Re: [Genealogy Research Club] hello and looking for gene angel

  • circa_1948
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 14, 2009
      http://www.cyndislist.com/lookups.htm

    • Melissa Barker
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 15, 2009
        Diane,

        I am one of the volunteer staff members for RAOGK, I don't get paid for what I do to help with the organization, I volunteer my time.

        I just wanted to say that if you find any of our volunteers charged for anything other than copies, parking fees, mileage/gas, you need to report them to staff. Our volunteers are strictly forbidden to charge for their time and most definitely can not charge anyone for their lunch.

        Here is a link to the Facts page that explains what Volunteers can charge:

        http://www.raogk.org/faq-requesters.htm

        RAOGK is a great site and our members are there to help!

        Sincerely,
        Melissa Barker
        RAOGK Volunteer Staff Member and Volunteer for Tennessee

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 15, 2009
          Melissa -
          I really do not remember her name... but she did Tennessee (or SC) look-ups, if I remember correctly. I have now, without her assistance found the information needed to prove my ancestor was a captain in the Rev., thanks to a kind person on another list who did a search on Google for me, and found just what we needed in Congressional Records!
          I know that Debbie Hawkes who helped me in Georgia is just about the best volunteer of any I have ever found in my years working on my extended family. I live in Virginia, most wound up in Georgia, and I am fully disabled and use a walker and scooter. Its difficult for me to travel, and I have not in years... but imagine I would be in bed for a few days after arrival. Debbie went above and beyond anything I asked her to do, and is such an asset to RAOGK! Her dedication and devotion to research is why I wanted to do something... and I have had many requests for look-ups on the soldiers... even Clarke's Bn. in Georgia is in this book... which surprised me.
          I also believe, if I remember correctly, she was on the board... so I thought the complaint would simply fall on deaf ears, and perhaps I was so 'new' to the group I did not know the 'rules' - or so I was told. I just know that I have never heard of anyone asking for $ for time spent doing research (it was an hr. fee) under the auspices of 'volunteer', and believe me, I have had spent a great deal of time with volunteer organizations, and even wrote the volunteer coordinator section in the handbook for our local Christmas Mother since I served many years in that capacity. When I was in charge of volunteers, I have always kept in the back of my mind - that volunteers are just that! Remember the definition of the term... and this had held me in good stead.
          Thanks a lot for your contacting me.
          Diane S
          PS - if I find her email I will forward to you...