help searching world war II military records

  • dhartomine
    Message 1 of 28 , Jun 18 4:54 PM
      Can anyone tell me how to go about searching for wwII
      records for my grandfather. Not sure of exact year. Some
      sites I have tried seem so confusing to try to look any
      info up. I'm new to this. Are there free sites for this
      info? Thank you
    • Mary Stewart
      Message 2 of 28 , Jun 19 5:45 AM
        Hi!  I have Ancestry.com.  If you can give me some particular's about your grandfather, name, birth-date, state living at the time, I see what I can find for you.
        Mary

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 28 , Jun 19 5:57 AM
          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "dhartomine" <dhartomine@...> wrote:

          > Can anyone tell me how to go about searching for wwII
          > records for my grandfather. Not sure of exact year. Some
          > sites I have tried seem so confusing to try to look any
          > info up. I'm new to this. Are there free sites for this
          > info? Thank you

          Send me the name, birth, death and I will see what I can find for you.
        • Susan Workman
          Message 4 of 28 , Jun 19 7:37 AM
            Hi "dhartomine",

            My name is "swworks"  from the Geno Research Club.  If you will call the VA they will tell you how to get the form to get in info.  Also tell them you need help with "gathering" the right info to get the form fill out.  See what they can do for you.

            SW

            Message 5 of 28 , Jun 19 8:16 AM
              What was his name and  date of birth?

              Message 6 of 28 , Jun 19 9:15 AM
                how abt posting his info (name etc) and let some of us take a looksie around ?
                what exactly is it you want to know?
                sunny

                Message 7 of 28 , Jun 19 12:30 PM
                  First I would like to thank all of you who are offering
                  to find info out for me. It's been hard because I don't really
                  know any of my family, and I am so new to this.
                  My grandfather's name was: William Fredrick Carlson
                  DOB: 30, September, 1917
                  Lived in Blossburg, Pennsylvania I also know he had a twin
                  brother Oscar, I'm unsure if he went at the same time as my
                  grandfather.
                • Dawne Hartman
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jun 19 12:34 PM
                    my Grandfather's name was William Fredrick Carlson
                    lived in blossburg, pa most of his life. He may have been born in morris run but unsure. DOB:30, Sept., 1917 Died 29, NOv. 2005. He had a twin brother named oscar, unsure if they went to war at same time. Thank you so much for your help. I don't have many family members that i know to ask questions

                    Message 9 of 28 , Jun 19 2:52 PM
                      The navy has a free site, navymemorial.org, but only for Navy vets.
                      Ancestry.com has excellent records but there is a fee.

                      Quoting dhartomine <dhartomine@...>:

                      > Can anyone tell me how to go about searching for wwII
                      > records for my grandfather. Not sure of exact year. Some
                      > sites I have tried seem so confusing to try to look any
                      > info up. I'm new to this. Are there free sites for this
                      > info? Thank you

                    • Diane S
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jun 19 3:35 PM
                        Just remember most of those records burned many years ago while stored in Indiana... I requested my father's records, and they informed me that most of the WWII records were burned and what they sent me was created from other records since my father went back into the Navy during the Korean Conflict, and didn't retire until years later, so those records were intact.
                        Don't be disappointed by the scarce records you receive (there is no fee), because they are just gone. You can go to the WWII Memorial website, and there is a link to download a records request.
                        Diane S Sanfilippo

                        Message 11 of 28 , Jun 19 3:36 PM
                          Oh - forgot to tell you to ask for 'all records'!
                          Diane S

                          Hi "dhartomine",

                          My name is "swworks" from the Geno Research Club. If you will call the VA they will tell you how to get the form to get in info. Also tell them you need help with "gathering" the right info to get the form fill out. See what they can do for you.

