete in order to get a social security number. It has lots of information in the ancestors handwriting.
                    Unfortunatly the cost is $27 for a copy of the original form or $16 for something called a Numident(an abstract) printout. You'll have to complete the ssa-711 form from ssa (link is below), complete it and then send it in.

                    The information about this can be found at http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/ssa.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=118&p_created=955556648&p_sid=t47LM59i&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9NyZwX3Byb2RzPSZwX2NhdHM9MTA5LDIyJnBfcHY9JnBfY3Y9Mi4yMiZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPWFuc3dlcnMuc2VhcmNoX25sJnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=&p_topview=1

                    The SSA-711 can be found at http://www.socialsecurity.gov/online/ssa-711.pdf

                    Hope this helps,

                    Jean

                    --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Deb" <debjack216@...> wrote:

                    > Thank you I will check it out. What is SS5?
                    > I will email the paper asap. I live in Ohio and I don't go back that often.
                    >

                    > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Jean S" <realmomabear@> wrote:
                    > >

                    > > Here is the web addy for the Tribune : http://plus.eagletribune.com/cgi-bin/etwwl06.pl?free+free+free+sec-etwwl06+lawrencelist.ss-wwl. They only post the obits online for 90 days from the first printing. They do have a contact us tab. Suggest you call/write/e-mail them to ask them if they might have a copy, somewhere of the paper going back to 1973. If so, then ask them if someone is available who would do a look-up for you for Albert's obit, or notice of his death for up to 2 weeks after his death (or for the entire month if you do not have the date of death.)
                    > >
                    > > Unfortunately, The Lowell Sun only goes back as far as 7/9/2002.
                    > > I do not know if you live in the area of Lawrence or Lowell, Or even if you are in Mass at all. Otherwise I would suggest one of the libraries.
                    > > Were you able to find Albert listed on the SSDI?? (Social Security Death Index). That will, at least, confirm his DoD, the you can order a copy of his SS-5.
                    > >
                    > > Jean
                    > >
                    > > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Deb" <debjack216@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Do you know of anyone or any site that might be able to help me?

                  • Mary E. Conley
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 29, 2009
                      The visited the library in Lowell Massachusetts 2 years ago and they had microfilm that goes back a long way.  My McCracken family lived there and I found my gr-gr-grandmother's obit as well as one of their daughters.  They also have an online website but you have to be at the library or have a local library card, or that was the rules then.

                      Mary
                      Roseville, California