Index to Civil War Treasury Vouchers, 1861-1865 now online

  • circa_1948
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 16, 2009
      Received from another group! Hope it helps someone.
      Sunny

      An announcement from the NJ State Archives:
      From: "Ellen Callahan"
      Date: Mon, July 13, 2009 1:53 pm

      Dear List Members,

      On behalf of the New Jersey State Archives, I'm excited to announce the initial posting of our database indexing Civil War-period treasury
      vouchers. These records include 15,770 payment receipts for military
      expenditures and wartime purchases made by the State of New Jersey from 1861 through 1866. It includes soldiers' discharge certificates for final pay (over 9,300 items), affidavits of family members for pay due to deceased soldiers (over 1,400 items), and quarterly returns of the counties and cities listing the names of soldiers' families and dependant mothers who received subsistence pay during their service. In all, nearly 114,000 index entries provide access to the content of the documents.

      Here's the link to our databases page:
      http://www.njarchives.org/links/databases.html

      As the introduction of the database explains, the processing and indexing of New Jersey's Civil War vouchers was made possible by the New Jersey Civil War Heritage Association
      <http://www.njcivilwar.org/> (NJCWHA) with
      funding from the New Jersey Historical Commission
      <http://www.nj.gov/state/divisions/historical/index.shtml> and the New Jersey State Archives gratefully acknowledges their contributions and continued efforts to make the records of New Jersey's Civil War era more accessible.

      Kudos to all those who indexed the collection including: Veronica Calder, Sean Curry, Catherine Medich and Joanne Nestor. Congratulations also to Vivian Thiele for the data entry/manipulation, search engine development and the completion of this project.

      Finally, I would like to acknowledge Deputy Director Joseph R. Klett for his 10 year campaign to see this project through to completion. His vision, guidance and determination made this resource a reality.

      Ellen R. Callahan, Collection Manager
      New Jersey State Archives
      225 West State Street, P.O. Box 307
      Trenton, NJ 08625-0307