                          SW

                          Can anyone tell me how to go about searching for wwII

                          records for my grandfather. Not sure of exact year. Some

                          sites I have tried seem so confusing to try to look any

                          info up. I'm new to this. Are there free sites for this

                          info? Thank you

                        • P.J. Malone-Lemons
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jun 20 4:30 AM
                            I found it:
                            William F. Carlson
                            Birth Year 1917
                            Race: White, citizen (white)
                            Nativity State Pennsylvania
                            St of Res   Pa
                            County Tioga
                            Enlistment date:   28 Dec 1942
                            Enlistment City Wilkes Barre

                            Dawn:  send me your home address and I will be most happy to mail what I pulled off Ancestry.com and then you will at least have a starting point.  Sherlock.1970@...

                            ________________________________

                            Message 13 of 28 , Jun 20 2:25 PM
                              WWII veterans were eligible for a bonus after the war. In PA, individuals had to file their discharge documents at the local courthouse to qualify for this bonus. Locate the county where he would have resided after the war. They could help you. Also, every county in PA is mandated by law to have a Veterans Affairs office. They could check online if that record was filed. The form to request military records is the SF-180. You can get in online. Another idea is go to www.military.com and type in his name in the buddy finder. You may be able to locate guys he served with or a reunion group for his unit. Good luck. Diane
                            • Julie Rittacco
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jun 22 4:17 PM
                                Mary, with Ancestry what type of military records can you find?? Julie

                                To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
                                From: mary.stewart52@...
                                Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 05:45:56 -0700

                                Message 15 of 28 , Jun 23 6:23 AM
                                  Hi Julie ... well, there seems to some kind of records for every US was ever fought.  Sometimes it's not much, but will add to info you might already have & then you can go to the National Archives site, or others, & sometimes request the full records.
                                  Without knowing who you're looking for, & some dates/wars to check, it's really hard to advise!
                                  Mary

                                  ________________________________
                                  Mary, with Ancestry what type of military records can you find?? Julie

                                  To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
                                  From: mary.stewart52@...
                                  Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 05:45:56 -0700

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jun 24 5:11 PM
                                    Mary, I need help proving my gr gr grandfather, Benjamin Harris was in the civil war. His DOB Feb.07,1835. All I know is that he was on the union side out of Indiana and was in Company I. Anything you find I will appreciate it greatly. This person has been such a mystry person, can't even find an obit on him. Even though I know(believe) he died Feb. 14,1917 in Jay County, Indiana. Thank You in advance. Julie

                                    To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
                                    From: mary.stewart52@...
                                    Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 05:45:56 -0700

                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jun 24 6:52 PM
                                      Hi Julie ... Hope this shows up ... having trouble with cut & paste ...
                                      There were several Benjamin Harris' from IN listed, but the one below was the only one I could find in Company I ...

                                      Name:Benjamin Harris
                                      Residence:Montpelier, Indiana
                                      Enlistment Date:1 Mar 1864
                                      Side Served:Union
                                      State Served:Indiana
                                      Service Record:Enlisted as a Private on 1 March 1864.
                                      Enlisted in Company I, 130th Infantry Regiment Indiana on 1 Mar 1864.
                                      Mustered Out Company I, 130th Infantry Regiment Indiana on 10 Dec 1865.

                                      Sources:76

                                      ________________________________

                                      To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
                                      From: mary.stewart52@...
                                      Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 05:45:56 -0700

                                      Message 18 of 28 , Jun 25 11:51 AM
                                        Mary, Thanks so much, I am sure this is him because he lived in Montpelier. Could you try one more. Someone helped me before, it may have even been you. It's Edward Newby WW1, out of Indiana probably Hamilton County DOB Feb. 09,1892. Thanks, Julie

                                        To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com

                                        To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
                                        From: mary.stewart52@...
                                        Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 05:45:56 -0700

                                        Message 19 of 28 , Jun 25 1:38 PM
                                          Hi Julie ... try this one ... right birth date, looks like he was in IL at the time ...

