Re: [Genealogy Research Club] new member

  • Lee Mossolle
    Message 1 of 44 , Aug 10, 2009
      In his Recollections of Washington, George Washington Parke Custis reported that during the Revolutionary War Washington's body-servant Will Lee always carried the large telescope "in a leathern case." The inventory of the contents of Mount Vernon lists, "In the Passage," a "Spye Glass" which the appraisers valued at $5. The editor of Custis's Recollections noted in 1859 that the telescope had "always been a conspicuous object upon the wall of the great passage at Mount Vernon." It may well be that Stuart, who was married to Eleanor Calvert Custis Stuart, the widow of Martha Washington's son, John Parke Custis, never removed the telescope from Mount Vernon; the dressing table was brought back to Mount Vernon in 1905. See Custis, Recollections of Washington, 224, Prussing, George Washington's Estate, 412-13, and Mount Vernon Annual Report (1981, 16-19).

      Message 44 of 44 , Jul 12, 2013
        Hello everyone,
        I'm researching Nipp Knipp and variants thereof.

        If anyone is interested there's a DNA project in the works.

        A new YDNA project attempting to tie males with any variant of the surname Nipp/Knipp to their immigrant ancestors. This project is for males with any variation of the Nipp/Knipp surname, or males who suspect they are from that surname line. Thus, the individual who tests must be a male who wants to check his direct paternal line (father's father's father's...) with a Y-DNA12, Y-DNA37, Y-DNA67, or Y-DNA111 test and who has one of the surnames listed for the project, or genetically matches one of the surnames in the project.
        Although females do not carry their father's Y-DNA, those who would like to check their father's direct paternal line can have a male relative with his surname order a Y-DNA test.

        Contact nipp_knipp@...
        http://www.familytreedna.com/public/NippKnapp-KIN/
        http://nippknippkin.wordpress.com/