help searching world war II military records

  • dhartomine
    Message 1 of 28 , Jun 19, 2009
      First I would like to thank all of you who are offering
      to find info out for me. It's been hard because I don't really
      know any of my family, and I am so new to this.
      My grandfather's name was: William Fredrick Carlson
      DOB: 30, September, 1917
      Lived in Blossburg, Pennsylvania I also know he had a twin
      brother Oscar, I'm unsure if he went at the same time as my
      grandfather.
    • Dawne Hartman
      Message 2 of 28 , Jun 19, 2009
        my Grandfather's name was William Fredrick Carlson
        lived in blossburg, pa most of his life. He may have been born in morris run but unsure. DOB:30, Sept., 1917 Died 29, NOv. 2005. He had a twin brother named oscar, unsure if they went to war at same time. Thank you so much for your help. I don't have many family members that i know to ask questions

        Message 3 of 28 , Jun 19, 2009
          The navy has a free site, navymemorial.org, but only for Navy vets.
          Ancestry.com has excellent records but there is a fee.

          Quoting dhartomine <dhartomine@...>:

          > Can anyone tell me how to go about searching for wwII
          > records for my grandfather. Not sure of exact year. Some
          > sites I have tried seem so confusing to try to look any
          > info up. I'm new to this. Are there free sites for this
          > info? Thank you

        • Diane S
          Message 4 of 28 , Jun 19, 2009
            Oh - forgot to tell you to ask for 'all records'!
            Diane S

            Hi "dhartomine",

            My name is "swworks" from the Geno Research Club. If you will call the VA they will tell you how to get the form to get in info. Also tell them you need help with "gathering" the right info to get the form fill out. See what they can do for you.

            SW

            Can anyone tell me how to go about searching for wwII

            records for my grandfather. Not sure of exact year. Some

            sites I have tried seem so confusing to try to look any

            info up. I'm new to this. Are there free sites for this

            info? Thank you

          • P.J. Malone-Lemons
            Message 5 of 28 , Jun 20, 2009
              I found it:
              William F. Carlson
              Birth Year 1917
              Race: White, citizen (white)
              Nativity State Pennsylvania
              St of Res   Pa
              County Tioga
              Enlistment date:   28 Dec 1942
              Enlistment City Wilkes Barre

              Dawn:  send me your home address and I will be most happy to mail what I pulled off Ancestry.com and then you will at least have a starting point.  Sherlock.1970@...

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 28 , Jun 20, 2009
                WWII veterans were eligible for a bonus after the war. In PA, individuals had to file their discharge documents at the local courthouse to qualify for this bonus. Locate the county where he would have resided after the war. They could help you. Also, every county in PA is mandated by law to have a Veterans Affairs office. They could check online if that record was filed. The form to request military records is the SF-180. You can get in online. Another idea is go to www.military.com and type in his name in the buddy finder. You may be able to locate guys he served with or a reunion group for his unit. Good luck. Diane
              • Julie Rittacco
                Message 7 of 28 , Jun 22, 2009
                  Mary, with Ancestry what type of military records can you find?? Julie

                  To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
                  From: mary.stewart52@...
                  Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 05:45:56 -0700

                  Hi! I have Ancestry.com. If you can give me some particular's about your grandfather, name, birth-date, state living at the time, I see what I can find for you.
                  Mary

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 28 , Jun 23, 2009
                    Hi Julie ... well, there seems to some kind of records for every US was ever fought.  Sometimes it's not much, but will add to info you might already have & then you can go to the National Archives site, or others, & sometimes request the full records.
                    Without knowing who you're looking for, & some dates/wars to check, it's really hard to advise!
                    Mary

                    ________________________________
                    Mary, with Ancestry what type of military records can you find?? Julie

                    To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
                    From: mary.stewart52@...
                    Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 05:45:56 -0700

                    Message 9 of 28 , Jun 24, 2009
                      Mary, I need help proving my gr gr grandfather, Benjamin Harris was in the civil war. His DOB Feb.07,1835. All I know is that he was on the union side out of Indiana and was in Company I. Anything you find I will appreciate it greatly. This person has been such a mystry person, can't even find an obit on him. Even though I know(believe) he died Feb. 14,1917 in Jay County, Indiana. Thank You in advance. Julie

                      To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
                      From: mary.stewart52@...
                      Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 05:45:56 -0700

                      Message 10 of 28 , Jun 24, 2009
                        Hi Julie ... Hope this shows up ... having trouble with cut & paste ...
                        There were several Benjamin Harris' from IN listed, but the one below was the only one I could find in Company I ...

