Birth & Death certificates

  • Julie
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 29, 2009
      Please tell me where the best place to order Birth & death cert.? Is there any one place cheaper than others? And what is the average price of them? I am assumeing they are not available on ancestry. Thanks, Julie
    • barbara erickson
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 29, 2009
        The cost of certs are different state to state. Some you can get on line and some you can't. Check to see if the county seat has a listing of them or you can send to the state capital for them. Barb

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 29, 2009
          Hi Julie!
          Some states do have 'copiable' death certificates on-line for certain time periods.
          Let me know who you need, and all the particulars, and I'll let you know what's available, OK?
          Later!
          Mary

          Please tell me where the best place to order Birth & death cert.? Is there any one place cheaper than others? And what is the average price of them? I am assumeing they are not available on ancestry. Thanks, Julie

        • circa_1948
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 29, 2009
            http://search.labs.familysearch.org/

            any particular states?

            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 29, 2009
              I thought you meant online, scans. as to real hard copies your best bet is the local vital records.
              places online are going to charge you a fee for doing hat I can do. the fee and the actual cost of the document is much lower.
              Please tell me where the best place to order Birth & death cert.? Is there any one place cheaper than others? And what is the average price of them? I am assumeing they are not available on ancestry. Thanks, Julie

            • Julie Rittacco
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 30, 2009
                Indiana

                To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
                From: circa_1948@...
                Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 22:25:56 -0700

                http://search.labs.familysearch.org/

                any particular states?

                Please tell me where the best place to order Birth & death cert.? Is there any one place cheaper than others? And what is the average price of them? I am assumeing they are not available on ancestry. Thanks, Julie

              • Meagan Coggins
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 30, 2009
                  If you know the town they were born and died in then you just go to that town/city hall and request a genealogy copy of the record you want.  Go to Indiana's vital statistics site to find out the time periods required, like in my state death cert. have to be on file for 50 years before you can get them.  If you don't know the town or city then you can request the certificate from your state, again go to the vital statistic site for your state and they will most likely have a form you can print and mail in.  Where I live they cost $10 from the local town and $22 from the state.

                  From: circa_1948@...
                  Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 22:25:56 -0700

                  http://search.labs.familysearch.org/

                  any particular states?

                  Please tell me where the best place to order Birth & death cert.? Is there any one place cheaper than others? And what is the average price of them? I am assumeing they are not available on ancestry. Thanks, Julie

                • Helen
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 2, 2009
                    Guess none of you have had any experience with Florida. I spent $45.oo ($5.00 for each search) and got 3 back. So I lost $30.00.

                    I knew exactly where they died, date, name, etc. and they said "NO Record". My grandmother died in my sister's home and all are buried in our family plot. Called the Director of Vital Stats and his office checked and found the first one right off.

                    One they sent me had all the information wrong, there was no way the could have research my information and sent me anything that messed up. Giant Ripoff.

                    I went to my county office and was told they only have access to 6 months records, which has to be untrue, since they have access to the main data base in Jacksonville.

                    If I can't get the ones when I know all the information, there isn't much hope of getting one that needs research.

                  • jamesr23@juno.com
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 3, 2009
                      A cheaperway to start may be with an obituary notice. It will give you a better starting point sometimes. I was distracted while reading you message and do not recall any dates but even old obit will sometimes be in the library. I am sure that most of us know this but in our excitement and haste we forget a little thing and then... I looked at a picture for sometime 6 or 7 years to be more trueful and found that I had been looking at people that I had always wondered what they looked like. Made me take another look and there was a wealth of information about family connections that I knew but just did not register. Happy 4th to all. Ann in middle Georgia

                      Digital Photography - Click Now.
                      http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTDvmQo2jh6LnknE8wn73hjyHxBYKua9QPACq0MiGB5V2LoROiTCYg/
                    • littledi1030
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 4, 2009
                        I had that problem with IN. Knew where grandmother died, was there for the funeral. Got the Death Cert. and her name was wrong. Called them their answer was that "that is what we have, if you want to change it we need three pieces of proof, and another $10." Asked if her Obit counted,"no." Fortunately I have enough other documents with her name but they can keep the one with the wrong info.