help searching world war II military records

  • dhartomine
    Message 1 of 28 , Jun 19, 2009
      First I would like to thank all of you who are offering
      to find info out for me. It's been hard because I don't really
      know any of my family, and I am so new to this.
      My grandfather's name was: William Fredrick Carlson
      DOB: 30, September, 1917
      Lived in Blossburg, Pennsylvania I also know he had a twin
      brother Oscar, I'm unsure if he went at the same time as my
      grandfather.
    • Dawne Hartman
      Message 2 of 28 , Jun 19, 2009
        my Grandfather's name was William Fredrick Carlson
        lived in blossburg, pa most of his life. He may have been born in morris run but unsure. DOB:30, Sept., 1917 Died 29, NOv. 2005. He had a twin brother named oscar, unsure if they went to war at same time. Thank you so much for your help. I don't have many family members that i know to ask questions

        Message 3 of 28 , Jun 19, 2009
          The navy has a free site, navymemorial.org, but only for Navy vets.
          Ancestry.com has excellent records but there is a fee.

          Quoting dhartomine <dhartomine@...>:

          > Can anyone tell me how to go about searching for wwII
          > records for my grandfather. Not sure of exact year. Some
          > sites I have tried seem so confusing to try to look any
          > info up. I'm new to this. Are there free sites for this
          > info? Thank you

        • P.J. Malone-Lemons
          Message 4 of 28 , Jun 20, 2009
            I found it:
            William F. Carlson
            Birth Year 1917
            Race: White, citizen (white)
            Nativity State Pennsylvania
            St of Res   Pa
            County Tioga
            Enlistment date:   28 Dec 1942
            Enlistment City Wilkes Barre

            Dawn:  send me your home address and I will be most happy to mail what I pulled off Ancestry.com and then you will at least have a starting point.  Sherlock.1970@...

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 28 , Jun 20, 2009
              WWII veterans were eligible for a bonus after the war. In PA, individuals had to file their discharge documents at the local courthouse to qualify for this bonus. Locate the county where he would have resided after the war. They could help you. Also, every county in PA is mandated by law to have a Veterans Affairs office. They could check online if that record was filed. The form to request military records is the SF-180. You can get in online. Another idea is go to www.military.com and type in his name in the buddy finder. You may be able to locate guys he served with or a reunion group for his unit. Good luck. Diane
            • Julie Rittacco
              Message 6 of 28 , Jun 22, 2009
                Mary, with Ancestry what type of military records can you find?? Julie

                To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
                From: mary.stewart52@...
                Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 05:45:56 -0700
                Subject: Re: [Genealogy Research Club] help searching world war II military records

                Hi! I have Ancestry.com. If you can give me some particular's about your grandfather, name, birth-date, state living at the time, I see what I can find for you.
                Mary

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 28 , Jun 23, 2009
                  Hi Julie ... well, there seems to some kind of records for every US was ever fought.  Sometimes it's not much, but will add to info you might already have & then you can go to the National Archives site, or others, & sometimes request the full records.
                  Without knowing who you're looking for, & some dates/wars to check, it's really hard to advise!
                  Mary

                  ________________________________
                  Mary, with Ancestry what type of military records can you find?? Julie

                  To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
                  From: mary.stewart52@...
                  Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 05:45:56 -0700

                  Message 8 of 28 , Jun 24, 2009
                    Mary, I need help proving my gr gr grandfather, Benjamin Harris was in the civil war. His DOB Feb.07,1835. All I know is that he was on the union side out of Indiana and was in Company I. Anything you find I will appreciate it greatly. This person has been such a mystry person, can't even find an obit on him. Even though I know(believe) he died Feb. 14,1917 in Jay County, Indiana. Thank You in advance. Julie

                    To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
                    From: mary.stewart52@...
                    Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 05:45:56 -0700

                    Message 9 of 28 , Jun 24, 2009
                      Hi Julie ... Hope this shows up ... having trouble with cut & paste ...
                      There were several Benjamin Harris' from IN listed, but the one below was the only one I could find in Company I ...

                      Name:Benjamin Harris
                      Residence:Montpelier, Indiana
                      Enlistment Date:1 Mar 1864
                      Side Served:Union
                      State Served:Indiana
                      Service Record:Enlisted as a Private on 1 March 1864.
                      Enlisted in Company I, 130th Infantry Regiment Indiana on 1 Mar 1864.
                      Mustered Out Company I, 130th Infantry Regiment Indiana on 10 Dec 1865.