                        Name:Benjamin Harris
                        Residence:Montpelier, Indiana
                        Enlistment Date:1 Mar 1864
                        Side Served:Union
                        State Served:Indiana
                        Service Record:Enlisted as a Private on 1 March 1864.
                        Enlisted in Company I, 130th Infantry Regiment Indiana on 1 Mar 1864.
                        Mustered Out Company I, 130th Infantry Regiment Indiana on 10 Dec 1865.

                        Sources:76

                        ________________________________

                        To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
                        From: mary.stewart52@...
                        Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 05:45:56 -0700

                        Message 11 of 28 , Jun 25, 2009
                          Mary, Thanks so much, I am sure this is him because he lived in Montpelier. Could you try one more. Someone helped me before, it may have even been you. It's Edward Newby WW1, out of Indiana probably Hamilton County DOB Feb. 09,1892. Thanks, Julie

                          To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com

                          To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
                          From: mary.stewart52@...
                          Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 05:45:56 -0700

                          Message 12 of 28 , Jun 25, 2009
                            Hi Julie ... try this one ... right birth date, looks like he was in IL at the time ...

                            Name:
                            Edward Newby

                            County:
                            Stark

                            State:
                            Illinois

                            Birthplace:
                            Indiana;United States of America

                            Birth Date:

                            Race:
                            Caucasian (White)

                            Roll:
                            1642742

                            DraftBoard:
                            0

                            To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com

                            To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
                            From: mary.stewart52@...
                            Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 05:45:56 -0700

                            Message 13 of 28 , Jun 25, 2009
                              Hi Julie ... here's the original ...

                              To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com

                              To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
                              From: mary.stewart52@...
                              Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 05:45:56 -0700

                              Message 14 of 28 , Jun 28, 2009
                                Mary, Thanks again for the info on Benjamin Harris. I had two uncles and my father who served in WW2, could you see what comes up? Juneius S Harris, Glen W Harris, & Eurice M. Harris. They were all from Indiana, although I think Eurice may have been in another state when he entered. Thanks, Julie

                                To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com

                                To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
                                From: mary.stewart52@...
                                Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 05:45:56 -0700

                                Message 15 of 28 , Jun 29, 2009
                                  Hi! So far here's something on each, ...

                                  Name: Juneius S Harris
                                  Birth Year: 1919
                                  Race: White, citizen (White)
                                  Nativity State or Country: Indiana
                                  State of Residence: Indiana
                                  County or City: Wayne

                                  Enlistment Date: 17 Jan 1941
                                  Enlistment State: Indiana
                                  Enlistment City: New Castle
                                  Branch: Infantry
                                  Branch Code: Infantry
                                  Grade: Corporal
                                  Grade Code: Corporal
                                  Component: National Guard (Officers, Warrant Officers, and Enlisted Men)
                                  Source: National Guard

                                  Education: 1 year of high school
                                  Civil Occupation: Farm hands, general farms
                                  Marital Status: Single, without dependents
                                  Height: 71
                                  Weight: 205

                                  ***************

                                  Name: Glen W Harris
                                  Birth Year: 1921
                                  Race: White, citizen (White)
                                  Nativity State or Country: Indiana
                                  State of Residence: Indiana
                                  County or City: Henry

                                  Enlistment Date: 17 Jan 1941
                                  Enlistment State: Indiana
                                  Enlistment City: New Castle
                                  Branch: Infantry
                                  Branch Code: Infantry
                                  Grade: Private First Class
                                  Grade Code: Private First Class
                                  Component: National Guard (Officers, Warrant Officers, and Enlisted Men)
                                  Source: National Guard

                                  Education: 2 years of high school
                                  Civil Occupation: Sales clerks
                                  Marital Status: Single, without dependents
                                  Height: 68
                                  Weight: 138

                                  ************

                                  Name: Eurice M Harris
                                  Birth Year: 1926
                                  Race: White, citizen (White)
                                  Nativity State or Country: Indiana
                                  State of Residence: Indiana
                                  County or City: Madison

                                  Enlistment Date: 9 Nov 1945
                                  Enlistment State: Mississippi
                                  Enlistment City: Camp Shelby
                                  Branch: No branch assignment
                                  Branch Code: No branch assignment
                                  Grade: Private First Class
                                  Grade Code: Private First Class
                                  Term of Enlistment: One year enlistment
                                  Component: Regular Army (including Officers, Nurses, Warrant Officers, and Enlisted Men)
                                  Source: Enlisted Man, Philippine Scout or recall to AD of an enlisted man who had been transferred to the ERC

