Search More Than 10,258,000 Old New York State Historical Newspaper Pages FREE

  • circa_1948
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 23, 2009
      Dick Eastman's Online Newsletter, 22 July 2009

      The Fulton History web site has a great collection of old newspapers and
      Photographs. The photographs seem to be mostly reproductions of old
      Postcards. You can obtain a rather good view of the places your New York
      Ancestors lived as well as being able to read about the events in their
      Lives. As the web site says, "Finding The Angels & The Devils In The Family
      Tree Since 2003."

      The web site http://www.fultonhistory.com/Fulton.html is a searchable repository
      of many, but not all, of the old Newspapers published in New York State.
      The newspapers found on this site Have been scanned by production grade
      Wicks and Wilson Microfilm scanners. The microfilm was obtained from the
      State of New York Newspaper Project (conducted in the 1970s and early 1980's)
      and/or from libraries, historical Societies, or private individuals who wanted to
      share what they had.

      A number of microfilm companies filmed the old newspapers for the New York
      Newspaper Project. Some of the filming was of very poor quality newsprint
      (faded, torn, creased, excessive ink bleed) so that an acceptable image (for
      OCR) was next to impossible to obtain. As stated on the web site, the
      Results "are a perfect example of WYSIWYG - what you see is what you get."
      Original scanned images are archived off site at very high resolution, now
      Over 21 terabytes of compressed data.

      I looked at a number of newspapers on this site and quickly became
      Overwhelmed. Ten million pages is a lot of information! Most of the images I
      Saw were easily readable although a few were a bit "fuzzy" but still
      Readable. The images are in PDF format, a great choice, in my opinion.
      I was able to Zoom in and out on each image, similar to using a magnifying glass.
      Even the fuzzy pages became readable when I blew them up to double or triple size.

      You can save each image to your hard drive or print it out.
      You have a choice of printing an entire page as a compressed image or
      Of zooming in and printing just a part of a page in larger text.

      If you don't know exactly what you are looking for, I would suggest that you
      Go to the main page at www.fultonhistory.com/Fulton.html and click on
      FAQ_Help_Index." This will take you to a page that has a downloadable Excel
      Spreadsheet that contains the index to all the newspapers available on the
      Site. Obviously, you will need Excel or a compatible spreadsheet program
      (OpenOffice, Macintosh Numbers, etc.) in order to use the index. If you do
      Not have one of those installed, you can use Google Docs,
      http://bit.Ly/fjqMS, or Zoho Docs, http://docs.zoho.com/jsp/index.jsp ,
      As both of those free services will read spreadsheets.

      I would suggest that you click on the link labelled, "FAQ_Help_Index" and
      Then read the instructions for using the site. The use of this site is a bit
      Different than others but the detailed instructions in the "FAQ_Help_Index"
      Should speed you on your way.

      All of the newspapers and images on the Fulton History web site are
      Available free of charge although the owners do accept contributions to keep
      The site operating.

      All in all, this is a great find for anyone with New York ancestors. You can

      Find the Fulton History web site at http://www.fultonhistory.com