                      Sources:76

                      ________________________________

                      To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
                      From: mary.stewart52@...
                      Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 05:45:56 -0700

                      Message 10 of 28 , Jun 25, 2009
                        Mary, Thanks so much, I am sure this is him because he lived in Montpelier. Could you try one more. Someone helped me before, it may have even been you. It's Edward Newby WW1, out of Indiana probably Hamilton County DOB Feb. 09,1892. Thanks, Julie

                        To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com

                        To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
                        From: mary.stewart52@...
                        Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 05:45:56 -0700

                        Message 11 of 28 , Jun 25, 2009
                          Hi Julie ... try this one ... right birth date, looks like he was in IL at the time ...

                          Name:
                          Edward Newby

                          County:
                          Stark

                          State:
                          Illinois

                          Birthplace:
                          Indiana;United States of America

                          Birth Date:

                          Race:
                          Caucasian (White)

                          Roll:
                          1642742

                          DraftBoard:
                          0

                          To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com

                          To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
                          From: mary.stewart52@...
                          Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 05:45:56 -0700

                          Message 12 of 28 , Jun 25, 2009
                            Hi Julie ... here's the original ...

                            To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com

                            To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
                            From: mary.stewart52@...
                            Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 05:45:56 -0700

                            Message 13 of 28 , Jun 28, 2009
                              Mary, Thanks again for the info on Benjamin Harris. I had two uncles and my father who served in WW2, could you see what comes up? Juneius S Harris, Glen W Harris, & Eurice M. Harris. They were all from Indiana, although I think Eurice may have been in another state when he entered. Thanks, Julie

                              To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com

                              To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
                              From: mary.stewart52@...
                              Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 05:45:56 -0700

                              Message 14 of 28 , Jun 29, 2009
                                Hi! So far here's something on each, ...

                                Name: Juneius S Harris
                                Birth Year: 1919
                                Race: White, citizen (White)
                                Nativity State or Country: Indiana
                                State of Residence: Indiana
                                County or City: Wayne

                                Enlistment Date: 17 Jan 1941
                                Enlistment State: Indiana
                                Enlistment City: New Castle
                                Branch: Infantry
                                Branch Code: Infantry
                                Grade: Corporal
                                Grade Code: Corporal
                                Component: National Guard (Officers, Warrant Officers, and Enlisted Men)
                                Source: National Guard

                                Education: 1 year of high school
                                Civil Occupation: Farm hands, general farms
                                Marital Status: Single, without dependents
                                Height: 71
                                Weight: 205

                                ***************

                                Name: Glen W Harris
                                Birth Year: 1921
                                Race: White, citizen (White)
                                Nativity State or Country: Indiana
                                State of Residence: Indiana
                                County or City: Henry

                                Enlistment Date: 17 Jan 1941
                                Enlistment State: Indiana
                                Enlistment City: New Castle
                                Branch: Infantry
                                Branch Code: Infantry
                                Grade: Private First Class
                                Grade Code: Private First Class
                                Component: National Guard (Officers, Warrant Officers, and Enlisted Men)
                                Source: National Guard

                                Education: 2 years of high school
                                Civil Occupation: Sales clerks
                                Marital Status: Single, without dependents
                                Height: 68
                                Weight: 138

                                ************

                                Name: Eurice M Harris
                                Birth Year: 1926
                                Race: White, citizen (White)
                                Nativity State or Country: Indiana
                                State of Residence: Indiana
                                County or City: Madison

                                Enlistment Date: 9 Nov 1945
                                Enlistment State: Mississippi
                                Enlistment City: Camp Shelby
                                Branch: No branch assignment
                                Branch Code: No branch assignment
                                Grade: Private First Class
                                Grade Code: Private First Class
                                Term of Enlistment: One year enlistment
                                Component: Regular Army (including Officers, Nurses, Warrant Officers, and Enlisted Men)
                                Source: Enlisted Man, Philippine Scout or recall to AD of an enlisted man who had been transferred to the ERC

