Help finding descendants of Hawkins Bishop and Alex Bishop

  • Nancy
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2009
      Good morning!
      I am new to this group, and wanted to share one of my brick walls in the
      hopes that someone out there will maybe already have this information and
      can share it, or might be able to help me find it.
      I have been researching the Bishop family for many years now, (my
      husband's), and throughout this time, two of his great uncles have always
      been a mystery to me. I began to partially get one of them untangled, about
      2 years ago or so, and found another mystery in it's place. The two men I am
      referring to are Hawkins Bishop and Alex Bishop. Both of these are children
      of Miles Bishop and Nancy Jane Matney. I have Hawkins death date, and the
      story of his murder in 1933, and also his grave location. With him, what I
      am trying to find is his descendants. I learned of an illigitamate son,
      named Henry Hawkins Bishop, in Ashland, Kentucky, my husband and I found his
      and his wife's graves just this past week on a job hunting trip. I am
      looking for descendants of Hawkins either through him, or through the
      children he had with his wife, Stella Ferrill.
      Here's what I have on him:

      Descendants of Hawkins Bishop?
      Generation No. 1
      1. HAWKINS8 BISHOP (MILES7, WILLIAM E. SR.6, GEORGE5, HANS JOHANNES4
      BISCHOFF, HANS JAKOB3, GEORGE HINNRICH2, HANS JAKOBS1) was born March 31,
      1873 in Pike County Kentucky, and died Bef. March 25, 1936. He met (1) EMMA
      MAY PORTER, daughter of BARNETT PORTER and TABITHA MCCARTY. She was born
      January 29, 1868 in Brushy Fork, Elliott, KY, and died January 30, 1916 in
      Boyd, Kentucky. He married (2) GLADYS STELLA FERRELL June 20, 1900 in Mingo
      County, West Virginia. She was born May 12, 1883, and died February 17,
      1920.
      While in Morgan County Kentucky doing some research on Nove mber 20, 2001,my
      husband and I came across the following i nformation. We are at this time,
      (about a week later) unsure as to what it's meaning is. I will include more
      when I get further info on this.
      From the county clerk's tax sale books: Tax bill # 534- Alex Bishop- year's
      tax due- 2000; $99.62; Redeamed 7-31-01 by Wendell Dehaven ; paid to clerk.
      Tax bill #538; Hawkins Bishop, year's tax due- 2000; $100.06; Redeemed
      7-31-01 by Wendell Dehaven; paid to clerk.
      Page #'s are- 127, 130, 133-136 for both Alex and Hawkins names. If memory
      serves me correctly , I believe that these pages were all in the same book.
      In County Clerk's office- (I failed to write down the bookn umbers!!!!!!!!
      but did write down the page #'s- can reference the book#'s back in later
      when get more info)- page 127 - Hawkins Bishop- Tax Bill # 3655- 1-1-1954-
      taxes due for year 1953- 30 A NR; valuation 300- School tax=$4.50; Count y
      tax=$1.50; State Tax=.15; Road tax=.06; Total tax=$7.05; Penalty of 6 %=.42;
      Sherriff Comission of 6%=$2.45; Total Sold for=$9.92; PURCHASED BY STATE AND
      COUNTY-12- 6-1955; JULI ANGOBBARD-ATTOURNY FOR HEIRS OF HAWKINS BISHOP; paid
      to clerk Austin Hill.
      Tax Bill #: 3670- Hawkins Bishop- 30 A Non Resident 3669- A lex Bishop- 30 A
      Non Resident Both properties were due fo r tax year 1954; each was sold for
      $11.11;redeemed on 12-6- 1955 ; by Julian Gobbard; attourney for heirs of
      HawkinsBis hop and Attourney for heirs of Alex Bis hop.
      Tax Bill #: 2802- Alex Bishop- 30 A Non Res 2803- Hawkins Bishop- 30 A Non
      Res- Both properties were due for tax year 1955; each was sold for $11.11;
      valuation of each was $360.00; in the column where it says by whom purchased
      simply says state and county; There are no further notes at all , nothing is
      mentioned about the attourney this time.
      Tax Bill# 538916- Hawkins Bishop- 30 A Non Res; 538915- Ale x Bishop- 30 A
      Non Res; Both properties are due for tax year 1956; each was sold for $11.33
      each- but this time the re is nothing in any of the columns such as
      purchasedby, or redeemed by, all are blank for both- no further notes at
      all. This is also the last set of these that I found on this trip, other
      than the ones first mentioned above with taxes due for the year 2000. If
      there are more, I hope to locate them on the next trip down.
      Also, to be noted here, there is one further record, I will note here and
      under Lawrence Dow' s page, because it pertains also to tax records, and
      unfortunately, this makes our findings all the more confusing.
      This is dated 3-1-1949, page 114 bk ?? L.D. Bishop- 30 A NR - year tax due
      was 1948; Valuation 330; SchoolTax=4.90; Cou nty tax=1.65 ; State tax=.17;
      Road tax=.66; total due=$7.43 ;6% penalty=.45; Sherriff fee=$2.00; Dist.?
      Fee =.48; total amount sold for=$10.36. Land and town lots sold by Kenneth
      Fairchild for nonpayment of taxes. This record does not say anything
      concerning the purchased by, or redeemed by, nor any other notes at all.
      ?
      1930 Logan County West Va Census- Stella Bishop- living with mother Nora
      Spurlock-
      Stella B Bishop Age: 40 years Estimated birth year: 1889 Birthplace: West
      Virginia Relation: Head Race: White Home in 1930: Logan County, Logan
      County, West Virginia Nora Spurlock Age: 54 years Estimated birth year: 1875
      Birthplace: West Virginia Relation: Mother Race: White Home in 1930: Logan
      County, Logan County, West Virginia
      Howk Bishop Age: 52 years Estimated birth year: 1877 Birthplace: Kentucky
      Relation: Father Race: White Home in 1930: Logan County, Logan County, West
      Virginia
      William A Mitchell Age: 23 years Estimated birth year: 1906 Birthplace:
      Pennsylvania Relation: Head Race: White Home in 1930: Logan County, Logan
      County, West Virginia
      Name: Hellen G Mitchell Age: 18 years Estimated birth year: 1911 Birthplace:
      Relation: Wife Race: Home in 1930: Logan County, Logan County, West Virginia
      Warren Bishop Age: 28 years Estimated birth year: 1901 Birthplace: West
      Virginia Relation: Head Race: White Home in 1930: Logan County, Logan
      County, West Virgin
      Nell Bishop Age: 29 years Estimated birth year: 1900 Birthplace: Relation:
      Wife Race: Home in 1930: Logan County, Logan County, West Virginia
      ?
      ?
      ?
      Notes for EMMA MAY PORTER:

      Emma May Porter was the daughter of Barnet and Tabiatha Porter, born 29 Jan
      1868 at Brushy Fork, Elliott Co., KY. She was one of 14 surviving children.
      She first appears in the 1870 Census with her parents and siblings and her
      age is stated as 2 years. In the 1880 Census she is living with her Uncle
      Andrew Porter and is listed as his daughter, age 15, which is incorrect. She
      is actually 12 years old and apparently living with these relatives doing
      housework.
      By 1884, Emma is apparently married to a neighboring family's son, Jesse
      Fraley, and has her first child, Sarah Alice Fraley, in that year. Emma is
      16 years of age. In the following years she has Charles in 1887, Dallas in
      1892, and Everett in 1895.
      On 1 February 1896, she has a son who is named Hawkins Bishop. Apprently,
      this child is not the son of Jesse Fraley and may be the son of Hawkins
      Bishop a local man who is married and works as a traveling salesman.
      Probably as a consequence of or related to this event, her marriage to Jesse
      Fraley ends. By 1900, both Emma and Jesse have remarried.
      In 1900, Jesse is living in Alcorn, Greenup County with his new wife,
      Margaret, and with them are Anna's children, Sarah, Charles, Dallas and
      Everett. They also have a new child, Hattie.
      Emma, by this time, has married James Hanners, and they have a child, Odessa
      "Osie" Hanners. Also, with them is her child, Hawkins Bishop.
      In 1905 Emma and James have Tabiatha (named after Emma's mother) and in
      1909, a son Thomas.
      By 1910, Emma and Thomas have separated and Emma is living in Ashland with
      her children, Hawkins, age 14, Biatha, age 5 and Thomas, age 1 year. She
      claims her marriage status is "widow."
      On January 30, 1916, Emma dies of a stroke. Her death certificate states she
      is a widow and the informant is listed as Hawkins Bishop. However, I found
      James Hanners in subsequent censuses as well as his Death Certificate
      stating that he died in 1964 in Ironton, Ohio (across the Ohio River from
      Ashland).
      I have no idea what happened to Odessa or the other children at the time of
      Emma's death.
      In the 1920 census, Hawkins Bishop is living with another James Hanners
      family in Ashland, but this James Hanners is not the one who was married to
      Emma. His wife's name on the census record is Ocia or Osie which was the
      nickname of Odessa. The ages don't match, but if this is the oldest child of
      James and Emma, that could explain why Hawkins Bishop is living there. He is
      listed as a "boarder." It's possible this family is related to Emma's
      husband.
      By the 1930 census, Hawkins Bishop is going by the name "Henry Bishop," is
      married to Nellie Ray and living in Ashland with her and her father, John L.
      Ray, age 65. Although Hawkins is 34 and Nellie 35, and they have been
      married for ten years, they have no children listed.
      Death Certificate of Emma May Porter
      http://trees.ancestry.com/rd?f=image&guid=37c23042-773b-4a09-9191-eba9bf3227a3&tid=3154688&pid=-1768300559
      Marriage Notes for HAWKINS BISHOP and GLADYS FERRELL:
      Groom name: H. Bishop
      Groom age: 24 years
      Groom estimated birth year: 1876
      Groom birth date:
      Groom birth place:
      Bride name: Stella Ferrell
      Bride age: 17 years
      Bride estimated birth year: 1883
      Bride birth date:
      Bride birth place:
      Event type: Marriage
      Marriage date: 20 Jun 1900
      Marriage place: Mingo, West Virginia
      Father of groom name:
      Mother of groom name:
      Father of bride name:
      Mother of bride name:
      Marital status:
      Groom previous wife name:
      Bride marital status:
      Bride previous husband name:
      Film number: 1753582
      Digital GS number: 4130902
      Image number: 348
      Reference number: 108
      Source: County Records
      Collection: West Virginia Marriages 1853-1970
      Child of HAWKINS BISHOP and EMMA PORTER is:
      HAWKINS "HAWK"9 BISHOP, b. February 01, 1896, Ashland, Boyd Co., KY; d.
      August 15, 1978, Ashland, Boyd Co., KY; m. NELLIE RAY; b. August 20, 1894,
      Kentucky; d. April 06, 1984, Ashland, Boyd County, Kentucky.
      Children of HAWKINS BISHOP and GLADYS FERRELL are:
      HELEN G.9 BISHOP, m. WILLIAM A. MITCHELL.
      Notes for HELEN G. BISHOP:
      RAY MITCHELL 01 Feb 1914 07 Nov 1996 (V) 41472 (West Liberty, Morgan,
      Kentucky) (none specified) 278-05-6752
      WALTER E MITCHELL 13 Jan 1919 01 Nov 1998 (V) 40313 (Clearfield, Rowan,
      Kentucky) (none specified) 406-10-4645 Kentucky
      GLADYS BISHOP, m. JAMES LAYNE.
      MARY JANE BISHOP, m. LUTHER GILMORE.
      Notes for MARY JANE BISHOP:
      Have record from index of Pike County kentucky mrrgs for year of 1925- for a
      Mary J. Bishop mrrying a Luther Gilmore- File #16450 Vol is Reg. 77, pg 155.
      WARREN BISHOP, m. NELL ALDRIDGE.
      STELLA BISHOP, b. Abt. 1910, Wayne County West Virginia.
      Notes for STELLA BISHOP:
      Groom name: Garland Lyall
      Groom age:
      Groom estimated birth year:
      Groom birth date:
      Groom birth place:
      Bride name: Stella Bishopp
      Bride age:
      Bride estimated birth year:
      Bride birth date:
      Bride birth place:
      Event type:
      Marriage date: 1931
      Marriage place: Logan, West Virginia, United States
      Father of groom name:
      Mother of groom name:
      Father of bride name:
      Mother of bride name:
      Marital status:
      Groom previous wife name:
      Bride marital status:
      Bride previous husband name:
      Film number: 571283
      Digital GS number: 4130642
      Image number: 00510
      Reference number:
      Source: County Records
      Collection: West Virginia Marriages 1853-1970
      ?

      For Alexander Bishop, Hawkins brother, I need a burial location, (I know
      it's a Maynard Cemetery in Pike County, KY, but I do not know a location for
      the cemetery). I am also looking for his descendants. I have not been able
      to find out anything about marriages for his two kids, etc.
      Here's what I have on him:

      ?
      Generation No. 1
      1. ALEXANDER8 BISHOP (MILES7, WILLIAM E. SR.6, GEORGE5, HANS JOHANNES4
      BISCHOFF, HANS JAKOB3, GEORGE HINNRICH2, HANS JAKOBS1) was born November 30,
      1868 in Lick Creek or Mouth Card, Pike County, Kentucky, and died May 19,
      1945 in Williamson, Mingo County, West Virginia. He married JANE MAYNARD
      April 07, 1900 in Mingo County, West Virginia, daughter of WILLIAM MAYNARD
      and VICTORIA WILLIAMSON.

      Children of ALEXANDER BISHOP and JANE MAYNARD are:
      i. ELWIN9 BISHOP, b. August 28, 1900.
      ii. MARY JUNE BISHOP, b. May 22, 1920.

      Any help on finding the descendants of Hawkins Bishop and Alexander Bishop
      would be GREATLY appreciated!
      Thank you ,
      Nancy Bishop