Re: [Genealogy Research Club] hello and looking for gene angel

  • circa_1948
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 13, 2009
      i cant help with that hon but i would suggest u check your email settings if u r not getting email.
      sunny
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 14, 2009
        I would like to add that you can try Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness
        (raogk.org) to look for volunteers in the regions you are doing research in.

        Shawna

        Grand Rapids, MI

        _____

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 14, 2009
          Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness is the first place to look - I found an 'angel' there for three counties in Georgia, and we will always be friends...
          However I did run into a woman who was charging a HUGE amount for expenses - gas, mileage, lunch, copies, time for research, etc. This lady ran a business from RAOGK, and gives the entire site a black eye.
          I volunteer there looking up Rev. War soldiers from Virginia in two books I own... and I can usually find them, I just can't tell anyone where they lived, dates of birth and death, wife, children, and sometimes the unit is not available - but I CAN tell those who ancestor I find where to locate the record.
          Diane S
          (raogk.org)
          gene angel

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 14, 2009
            http://www.cyndislist.com/lookups.htm

          • Melissa Barker
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 15, 2009
              Diane,

              I am one of the volunteer staff members for RAOGK, I don't get paid for what I do to help with the organization, I volunteer my time.

              I just wanted to say that if you find any of our volunteers charged for anything other than copies, parking fees, mileage/gas, you need to report them to staff. Our volunteers are strictly forbidden to charge for their time and most definitely can not charge anyone for their lunch.

              Here is a link to the Facts page that explains what Volunteers can charge:

              http://www.raogk.org/faq-requesters.htm

              RAOGK is a great site and our members are there to help!

              Sincerely,
              Melissa Barker
              RAOGK Volunteer Staff Member and Volunteer for Tennessee

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 15, 2009
                Melissa -
                I really do not remember her name... but she did Tennessee (or SC) look-ups, if I remember correctly. I have now, without her assistance found the information needed to prove my ancestor was a captain in the Rev., thanks to a kind person on another list who did a search on Google for me, and found just what we needed in Congressional Records!
                I know that Debbie Hawkes who helped me in Georgia is just about the best volunteer of any I have ever found in my years working on my extended family. I live in Virginia, most wound up in Georgia, and I am fully disabled and use a walker and scooter. Its difficult for me to travel, and I have not in years... but imagine I would be in bed for a few days after arrival. Debbie went above and beyond anything I asked her to do, and is such an asset to RAOGK! Her dedication and devotion to research is why I wanted to do something... and I have had many requests for look-ups on the soldiers... even Clarke's Bn. in Georgia is in this book... which surprised me.
                I also believe, if I remember correctly, she was on the board... so I thought the complaint would simply fall on deaf ears, and perhaps I was so 'new' to the group I did not know the 'rules' - or so I was told. I just know that I have never heard of anyone asking for $ for time spent doing research (it was an hr. fee) under the auspices of 'volunteer', and believe me, I have had spent a great deal of time with volunteer organizations, and even wrote the volunteer coordinator section in the handbook for our local Christmas Mother since I served many years in that capacity. When I was in charge of volunteers, I have always kept in the back of my mind - that volunteers are just that! Remember the definition of the term... and this had held me in good stead.
                Thanks a lot for your contacting me.
                Diane S
                PS - if I find her email I will forward to you...