                                Education: 2 years of high school
                                Civil Occupation: Skilled occupations in manufacture of electrical machinery and accessories, n.e.c.
                                Marital Status: Single, without dependents
                                Height: 76
                                Weight: 696

                                > Mary, Thanks again for the info on Benjamin Harris. I had
                                > two uncles and my father who served in WW2, could you see
                                > what comes up? Juneius S Harris, Glen W Harris, & Eurice
                                > M. Harris. They were all from Indiana, although I think
                                > Eurice may have been in another state when he entered.
                                > Thanks, Julie
                                >

                                > To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
                                > From: mary.stewart52@...
                                > Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 18:52:14 -0700
                                > Subject: Re: [Genealogy Research Club] help searching world
                                > war II military records
                                >

                                > Hi Julie ... Hope this shows up ... having trouble with cut
                                > & paste ...
                                > There were several Benjamin Harris' from IN listed, but the
                                > one below was the only one I could find in Company I ...
                                >
                                > Name:Benjamin Harris
                                > Residence:Montpelier, Indiana
                                > Enlistment Date:1 Mar 1864
                                > Side Served:Union
                                > State Served:Indiana
                                > Service Record:Enlisted as a Private on 1 March 1864.
                                > Enlisted in Company I, 130th Infantry Regiment Indiana on 1
                                > Mar 1864.
                                > Mustered Out Company I, 130th Infantry Regiment Indiana on
                                > 10 Dec 1865.
                                >
                                > Sources:76
                                >
                                > ________________________________

                              • mccgram
                                Message 15 of 28 , Jul 4, 2009
                                  IS this Him?
                                  U.S. Civil War Soldier Records and Profiles
                                  about Benjamin Harris
                                  Name: Benjamin Harris
                                  Residence: Montpelier, Indiana
                                  Enlistment Date: 3 Jan 1864
                                  Rank at enlistment: Private
                                  State Served: Indiana
                                  Survived the War?: Yes
                                  Service Record: Enlisted in Company I, Indiana 130th Infantry Regiment on 01 Mar 1864.
                                  Mustered out on 10 Dec 1865.

                                  Sources: Report of the Adjutant General of the State of Indiana

                                  American Civil War Soldiers

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jul 4, 2009
                                    HARRIS, Benjamin Dusti BIOGRAPHICAL AND HISTORICAL RECORD OF JAY AND BLACKFORD COUNTIES, INDIANA
                                    The Lewis Publishing Company, 1887 Page 415 BENJAMIN HARRIS, a prominent citizen of Jay County, engaged in farming and
                                    stock dealing on section 15,
                                    Penn Township, was born in Columbiana County, Ohio, February 7, 1835, a son
                                    of Benjamin and Asenath
                                    (Whitaker) Harris, natives of North Carolina and Oh

                                    > http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~injay/Records/Biographies.htm

                                  • mccgram
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jul 4, 2009
                                      --->
                                      > HARRIS Benjamin Feb 07 1835 Feb 14 1917 Penn Jay Twin Hills/IOOF IN
                                      >
                                      > http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~injay/Records/CemeteryRecordsFthruL.htm

                                      Fort Wayne Journal-Gazette - February 17, 1917, Fort Wayne, Indiana

                                      le mark T- C Doris neral Avill be held Sunday Benjamin Harris aged vears is dead at the home of a daughter...

                                      Refine by:
                                      Date of Publication: Saturday, February 17, 1917
                                      City: Fort Wayne
                                      State: Indiana
                                      Benjamin Harris ages 82 is dead at the home of a daughter residing near Balbec. He was a Veteran of the Civil War, and in 1859 joined in the Gold Rush at Pikes Peak. He leaves 4 children. Funeral on Saturday at Pennville M>E>Church

                                    • Julie Rittacco
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Jul 6, 2009
                                        YES, this is him.

                                        To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com

                                        Message 19 of 28 , Jul 6, 2009
                                          Thank You for this info!!!!

                                          To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
                                          From: mccgram@...
                                          Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2009 21:24:28 +0000

                                          --->

                                          Date of Publication: Saturday, February 17, 1917
                                          City: Fort Wayne

                                          Message 20 of 28 , Jul 6, 2009
                                            Thank You so very much for your help!!! Julie

                                            To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
                                            From: mccgram@...
                                            Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2009 21:10:44 +0000