                                          Name:
                                          Edward Newby

                                          County:
                                          Stark

                                          State:
                                          Illinois

                                          Birthplace:
                                          Indiana;United States of America

                                          Birth Date:

                                          Race:
                                          Caucasian (White)

                                          Roll:
                                          1642742

                                          DraftBoard:
                                          0

                                          To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com

                                          To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
                                          From: mary.stewart52@...
                                          Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 05:45:56 -0700

                                          Message 20 of 28 , Jun 25 1:45 PM
                                            Hi Julie ... here's the original ...

                                            To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com

                                            To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
                                            From: mary.stewart52@...
                                            Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 05:45:56 -0700

                                            Message 21 of 28 , Jun 28 2:53 PM
                                              Mary, Thanks again for the info on Benjamin Harris. I had two uncles and my father who served in WW2, could you see what comes up? Juneius S Harris, Glen W Harris, & Eurice M. Harris. They were all from Indiana, although I think Eurice may have been in another state when he entered. Thanks, Julie

                                              To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com

                                              To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
                                              From: mary.stewart52@...
                                              Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 05:45:56 -0700

                                              Message 22 of 28 , Jun 29 7:09 AM
                                                Hi! So far here's something on each, ...

                                                Name: Juneius S Harris
                                                Birth Year: 1919
                                                Race: White, citizen (White)
                                                Nativity State or Country: Indiana
                                                State of Residence: Indiana
                                                County or City: Wayne

                                                Enlistment Date: 17 Jan 1941
                                                Enlistment State: Indiana
                                                Enlistment City: New Castle
                                                Branch: Infantry
                                                Branch Code: Infantry
                                                Grade: Corporal
                                                Grade Code: Corporal
                                                Component: National Guard (Officers, Warrant Officers, and Enlisted Men)
                                                Source: National Guard

                                                Education: 1 year of high school
                                                Civil Occupation: Farm hands, general farms
                                                Marital Status: Single, without dependents
                                                Height: 71
                                                Weight: 205

                                                ***************

                                                Name: Glen W Harris
                                                Birth Year: 1921
                                                Race: White, citizen (White)
                                                Nativity State or Country: Indiana
                                                State of Residence: Indiana
                                                County or City: Henry

                                                Enlistment Date: 17 Jan 1941
                                                Enlistment State: Indiana
                                                Enlistment City: New Castle
                                                Branch: Infantry
                                                Branch Code: Infantry
                                                Grade: Private First Class
                                                Grade Code: Private First Class
                                                Component: National Guard (Officers, Warrant Officers, and Enlisted Men)
                                                Source: National Guard

                                                Education: 2 years of high school
                                                Civil Occupation: Sales clerks
                                                Marital Status: Single, without dependents
                                                Height: 68
                                                Weight: 138

                                                ************

                                                Name: Eurice M Harris
                                                Birth Year: 1926
                                                Race: White, citizen (White)
                                                Nativity State or Country: Indiana
                                                State of Residence: Indiana
                                                County or City: Madison

                                                Enlistment Date: 9 Nov 1945
                                                Enlistment State: Mississippi
                                                Enlistment City: Camp Shelby
                                                Branch: No branch assignment
                                                Branch Code: No branch assignment
                                                Grade: Private First Class
                                                Grade Code: Private First Class
                                                Term of Enlistment: One year enlistment
                                                Component: Regular Army (including Officers, Nurses, Warrant Officers, and Enlisted Men)
                                                Source: Enlisted Man, Philippine Scout or recall to AD of an enlisted man who had been transferred to the ERC

                                                Education: 2 years of high school
                                                Civil Occupation: Skilled occupations in manufacture of electrical machinery and accessories, n.e.c.
                                                Marital Status: Single, without dependents
                                                Height: 76
                                                Weight: 696

                                                > Mary, Thanks again for the info on Benjamin Harris. I had
                                                > two uncles and my father who served in WW2, could you see
                                                > what comes up? Juneius S Harris, Glen W Harris, & Eurice
                                                > M. Harris. They were all from Indiana, although I think
                                                > Eurice may have been in another state when he entered.
                                                > Thanks, Julie
                                                >