                                  Education: 2 years of high school
                                  Civil Occupation: Skilled occupations in manufacture of electrical machinery and accessories, n.e.c.
                                  Marital Status: Single, without dependents
                                  Height: 76
                                  Weight: 696

                                  > Mary, Thanks again for the info on Benjamin Harris. I had
                                  > two uncles and my father who served in WW2, could you see
                                  > what comes up? Juneius S Harris, Glen W Harris, & Eurice
                                  > M. Harris. They were all from Indiana, although I think
                                  > Eurice may have been in another state when he entered.
                                  > Thanks, Julie
                                  >

                                  > To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
                                  > From: mary.stewart52@...
                                  > Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 18:52:14 -0700
                                  > Subject: Re: [Genealogy Research Club] help searching world
                                  > war II military records
                                  >

                                  > Hi Julie ... Hope this shows up ... having trouble with cut
                                  > & paste ...
                                  > There were several Benjamin Harris' from IN listed, but the
                                  > one below was the only one I could find in Company I ...
                                  >
                                  > Name:Benjamin Harris
                                  > Residence:Montpelier, Indiana
                                  > Enlistment Date:1 Mar 1864
                                  > Side Served:Union
                                  > State Served:Indiana
                                  > Service Record:Enlisted as a Private on 1 March 1864.
                                  > Enlisted in Company I, 130th Infantry Regiment Indiana on 1
                                  > Mar 1864.
                                  > Mustered Out Company I, 130th Infantry Regiment Indiana on
                                  > 10 Dec 1865.
                                  >
                                  > Sources:76
                                  >
                                  > ________________________________

                                • mccgram
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jul 4, 2009
                                    IS this Him?
                                    U.S. Civil War Soldier Records and Profiles
                                    about Benjamin Harris
                                    Name: Benjamin Harris
                                    Residence: Montpelier, Indiana
                                    Enlistment Date: 3 Jan 1864
                                    Rank at enlistment: Private
                                    State Served: Indiana
                                    Survived the War?: Yes
                                    Service Record: Enlisted in Company I, Indiana 130th Infantry Regiment on 01 Mar 1864.
                                    Mustered out on 10 Dec 1865.

                                    Sources: Report of the Adjutant General of the State of Indiana

                                    American Civil War Soldiers

                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jul 4, 2009
                                      HARRIS, Benjamin Dusti BIOGRAPHICAL AND HISTORICAL RECORD OF JAY AND BLACKFORD COUNTIES, INDIANA
                                      The Lewis Publishing Company, 1887 Page 415 BENJAMIN HARRIS, a prominent citizen of Jay County, engaged in farming and
                                      stock dealing on section 15,
                                      Penn Township, was born in Columbiana County, Ohio, February 7, 1835, a son
                                      of Benjamin and Asenath
                                      (Whitaker) Harris, natives of North Carolina and Oh

                                      > http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~injay/Records/Biographies.htm

                                    • mccgram
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Jul 4, 2009
                                        --->
                                        > HARRIS Benjamin Feb 07 1835 Feb 14 1917 Penn Jay Twin Hills/IOOF IN
                                        >
                                        > http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~injay/Records/CemeteryRecordsFthruL.htm

                                        Fort Wayne Journal-Gazette - February 17, 1917, Fort Wayne, Indiana

                                        le mark T- C Doris neral Avill be held Sunday Benjamin Harris aged vears is dead at the home of a daughter...

                                        Refine by:
                                        Date of Publication: Saturday, February 17, 1917
                                        City: Fort Wayne
                                        State: Indiana
                                        Benjamin Harris ages 82 is dead at the home of a daughter residing near Balbec. He was a Veteran of the Civil War, and in 1859 joined in the Gold Rush at Pikes Peak. He leaves 4 children. Funeral on Saturday at Pennville M>E>Church

                                      • Julie Rittacco
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Jul 6, 2009
                                          YES, this is him.

                                          To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com

                                          Message 20 of 28 , Jul 6, 2009
                                            Thank You for this info!!!!

                                            To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
                                            From: mccgram@...
                                            Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2009 21:24:28 +0000

                                            --->

                                            Date of Publication: Saturday, February 17, 1917
                                            City: Fort Wayne

                                            Message 21 of 28 , Jul 6, 2009
                                              Thank You so very much for your help!!! Julie

                                              To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
                                              From: mccgram@...
                                              Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2009 21:10:44 +0000