help with letter to unknown relatives

  • dhartomine
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 23, 2009
      Can anyone help me with ideas on how to send a letter
      to relatives I have never met to help with family info?
      The only person I "know" on my Dad's side is my dad. He
      has helped with names of certain people in the family but
      is unsure of other info for them. He has given me names
      of a few cousins that I have but I am unsure how to approach
      them with these questions. (He has no contact with them) I can't
      seem to find anything on my dad's side.

      Also, when I look up info for a female should I look up their
      married or maiden name?
    • Sharon
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 23, 2009
        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "dhartomine" <dhartomine@...> wrote:

        > Can anyone help me with ideas on how to send a letter
        > to relatives I have never met to help with family info?
        > The only person I "know" on my Dad's side is my dad. He
        > has helped with names of certain people in the family but
        > is unsure of other info for them. He has given me names
        > of a few cousins that I have but I am unsure how to approach
        > them with these questions. (He has no contact with them) I can't
        > seem to find anything on my dad's side.
        >
        > Also, when I look up info for a female should I look up their
        > married or maiden name?

        "dhartomine" ,

        As with all research, first try to find females under their maiden names, then follow with their married name and that family downline.
        As for approaching "family" to help with additional info... what I did was write a letter telling them who you are and give them a bit (not all) of info you may have regarding a common ancestor and a general downline connection to them. Also be sure to let them know that you are not looking for anything other than a bit of family history. If at all possible, be prepared to pay for any copies of memorabilia that you may want to request.It is best to send a "family group sheet" to politely ask them if they would fill it out and send back. (also send a self-addressed stamped envelope with the request). Even with these polite requests and stamped envelopes, be prepared to be ignored! I have done this in the past with somewhat limited, but wonderful success. Also if you are able, you might try "cold calling" by telephone, and speaking directly to these relatives. This can be done and followed up with letter giving them some information regarding your common ancestor.
        Happy hunting
      • P.J. Malone-Lemons
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 24, 2009
          Always look up your "female" relatives with their maiden name.   Then you can look up information ......later with their married name.

          There are many sites out their that assist people with how to interview family members.  With many methods and how to use them and make it fun to research.  Tell family members you are interested in family history.

          P.J.

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 24, 2009
            I have written a few letters and mailed them out to many potential relatives.  We ended up getting quite a few responses from different family lines.  The best thing though, was leaving my email address.  I always left my mailing address, phone number, and email.  In the beginning of the letter I said who myself and my brother were, how we thought we were related to the letter recipient and then a bit of info on the family so they knew we were legit.  We then asked our questions and asked them to please contact us if they have any information.  It is amazing when you hit the jack pot and get a distant relative who has information!

            > Can anyone help me with ideas on how to send a letter

            > to relatives I have never met to help with family info?

            > The only person I "know" on my Dad's side is my dad. He

            > has helped with names of certain people in the family but

            > is unsure of other info for them. He has given me names

            > of a few cousins that I have but I am unsure how to approach

            > them with these questions. (He has no contact with them) I can't

            > seem to find anything on my dad's side.

            > Also, when I look up info for a female should I look up their

            > married or maiden name?

            "dhartomine" ,

            As with all research, first try to find females under their maiden names, then follow with their married name and that family downline.

            As for approaching "family" to help with additional info... what I did was write a letter telling them who you are and give them a bit (not all) of info you may have regarding a common ancestor and a general downline connection to them. Also be sure to let them know that you are not looking for anything other than a bit of family history. If at all possible, be prepared to pay for any copies of memorabilia that you may want to request.It is best to send a "family group sheet" to politely ask them if they would fill it out and send back. (also send a self-addressed stamped envelope with the request). Even with these polite requests and stamped envelopes, be prepared to be ignored! I have done this in the past with somewhat limited, but wonderful success. Also if you are able, you might try "cold calling" by telephone, and speaking directly to these relatives. This can be done and followed up with letter giving them some information regarding your common
            ancestor.

            Happy hunting

          • michelle miller
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 24, 2009
              I'm always looking for fresh info from family members so what I do is  find them either in the phone book or on an online phone book, I just like to call ,first tell them your name, let them know what your doing and ask if they recongize any of these names  when they say yes ask what other information they can add, most are reciptive but some aren't and those that aren't I ask if they could tell me who might be able to help me with my family history. Personaly I've found several cousins (times removed) this way I used to send tons of letters with no reply so I found calling was the best, I have one cousin who thought I was a salesperson, after leaving several voice messages on her machine she finally relaized all I wanted was information on the family. How ever you do it just say something like Hello I'm ? the daughter of ? and I'm trying to find out about my ?(surname) family history and I was hoping you could help. My ? said you were the person to
              contact. and go on from there.
              anyway good luck

              Michelle

              > Can anyone help me with ideas on how to send a letter
              > to relatives I have never met to help with family info?
              > The only person I "know" on my Dad's side is my dad. He
              > has helped with names of certain people in the family but
              > is unsure of other info for them. He has given me names
              > of a few cousins that I have but I am unsure how to approach
              > them with these questions. (He has no contact with them) I can't
              > seem to find anything on my dad's side.
              >
              > Also, when I look up info for a female should I look up their
              > married or maiden name?

              "dhartomine" ,

              As with all research, first try to find females under their maiden names, then follow with their married name and that family downline.
              As for approaching "family" to help with additional info... what I did was write a letter telling them who you are and give them a bit (not all) of info you may have regarding a common ancestor and a general downline connection to them. Also be sure to let them know that you are not looking for anything other than a bit of family history. If at all possible, be prepared to pay for any copies of memorabilia that you may want to request.It is best to send a "family group sheet" to politely ask them if they would fill it out and send back. (also send a self-addressed stamped envelope with the request). Even with these polite requests and stamped envelopes, be prepared to be ignored! I have done this in the past with somewhat limited, but wonderful success. Also if you are able, you might try "cold calling" by telephone, and speaking directly to these relatives. This can be done and followed up with letter giving them some information regarding your common
              ancestor.
              Happy hunting

            • littledi1030
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 24, 2009
                Always start with an introduction of who you are and why you are contacting them. State that you are researching "name or surname"ask for their help and offer to share info, include an e-mail addy.
                Include a family group sheet, fill in name in spot you want as in "wife" or "husband","father" etc. I always also include a self-addressed stamped envelope. Some will be more than happy to help, some will be skeptical and some will just throw it out. Don't be discouraged, but do keep a corresopndence log, whenI first started I didn't and lost track of some letters I had sent.

                --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "dhartomine" <dhartomine@...> wrote:

                > Can anyone help me with ideas on how to send a letter
                > to relatives I have never met to help with family info?
                > The only person I "know" on my Dad's side is my dad. He
                > has helped with names of certain people in the family but
                > is unsure of other info for them. He has given me names
                > of a few cousins that I have but I am unsure how to approach
                > them with these questions. (He has no contact with them) I can't
                > seem to find anything on my dad's side.
                >
                > Also, when I look up info for a female should I look up their
                > married or maiden name?

              • Vernne Remelius
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 24, 2009
                  Go to Genealogy.com  in the learning section there are form letters to write to relatives, institutions, etc.