                                                > To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
                                                > From: mary.stewart52@...
                                                > Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 18:52:14 -0700
                                                > Subject: Re: [Genealogy Research Club] help searching world
                                                > war II military records
                                                >

                                                > Hi Julie ... Hope this shows up ... having trouble with cut
                                                > & paste ...
                                                > There were several Benjamin Harris' from IN listed, but the
                                                > one below was the only one I could find in Company I ...
                                                >
                                                > Name:Benjamin Harris
                                                > Residence:Montpelier, Indiana
                                                > Enlistment Date:1 Mar 1864
                                                > Side Served:Union
                                                > State Served:Indiana
                                                > Service Record:Enlisted as a Private on 1 March 1864.
                                                > Enlisted in Company I, 130th Infantry Regiment Indiana on 1
                                                > Mar 1864.
                                                > Mustered Out Company I, 130th Infantry Regiment Indiana on
                                                > 10 Dec 1865.
                                                >
                                                > Sources:76
                                                >
                                                > ________________________________

                                              • mccgram
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Jul 4, 2009
                                                  IS this Him?
                                                  U.S. Civil War Soldier Records and Profiles
                                                  about Benjamin Harris
                                                  Name: Benjamin Harris
                                                  Residence: Montpelier, Indiana
                                                  Enlistment Date: 3 Jan 1864
                                                  Rank at enlistment: Private
                                                  State Served: Indiana
                                                  Survived the War?: Yes
                                                  Service Record: Enlisted in Company I, Indiana 130th Infantry Regiment on 01 Mar 1864.
                                                  Mustered out on 10 Dec 1865.

                                                  Sources: Report of the Adjutant General of the State of Indiana

                                                  American Civil War Soldiers

                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Jul 4, 2009
                                                    HARRIS, Benjamin Dusti BIOGRAPHICAL AND HISTORICAL RECORD OF JAY AND BLACKFORD COUNTIES, INDIANA
                                                    The Lewis Publishing Company, 1887 Page 415 BENJAMIN HARRIS, a prominent citizen of Jay County, engaged in farming and
                                                    stock dealing on section 15,
                                                    Penn Township, was born in Columbiana County, Ohio, February 7, 1835, a son
                                                    of Benjamin and Asenath
                                                    (Whitaker) Harris, natives of North Carolina and Oh

                                                    > http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~injay/Records/Biographies.htm

                                                  • mccgram
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Jul 4, 2009
                                                      --->
                                                      > HARRIS Benjamin Feb 07 1835 Feb 14 1917 Penn Jay Twin Hills/IOOF IN
                                                      >
                                                      > http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~injay/Records/CemeteryRecordsFthruL.htm

                                                      Fort Wayne Journal-Gazette - February 17, 1917, Fort Wayne, Indiana

                                                      le mark T- C Doris neral Avill be held Sunday Benjamin Harris aged vears is dead at the home of a daughter...

                                                      Refine by:
                                                      Date of Publication: Saturday, February 17, 1917
                                                      City: Fort Wayne
                                                      State: Indiana
                                                      Benjamin Harris ages 82 is dead at the home of a daughter residing near Balbec. He was a Veteran of the Civil War, and in 1859 joined in the Gold Rush at Pikes Peak. He leaves 4 children. Funeral on Saturday at Pennville M>E>Church

                                                    • Julie Rittacco
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Jul 6, 2009
                                                        YES, this is him.

                                                        To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com

                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Jul 6, 2009
                                                          Thank You for this info!!!!

                                                          To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
                                                          From: mccgram@...
                                                          Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2009 21:24:28 +0000

                                                          --->

                                                          Date of Publication: Saturday, February 17, 1917
                                                          City: Fort Wayne

                                                          Message 28 of 28 , Jul 6, 2009
                                                            Thank You so very much for your help!!! Julie

                                                            To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
                                                            From: mccgram@...
                                                            Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2009 21:10:44 +0000