Re: [Genealogy Research Club] re: birth and death certificate sources

  • circa_1948
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 30, 2009
      wasnt free for me to view record :-(
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Kathy P
      To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 6:02 AM
      Subject: [Genealogy Research Club] re: birth and death certificate sources

      This site maintains links to the online death certificates, which are free. http://www.deathindexes.com/
      Birth certificates are usually the cheapest from the county or state and really vary in price. I've paid $20 and $2 depending on where. Cyndi's list has a list of the places (www.cyndislist.com), and several publications have lists of where different records are kept for all states and counties: Redbook(from Ancestry) and The Handybook for Genealogists(from Evertons Publishers), both pretty pricey books, but I use mine ALL the time. Send me an email(state,county,date and type of record) and I'll look up where your record is for you if you don't have access to the books. Both books come on cds at a lesser price, I believe.
      There are volunteers in lots of places that will go to a county office and transcribe a copy for you (random acts of genealogical kindness at http://raogk.com/). Or post what you need to a message board for the county and there may be someone who goes there regularly who can make a copy for you.
      I've never paid one of the "services" to get me a copy. They charge quite a bit more than what you can order it for from the county or state office.

      Kathy

      Genealogists never die, they just lose their census.

      visit my family history website: http://dutraporter.tribalpages.com/